• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Tim Burton's "Alice In Wonderland" - March 5, 2010

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
and i did lose a substantial amount of faith in burton after the turdfest that was charlie and the chocolate factory

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
:wubbie:I love Lewis Carrol. :wubbie: (which likely means I'll be disappointed with the movie...I may need to tweak my expectations a bit)

I'll be interested to see how it turns out! Thanks for the link!

Qre:us

Who else is creaming their pants? My all-time fave book turned movie, Burtonesque style, and add to that, Depp. Even before knowing more, I predicted him to be the Madhatter...and he is! :drool:

Trailer

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
I hate all things Tim Burton, but I hear Alan Rickman is going to be an animated caterpillar so I'll probably see it.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Eh.. Tim Burton? Whatta surprise. Sounds like it could have potential, but I personally think Burton went downhill after The Nightmare Before Christmas. He's still one of the more creative popular filmmakers out there there though.

Hopefully the film is dark enough.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm a great fan of Tim Burton, and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is one of my favorite books. I think the title is a bad choice, though. It implies that this is another adaptation of the original novel when it's actually a sequel. Considering how many adaptations there already are, a lot of people will probably skip this one.

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
Hopefully Tim Burton doesn't slaughter it. I want it to be true to the story.

He makes good movies, but I really, really don't want him to screw up one of my favorite stories.:yim_phbbbbt:

shimsham

MBTI Type
infj
i'd almost prefer a terry gilliam version. alice in wonderland is actually a pretty dark story and while tim burton's visuals are apparently dark, i feel like terry gilliam would know how to really channel the heart of the original story. if anyone has seen tideland they would probably agree

+1

Tideland left me feeling stick to my stomach, but I agree that Gilliam would do an amazing job with Alice in Wonderland. I can't wait for his new movie.

Cimarron

IRL is not real
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Alice in Wonderland: approved
Tim Burton: approved
Danny Elfman: approved
Johnny Depp: okay
I think they've just done so many movies together that they're starting to all look and feel the same.
This is why I don't like the idea of "actors" and "movie stars" in general. When you've seen the same person in so many different settings and roles, he/she lives outside the movie. And that ruins the "reality" of the movie.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland is my favorite book of all time, but I usually don't care for adaptations of it. None of the adaptations I've seen have really captured the essence of it, IMO. I do like the Disney one on its own merit, not so much as a faithful adaptation of the book.

I agree that Terry Gilliam would have been a more Carroll-esque choice than Tim Burton but I still have some hope for this movie.

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
I am a big Burton Depp Elfman fan but sadly it ended after Sleepy Hollow. Charlie wasn't very good, heavily over produced to the point of looking almost sickly. I didn't like the Disney version but could see how the story could be portrayed as a visual masterpiece. Burton could do an excellant job but from what Ive seen of the the trailer I think it will be much like Charlie. I think it has less to do with Burton himself and more to do with studio involvement. Depp is going to get backing, an unknown won't. But Burton is probably to blame for his reliability on technology which interferes with what used to made his films not just visually stunning but a pleasure to immerse in.

m32

I am not surprised that Burton tries to make a film about Alice in Wonderland. The connections: drugs, creepy child fairytale and popular taste is already present in the story. Not to mention that many people who have tried to emulate (srry, emolate) his style have tried using the story Alice in Wonderland on many occasion's and there are already several films who combine the story with romantic or erotic undertones.

More traditional fairy-tales could not have been used by him because they usually originated from stories told by peasants and already have a clear raw and violent theme in them.