User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Gish View Post
    This thread has become a pile of shit and ego comparisons.

You'd think after grasping at each other's cocks in the darkness for nine pages in hopes of making comparisons you'd get bored. Apparently not.

You like the music or you do not, the topic here was the possible release of a new EP, for which I am excited. This song was also released recently, not sure if it was mentioned in this thread [YOUTUBE="vztj_TnUQyY"]Harry Patch(In Memory of)[/YOUTUBE]

I mentioned it.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    ...You all do realize that taste can't be argued in objective terms, right? It can't even really be argued.

Art can be argued in objective terms. You can't just say, "It's all a matter of taste." If you did, there would be no way to declare that The Beatles were better than Backstreet Boys. You have to be able to do that if you are going to criticize anything, otherwise it just becomes a bunch of people shrieking about biases.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Art can be argued in objective terms. You can't just say, "It's all a matter of taste." If you did, there would be no way to declare that The Beatles were better than Backstreet Boys. You have to be able to do that if you are going to criticize anything, otherwise it just becomes a bunch of people shrieking about biases.
    Yes, good point. This is precisely what I was trying to say in that recent "OMG LET'S COMPLAIN ABOUT CELEBRITY ENTERTAINERS THAT WE HATE AND NOT POST IT IN THE FLUFF ZONE THEN WHINE WHEN PEOPLE COMPLAIN THAT IT'S FLUFF" thread.

It's important to realize that there are two separate and distinct perspectives on art critique, both of which must be taken into account.

In truth, there is no total objectivity about who's a good artist and who isn't, but if you try to conceptualize art in purely deductive terms, then it's going to lead you to a lot of absurdities, like the whole "IT'S ALL 100% OPINION SO DON'T EVEN TRY TO SAY ANYTHING OBJECTIVE" thing, which is again, stupid.

So while we must accept that all art is fundamentally subjective, we can reach a sort of inductive quasi-objectivity given a lot of critical analysis and opinions of the informed over time. We can never say empirically that the Beatles were better than the Backstreet Boys, but if you don't agree with that, it's inductively highly probable that you're wrong.

Discussing art in "objective" terms, even though it never reaches true 100% objectivity, requires a significant background and context in terms of:

--What the prevailing styles of the time were
    --What the band/artist was trying to accomplish (make a statement? sell records? get chicks?)
    --How the band/artist compares to its contemporaries who produced similar music under similar conditions during the same time period

Certain Ti/Fi users, especially, have a hard time with this latter part sometimes because they think they can "objectively" evaluate art according to whatever arbitrary inner standards they've decided constitute "good art", and ignore the context/declare everything else that doesn't fit into that mold "obviously and objectively bad."

(These people usually think they know a lot more about music than they actually do.)
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

But taste in music has no objectivity. Was is considered good is entirely in the mind, and in every mind it is different. And no one, you included, actually has a rational explanation for why you like any music at all. Response to music is inately irrational.

But I think you're right, there isn't a way to argue that the Beatles are better than the Backstreet Boys, and it does become a bunch of people shrieking about biases. That's why I think it's a waste of time.

If I argued about who demonstrated more skill, then yeah, I could try to make an objective argument. But that's not the same as saying someone made music I like.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    But taste in music has no objectivity. Was is considered good is entirely in the mind, and in every mind it is different. And no one, you included, actually has a rational explanation for why you like any music at all. Response to music is inately irrational.

But I think you're right, there isn't a way to argue that the Beatles are better than the Backstreet Boys, and it does become a bunch of people shrieking about biases. That's why I think it's a waste of time.

If I argued about who demonstrated more skill, then yeah, I could try to make an objective argument. But that's not the same as saying someone made music I like.

There is a major difference between "This music is good" and "I like this music." They are NOT the same things, and people need to figure that out.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

There is a major difference between "This music is good" and "I like this music." They are NOT the same things, and people need to figure that out.
    Okay.

1: How do you prove that music is good?

and

2: What is your intended goal in proving to someone that music is good?
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    lol

coldplay is nothing but well-produced adult contemporary.
    Does it matter?

I like Coldplay. I also like Radiohead.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I guess my main problem with The Bends is I have a hard time telling one song from the other. I suppose one could say that about a lot of Radiohead albums, but I don't have that problem with the other albums.

Other than "Fake Plastic Trees" and "Street Spirit" the entire album runs together in one long smear.
    I just listened to The Bends again.

I didn't even notice when "Just" was on.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I just listened to The Bends again.

I didn't even notice when "Just" was on.

That's insane. "Nice Dream" is so midtempo and lilting until the brief loud section that "Just" is a blast out of left frield.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

That's insane. "Nice Dream" is so midtempo and lilting until the brief loud section that "Just" is a blast out of left frield.
    I don't know what to say. It doesn't make an impact on me.