User Tag List

First 678910 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

^ On the flip side, though, you're being really obnoxious to merc for no apparent reason.

Taken in the context in which it was intended, The Bends is arguably as good as some of the other albums.

Merc probably doesn't like their later stuff because it completely abandoned the pop song format, which is fair enough. If you build a particular sound that people are used to, they're never very happy when you change it dramatically.

Personally The Bends was my favorite Radiohead album for a long time--these days it's probably either OK Computer or In Rainbows. Kid A is good but very overrated because it got so much critical praise at the time it came out that nobody stopped to notice that, hey wait, RADIOHEAD DIDN'T INVENT ELECTRONIC MUSIC.

But since they've been incorrectly credited with doing so for so long now, the frankly mediocre Amnesiac and the hardly-better-than-mediocre Hail to the Thief get rated way higher than they should, as well. Music critique is funny like that.

It's still a great album; it just doesn't deserve the level of gratuitous over-praise that it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    Well you can't really blame me, I mean, I was only 1-year old when The Bends came out. It's not like I could've crawled to the local record store and listened to the newest Radiohead record at the moment.
    Oh, I get it. You're 15.

All is forgiven
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    But since they've been incorrectly credited with doing so for so long now, the frankly mediocre Amnesiac and the hardly-better-than-mediocre Hail to the Thief get rated way higher than they should, as well. Music critique is funny like that.
    I like Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief, regardless of the fact that I'm a "latter-day Radiohead fan," or whatever merc was talking about, they're still fantastic albums and I've chatted with many older Radiohead fans who think the same way. You just have to give them a chance. Just like John Lennon said

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

I guess my main problem with The Bends is I have a hard time telling one song from the other. I suppose one could say that about a lot of Radiohead albums, but I don't have that problem with the other albums.

Other than "Fake Plastic Trees" and "Street Spirit" the entire album runs together in one long smear.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    I like Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief, regardless of the fact that I'm a "latter-day Radiohead fan," or whatever merc was talking about, they're still fantastic albums and I've chatted with many older Radiohead fans who think the same way. You just have to give them a chance. Just like John Lennon said
    I'm not sure if that's condescension or just naivete.

Suffice it to say, if you think the only reason I dislike either of those albums is that I "haven't given them a chance"...

I know you're really young, but this is a great opportunity to start learning how condescending Fi sounds without you necessarily realizing it.

So realize it, and stop it.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ^ On the flip side, though, you're being really obnoxious to merc for no apparent reason.

Taken in the context in which it was intended, The Bends is arguably as good as some of the other albums.

Merc probably doesn't like their later stuff because it completely abandoned the pop song format, which is fair enough. If you build a particular sound that people are used to, they're never very happy when you change it dramatically.
    I don't have a problem when bands do that. Bowie used to do it all the time, and it was great. U2 changed things up majorly with Achtung Baby, and ended up with arguably their second-best album. The problem was that they continued further down that road with Zooropa and Pop, and the songs weren't as good. I don't give bands points for being "experimental" if the music ends up weaker, and I think Radiohead did, especially after Kid A. I was just listening to Hail to the Thief, and it was just straight-up boring at parts. Radiohead is not a boring band.

Personally The Bends was my favorite Radiohead album for a long time--these days it's probably either OK Computer or In Rainbows. Kid A is good but very overrated because it got so much critical praise at the time it came out that nobody stopped to notice that, hey wait, RADIOHEAD DIDN'T INVENT ELECTRONIC MUSIC.

It's still a great album; it just doesn't deserve the level of gratuitous over-praise that it gets.
    I was listening to Depeche Mode and Massive Attack and Tricky and Aphex Twin before Radiohead starting becoming more electronic and less guitar-driven. They never sounded like they were changing the world to me. I don't think Thom Yorke's voice is the most appropriate for electronic music songs, either.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I don't think Thom Yorke's voice is the most appropriate for electronic music songs, either.
    Really? His voice is so pretty for a male, I think it skates on top of their soundscapes to great effect.

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post

Other than "Fake Plastic Trees" and "Street Spirit" the entire album runs together in one long smear.
    haha

MBTI
    STFU

just is a standout song on the bends, though

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I was listening to Depeche Mode and Massive Attack and Tricky and Aphex Twin before Radiohead starting becoming more electronic and less guitar-driven. They never sounded like they were changing the world to me. I don't think Thom Yorke's voice is the most appropriate for electronic music songs, either.
    everyone and their dad listened to depeche mode, massive attack, tricky and aphex twin before kid a came out. radiohead just took a good thing and made it their own and then ended up influencing alot of cats that in turn made some pretty good music, too. and they didnt step on ANY of their influences along the way. i read in one interview where they said something akin to how deep down they wish they were massive attack. they are showing love to their influences without compromising artistic integrity.

and saying that thom yorke's voice isn't the most appropriate for electronic music shows you have alot to learn about electronic music. there's more of it and more kinds of it out there than you can possibly imagine.

and thom yorke's voice was being used for electronic music before kid a came out.

check out "rabbit in your headlights" by unkle

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Really? His voice is so pretty for a male, I think it skates on top of their soundscapes to great effect.

I wouldn't call it "pretty." When he overdoes it, he sounds like a wounded animal. The lack of clear enunciation makes me strain to figure out what he is trying to say, which can be distracting. It's not as if he is Liz Fraser, with the singing intentionally unintelligible and mostly sonic seasoning, if you will.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"