half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Thanks. It's like a mall store?

Why is Depp cheapening Burton in your eyes?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Yeah.

I think they've just done so many movies together that they're starting to all look and feel the same. And there's just less variety. Burton's trademark edginess just seems to be wearing off.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Hot Topics look like this. If you've ever walked by one you'll notice the gush of cool air coming out.

What Uber was saying is that Hot Topic takes whats new and raw and merchandise it. They accessorize stuff, basically. First it was Jack Skeleton from the Nightmare before Christmas, then Willie Wonka's Chocolate Factory with J. Depp, and they've done Twilight and Harry Potter as well.

It's a bit sold out, as all of the Hot Topic groupies get it fast and make it a trend. It will probably be the same way with Alice in Wonderland.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Oh, I haven't been inside a mall in years. They don't really have them out here.

Anyway, about Depp and Burton - the matter is subjective, obviously. Personally, I loved Depp since 21 Jump Street and I think he can do better than playing the same role over again in Burton's films. But I also like Burton.

Burton has a trademark look and sound - are you suggesting he get rid of Danny Elfman, as well? Or just the look?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh, I haven't been inside a mall in years. They don't really have them out here.

Anyway, about Depp and Burton - the matter is subjective, obviously. Personally, I loved Depp since 21 Jump Street and I think he can do better than playing the same role over again in Burton's films. But I also like Burton.

Burton has a trademark look and sound - are you suggesting he get rid of Danny Elfman, as well? Or just the look?
    I like Burton, as well. Personally, my favorite movie of his was Mars Attacks.

And Danny Elfman is one of my favorite movie composers. I consistently like when Elfman and Burton team up.

I guess the look of his movies is becoming more mainstream as culture evolves and not as unique as it once was.

When I watched Burton's earlier movies, I used to anticipate what he's working on next via movie rumors because he always brought a unique flair into everything he touched. But now, he's just getting predictable.

I still like his movies, but they don't capture my interest like they used to. But yes, I know I'm being subjective.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Well, he should step his game up then, but I don't think Depp is dragging him down... But maybe I don't mind because I will find any excuse to stare at that man? Honestly, I'm a bit tired of Elfman.

Directors, and artists of all sorts, are in a unique position once they start getting mimicked. Do they change the style that they themselves created, do they continue making a mark in their own style to show them who's boss, do they just run out of steam and fade into the background? Relevance is a funny thing.

Phantonym

Hmmm. I wonder. How do you feel about Helena Bonham Carter?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Liked her in Harry Potter and Fight Club.
    I'm a huge fan, but I have to be in the mood, you know?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5w6
    Socionics
    ILI

I'm excited for this movie! I love things that are visually stimulating and dark. I think the whole Johnny Depp and Tim burton team is getting old.. but I won't complain if the story/acting is worth a watch!
    Always be sincere, whether you mean it or not.

MBTI
    STFU

i'd almost prefer a terry gilliam version. alice in wonderland is actually a pretty dark story and while tim burton's visuals are apparently dark, i feel like terry gilliam would know how to really channel the heart of the original story. if anyone has seen tideland they would probably agree