• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Final Fantasy Thread

IZthe411

Carerra Lu
MBTI Type
INTJ
I would check Ebay or Amazon for the ones I listed. Final Fantasy VII and VIII are also available for digital download onto a PS3 or PSP at the Playstation Network.

Cool I'll check them out. I never personally owned a playstation (my brother had one). I've had Nintendo Consoles and the first Xbox.

One of my friends stayed at my house and left his playstation there. I don't know if it's a 2 or 3. Sounds like if it's a 2, I can't DL. Hopefully it's a 3.

Idec Sdawkminn

MBTI Type
EPIC
I know I'm resurrecting a thread, but I didn't want to start a new one just for a video. This is a video I made showing the materia setup I devised to be able to defeat Ruby Weapon and Emerald Weapon. It is the only one I know of that features the defeat of both Ruby Weapon and Emerald Weapon in the same video under 10 minutes without any parts cut out.

My favorite FF is FF7, then FF8, then FF9, then FF6. I've played FF1 a little, never played 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 12, or 13.

[YOUTUBE="ROzfvj3v2VU"]Ruby and Emerald Weapon Massacred by Cloud[/YOUTUBE]

Description:
Cloud single-handedly defeats both Ruby Weapon and Emerald Weapon.

No cheats of any kind used
No KOTR or any other summons
No Limit Breaks used
No 7777s
No Final Attack
No Revive or Restore or any other magic (including Enemy Skill)
Hero Drink (medicine) is the only item used (no dazers)

This is the PC version of FF7. I have a custom OpenGL graphics driver, created by Aali, to give it higher resolution and a translucent battle menu.
Link here: Custom graphics driver for FF7/FF8 [v0.7.8b]

I also have seifer's FF7 Retranslation Project version 001 installed. It retranslates things to make it accurate to the Japanese version.
Link here: [WIP] FFVII Retranslation Project

None of these mods change the gameplay or difficulty in any way. Cloud, Ruby Weapon, and Emerald Weapon are exactly the same as the PSX and unmodified PC version.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Idec Sdawkminn,

Very cool video. It's been quite a few years since I've fought the Ruby and Emerald Weapons, so let me see if I understand the video properly. (Also I'm used to the PS1 version.)

First you take a lot of Hero Medicine. (Does that boost Strength?) Then it looks like you have counterattacking materia with materia that heals you when you do damage. Also you use Enemy Skill materia to do "4x cut". Is that your basic strategy?

Also let me say that I'm impressed you could defeat the Emerald Weapon in just a few minutes using only Cloud. I would have thought you'd need three characters regardless of what strategy you used. Thanks for sharing your video.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
Hah, the Mimic/Command Counter overload tactic. So game-breaking.

I didn't learn about that trick until about 10 years after the game was original released.

Been a huge fan of this franchise for a long time now, but I'll wait until some more discussion starts up in this thread again before I start going into any indepth detail on that.

Idec Sdawkminn

MBTI Type
EPIC
Idec Sdawkminn,

Very cool video. It's been quite a few years since I've fought the Ruby and Emerald Weapons, so let me see if I understand the video properly. (Also I'm used to the PS1 version.)

First you take a lot of Hero Medicine. (Does that boost Strength?) Then it looks like you have counterattacking materia with materia that heals you when you do damage. Also you use Enemy Skill materia to do "4x cut". Is that your basic strategy?

Also let me say that I'm impressed you could defeat the Emerald Weapon in just a few minutes using only Cloud. I would have thought you'd need three characters regardless of what strategy you used. Thanks for sharing your video.
Hero Medicine boosts all stats, but only for that battle. It doesn't effect the Emerald Weapon one. I do it because Ruby Weapon's defense is so high that normally my hits would do in the 1,000-2,000 range.

I have Command Counter with Mimic a bunch and 4x Cut is a Command Materia. However, HP Absorb doesn't work with Command Materia that replaces the normal Attack command, so I have to link it with Master Command to achieve the effect.

Having the other characters doesn't make the battle any faster, oddly enough. It actually makes it slow since Emerald Weapon will do Emerald Beam and make his eyes appear sooner and those take longer to kill.
Hah, the Mimic/Command Counter overload tactic. So game-breaking.

I didn't learn about that trick until about 10 years after the game was original released.

Been a huge fan of this franchise for a long time now, but I'll wait until some more discussion starts up in this thread again before I start going into any indepth detail on that.
Yeah, but at least I don't use Limit Breaks or KOTR. That's how most people use Mimic/Command Counter.

Eruca

78% me
MBTI Type
INxx
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Im actually playing Final Fantasy 12, my first Final Fantasy game, on my recently bought 2nd hand PS2.

Im finding it a little dull. :doh:

Does it get better as it goes on? I have very much enjoyed other RPGs such as Skies of Arcadia in the past.

Risen

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Im actually playing Final Fantasy 12, my first Final Fantasy game, on my recently bought 2nd hand PS2.

Does it get better as it goes on? I have very much enjoyed other RPGs such as Skies of Arcadia in the past.

Depends. If you're really into playing rpgs for story, then you will find the game to be lackluster. However, if you can appreciate the gameplay elements as much/more than story elements, you'll find FF12 to be top notch. What it lacks in story it makes up for in gameplay, and the overall vibe and style of it all grows on you with time. I think it was harder for me to warm up to it at first because of the previous style of FF games I'd become accustomed to. But eventually I grew to like it so much that I played through it twice. The weapons, battle mechanics, and environments really draw you into the game. The music isn't much though.

Einnas

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4~9
I love ff10, ff10-2 ^^

playing 6 and 12 at the moment.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
Final Fantasy 3 (DS) - Uninspiring

Final Fantasy 7 - My favorite

Final Fantasy 8 - Fun

Final Fantasy 9 - It was okay, sort of depressing

Final Fantasy 10 - One of my favorites

Final Fantasy 12 - I seriously found the gameplay fun lol (although some ppl disagree). Graphics were nice too for the PS2, the story wasn't that great though =(

Final Fantasy 13 - Nice graphics, ok battle system, bland characters and storyline

Final Fantasy Tactics PS1 - Amazing

Final Fantasy Tactics Advance- It was ok

My ranking would be (in terms of sheer entertainment):

FF7 = FF10 > FFT = FF8 > FFXII > FF9 = FFXIII > FFTA > FFIII (DS)

Last edited:

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
You found Final Fantasy 3 uninspiring? Jesus, it's what led to FFT by virtue of refining its Job System into FFV.

FFIII was probably the best FF of its time, considering it first came out on the Famicom.

Words of Ivory

facettes de la petite mor
MBTI Type
INFJ
FFIII was probably the best FF of its time, considering it first came out on the Famicom.
I think what he's referring to as III is what is more now more commonly known as VI.

Of course, calling VI uninspiring is nothing short of heresy! *brandishes his broadsword*

Blank

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I think what he's referring to as III is what is more now more commonly known as VI.

:facepalm: After X amount of years and countless clarifications, people should start getting it right by now. And no, I do NOT care that FFVI was released as FFIII outside Japan.

Rainne

One day and the next
MBTI Type
ISTP
I should have probably been more clear, I found FFIII (the DS version) boring lol. I don't know if it's any different from the original FFIII though. Also, I forgot FFXIII in my post =(

Scott N Denver

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

I thought so. I thought it was rather slow and boring at the beginning, but once you get out of the first town and the story starts picking up I thought it was MUCH more interesting. Orphan kids and underground, kinda boring. Save the queen and then the story really starts picking up. I've not finished it yet, but have found it to be very enjoyable once it picked up. Also, the main quest is often very easy, but some of the marks and side quests and espers are REALLY hard [gilgamesh/man of mystery, cuchalainn, trickster]

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As one can deduce from my avatar, Final Fantasy Tactics is the only game I liked, and apparently the game that is not listed here. The rest are too mindless and simple for my amazingly complex-driven mind.

animenagai

MBTI Type
NeFi
Enneagram
4w3
I'm a fan of 4-10, but since then, it's gone to shit. Personally, I'm not a fan of 12. The characters were bland, and I did not like the battle system. 13 had no sense of adventure or exploration, and was no doubt the cheesiest in terms of monologue.