• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

AFL (aussie rules)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Being a Melbournian this is a sport I love, and also have trouble avoiding :).

Are there many other Australians, or overseas people on here who are into the aussie rules? Who do you guys support? What are your thoughts on the competition this year? Who are you expecting to be a threat in September? Which outside chances do you think might come up and be a surprise?

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Love it, love it, LOVE IT and this year is AWESOMETASTIC!!

Ps I'm a Saints supporter :D

For those who give a shit but don't know what that means;

St Kilda est: 1873

Bottom of the ladder finishes: 26 times. The eternal underdog.

Premierships: 1 in 1966. Yes one premiership in 135 years!

But then... 2009 season so far:
19 wins
0 losses
163%
Top of the ladder and lookin' pruddy.

:yay:

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
:). Saints are on fire at the moment. Saw last week's win, and it was clinical.

I'm a Geelong supporter :). So I'm hoping we get back on track and give you a good fight for it. Been looking forward to a Saints v Cats showdown since 2004 when we both almost got there as young teams.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Hell yeah. Seems destined to be Cat v Sainters final atm.

Wouldn't mind a Crows v Saints final though, I have a soft spot for the local team... as long as they lose :D

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
ahh footy

I just have a top 4 preference,

Melbourne Demons
West Coast Eagles
Western Bulldogs
Sydney Swans

Whoever does well enough is okay, am nonchalant about the sport though. WB's seem to be doing well this time round.
Yes most likely a saints and cats final.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
I've tried to like it for most of my life. I've really tried. But I just can't get into it. Even when the local team (West Coast Eagles) were doing well. Cricket was a breeze to get passionate about, and more recently rugby union has made a spirited grab for my heart. But AFL? Meh. Maybe if we had some international competition I'd be able to muster some interest. And before you bring up International Rules take a good hard look at yourself.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP

You know AFL is just the bastard offspring of rugby union and soccer. C'mon, I know you know it. :hi:

It's really just robbing a significant portion of our sportsmen of the opportunity to represent their nation.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Sports progress OhJivinOne, they progress!

The wonderful men who invented AFL took the best on offer from rugby and soccer and created this magnificent bastard child called footy. We owe them much!

wolfy

awsm
Why is the favourite lift among AFL players the barbell biceps curl? Answers anyone?
That's all I want to know. I prefer league.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Sports progress OhJivinOne, they progress!

The wonderful men who invented AFL took the best on offer from rugby and soccer and created this magnificent bastard child called footy. We owe them much!

I admire your blind loyalty Trin, I really do. You attached to AFL young and you're sticking with it no matter what. Maybe you think you can't do any better, I dunno. So even though no other country on the planet likes AFL and they all know it's no good for you, you're still standing by your sport. I can admire that. A lot of people don't realize how much courage it can take to settle.

But Trinity, I'm speaking here as a friend. You could do so much better. You don't need AFL. AFL needs you. It's slowing you down. It's keeping you from finding a sport which has real prospects. Why would you want to follow a domestic sport when you could follow an international one? A sport which is as much awesomer than AFL as AFL is awesomer than soccer?

darth-vader.jpg

Follow rugby union, Trin. Just give it a go. See how you like it.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I admire your blind loyalty Trin, I really do. You attached to AFL young and you're sticking with it no matter what. Maybe you think you can't do any better, I dunno. So even though no other country on the planet likes AFL and they all know it's no good for you, you're still standing by your sport. I can admire that. A lot of people don't realize how much courage it can take to settle.

But Trinity, I'm speaking here as a friend. You could do so much better. You don't need AFL. AFL needs you. It's slowing you down. It's keeping you from finding a sport which has real prospects. Why would you want to follow a domestic sport when you could follow an international one? A sport which is as much awesomer than AFL as AFL is awesomer than soccer?

darth-vader.jpg

Follow rugby union, Trin. Just give it a go. See how you like it.

Accccctually dark one... I grew up passionately hating AFL.

You see Jeff, I was a rugby fan through and through, I was blinded by the game where one man rams his head up the ass of two guys who are simultaneously ramming their heads up the asses of two other guys and a hooker with extra men on either side trying to get in on the action. League was my main passion not union although I did indeed dig on both. My heroes as a wee tacker were men like Langer, Meninga, Harrigan and the Walter’s brothers. I lived and breathed Rugby. I still rank both games well but I have seen the golden light, at 18 I came of age, at 18 I found my way down the glorious path that is true footy fandom and I loved it! One day you can take this same trek Jeff, one day you can see the light, I shall pray that you do :)

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I never really saw much rugby except international union games till I lived in Canberra for a while. League was okay to watch, loved the sound of the hits. I actually saw Joey John's last game as my first game I went to.

AFL is an obsession though.

bronson

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Haha... sorry.

Rugby's okay to play.
Never really watched it...
Brought up on AFL in Victoria.

I remember travelling interstate as a kid and wondering at those weird Rugby goals - I just didn't get it.