User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    Yes this was an odd/unclear/interesting ending with several theories and interpretations.

In general simply saw it as Noodles becoming high as he looks at his life with a mixture of fascination, self loathing and (as the buzz kicks in) contentment/relief. It was always however a little unclear on the time of the last shot was it at the end or somewhere in the middle of the timeline?

Might have missed something because that is all I recall since it has been a while since I last saw it...damm now I wanna see it again...
    Ah it's wether Max topped himself into the dust cart or not. 4 hours or so of movie and you don't get the end. I love the score and that Noodles loves Max as a brother... (unusal I don't normally like violent movies). Persumably it bombed when it was first releast, it is beautifully crafted.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by lost verses View Post
    I noticed a lot of INFPs liked "Lost In translation"...something about this movie must resonate well with our belief and/or entertainment system? Maybe I should give that film a try?
    Yes! You should.
    Very good movie.
    It doesn't have much of a plot, the two protagonists are trying to "find" themselves, and the movie finishes with an open ending.
    Three criteria for any INFP to love!
    I enjoyed this movie even though I have a thing about older men and younger women together (cringe). Especially if there's a significant age gap. Maybe it's the appearance of a power imbalance? Don't know.
    Good movie still.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Yes! You should.
    Very good movie.
    It doesn't have much of a plot, the two protagonists are trying to "find" themselves, and the movie finishes with an open ending.
    Three criteria for any INFP to love!
    I'm all about the dialogue, atmosphere, and character development

Although, in college, I got the director's cut (or some other cut) of Lost In Translation to play at editing with, and I liked it a lot better, but then it was the first version I saw. When I actually saw the official cut I was a bit disappointed.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    I'm all about the dialogue, atmosphere, and character development

Although, in college, I got the director's cut (or some other cut) of Lost In Translation to play at editing with, and I liked it a lot better, but then it was the first version I saw. When I actually saw the official cut I was a bit disappointed.
    What was the original like?

MBTI
    INtP

I probably don't have 15, but I'll give this a shot:

--Star Wars (the obvious winner... I was 6 in 1977, and it was the first movie I saw in a theater - others not necessarily in order)
    --Shawshank Redemption
    --American History X
    --Schindler's List
    --Forrest Gump
    --Cast Away
    --National Treasure (may not fit with the others, but I just love this movie)
    --Star Trek II/IV/XI
    --Titanic (not that it was necessarily a favorite, but it did stick with me and turned me on to reading about the history of the time)
    --The Phantom Menace (the script was cringeworthy, but I was quite excited to see it, and it paid off in terms of "feel like a kid again" tone if not quality)
    --Rashomon
    --Full Metal Jacket
    --Stand By Me
    --Blade Runner

I guess that's 14... but to make it 15 I'll give a dishonorable mention to:
    --Death Wish 3 (I think it was 3) - this one needs explanation. It was *awful*. I wound up seeing it at my Dad's house with him and my step-mom when I was home from college for the holidays - they'd rented it because they thought it was a fun action movie. It wasn't. We turned it off in the middle of a brutal scene of numerous men assaulting a woman. Watching that, even if for only a few minutes - with your parents - well, it *did* stick with me. I wish it hadn't.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    What was the original like?
    It was more focused on the girl than Bill Murray. The theme of the story and character development was explored more thoroughly, and it was a bit less kitschy in parts, as far as the "Japan can seem bizarre to foreigners" angle. Same story, just a slightly better telling & perspective.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Life Is Beautiful
    The Seven Samauri
    Citizen Kain
    It's a Wonderful Life
    My Fair Lady
    Star Wars: A New Hope
    Les Miserables (Black and White version)
    Unbreakable
    The Princess Bride
    Forest Gump
    Catch Me If You Can
    Lord of the Rings trilogy
    Random Harvest
    Napolean Dynamite
    Thank You For Smoking

(I have a ton more favorites, but these are the first 15 I thought of.)
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    Thank You For Smoking
    I loved this movie...was it just me or did it seem to sort of disappear right after it came out? I don't remember it getting a lot of acclaim.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    I loved this movie...was it just me or did it seem to sort of disappear right after it came out? I don't remember it getting a lot of acclaim.
    I ended up seeing it on video. I have no idea how long it lasted in theatres. It's a shame if it didn't do well, because it's an extremely well made film. Perhaps it didn't appeal to a big crowd because of the moral ambiguity toward big tobacco?
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    I ended up seeing it on video. I have no idea how long it lasted in theatres. It's a shame if it didn't do well, because it's an extremely well made film.
    Mhm, I saw it on cable. I don't think it got a lot of play at theaters, at least in my area.

Perhaps it didn't appeal to a big crowd because of the moral ambiguity toward big tobacco?
    That could certainly be it
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"