User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    everyone and their dad listened to depeche mode, massive attack, tricky and aphex twin before kid a came out. radiohead just took a good thing and made it their own and then ended up influencing alot of cats that in turn made some pretty good music, too. and they didnt step on ANY of their influences along the way. i read in one interview where they said something akin to how deep down they wish they were massive attack. they are showing love to their influences without compromising artistic integrity.
    What the hell does it mean to "step on an influence?" I have no idea what you are talking about here. And I don't think many 14-year-old Americans were taking their dads to see Tricky and Jeru the Damaja in 1996, but I did.

and saying that thom yorke's voice isn't the most appropriate for electronic music shows you have alot to learn about electronic music. there's more of it and more kinds of it out there than you can possibly imagine.
    No, it doesn't. It shows I have an opinion based on what I've heard. Don't make unfounded assumptions.

and thom yorke's voice was being used for electronic music before kid a came out.

check out "rabbit in your headlights" by unkle
    I know that song. It is a mostly piano-driven spacy slow song, though. Not the same as some of the more pounding, rhythmic or atonal stuff Radiohead has done. Pretty good in any event. I like DJ Shadow's album better than the UNKLE album.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    What the hell does it mean to "step on an influence?" I have no idea what you are talking about here.
    in the context i was giving it meant taking a musical idea and emulating it in an unoriginal manner in a way that appears as if it was the imitator's idea, as to "step on" the original artist's toes.

lots of people do that. look at all the nu-metal bands that copied the deftones in the early 00's.

as well as all the schlock-rock bands whose lead singers use their baritone voices as to imitate eddie vedder's moaning.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    in the context i was giving it meant taking a musical idea and emulating it in an unoriginal manner in a way that appears as if it was the imitator's idea, as to "step on" the original artist's toes.

lots of people do that. look at all the nu-metal bands that copied the deftones in the early 00's.

as well as all the schlock-rock bands whose lead singers use their baritone voices as to imitate eddie vedder's moaning.

That always happens. Sometimes, those crappy bands were around before the good ones even got popular. A lot of the hype comes from record labels and radio programmers picking up on a trend, not bands suddenly switching styles. Most bands are not Godsmack (who were a crappy Alice in Chains cover band before changing to a crappy Alice in Chains-influenced post-grunge band).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I guess my main problem with The Bends is I have a hard time telling one song from the other. I suppose one could say that about a lot of Radiohead albums, but I don't have that problem with the other albums.

Other than "Fake Plastic Trees" and "Street Spirit" the entire album runs together in one long smear.
    I guess that's what happens when you're deaf in both ears.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

The Bends I found really bland. I liked OK Computer, Kid A, and Amnesiac a lot. Okay Computer was probably the best album of the 1990s. Hail to the Thief was okay, and In Rainbows was a little less okay.

And with all the talk about being cool, and esoteric lyrics, and all of that shit, I feel a little left out, since the thing I like the most about Radiohead is the sound of the music.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    The Bends I found really bland. I liked OK Computer, Kid A, and Amnesiac a lot. Okay Computer was probably the best album of the 1990s. Hail to the Thief was okay, and In Rainbows was a little less okay.

And with all the talk about being cool, and esoteric lyrics, and all of that shit, I feel a little left out, since the thing I like the most about Radiohead is the sound of the music.

There are better albums of the 1990s. Best album of 1997, perhaps. It would have some competition.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

I don't have a problem when bands do that. Bowie used to do it all the time, and it was great. U2 changed things up majorly with Achtung Baby, and ended up with arguably their second-best album. The problem was that they continued further down that road with Zooropa and Pop, and the songs weren't as good. I don't give bands points for being "experimental" if the music ends up weaker, and I think Radiohead did, especially after Kid A. I was just listening to Hail to the Thief, and it was just straight-up boring at parts. Radiohead is not a boring band.
    Word. I agree about Amnesiac and HTTT definitely meandering/getting boring too much, but I think Kid A was significantly stronger than either of them. (Though probably still not as good as OK Computer or In Rainbows.

I was listening to Depeche Mode and Massive Attack and Tricky and Aphex Twin before Radiohead starting becoming more electronic and less guitar-driven. They never sounded like they were changing the world to me. I don't think Thom Yorke's voice is the most appropriate for electronic music songs, either.
    I think "electronic music songs" is waaaaay too broad to declare anything relevant along those lines. Yorke's voice is very appropriate for Radiohead's music...not sure about any other electronic music, but he doesn't really sing on non-Radiohead music much, so it doesn't matter.

Usually the hushed, panicked tone of his voice is far more important to the feel of the song than what he's actually saying. Ni often writes lyrics that describe a general feeling in a very vague sense such that the lyrics don't really particularly even mean anything--they just combine with Yorke's unusual/paranoid tone to suggest a feeling, and that's pretty cool.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

...You all do realize that taste can't be argued in objective terms, right? It can't even really be argued.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    ...You all do realize that taste can't be argued in objective terms, right? It can't even really be argued.
    COLDPLAY RULEZ!!!!!!!!!!

MBTI
    STUF

This thread has become a pile of shit and ego comparisons.

You'd think after grasping at each other's cocks in the darkness for nine pages in hopes of making comparisons you'd get bored. Apparently not.

You like the music or you do not, the topic here was the possible release of a new EP, for which I am excited. This song was also released recently, not sure if it was mentioned in this thread [YOUTUBE="vztj_TnUQyY"]Harry Patch(In Memory of)[/YOUTUBE]
    Whoops.