User Tag List

123 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

Default Literature class books that you enjoyed aned did not enjoy

I'm kind of curious what books people enjoyed and why, partially for curiosity and partially just for something to talk about (Since a lot of people probably take some sort of literature classes in various years of school.)

MBTI
    ENTJ

I had to read Brave New World and I thank my English teacher for it. I also had to read some Roald Dahl books as a kid (like the witches) and thought they were great. All didn't like the other books I had to read.

MBTI
    OMNi

I would say that To Kill a Mocking Bird was one of my most memorable reads. I believe that would have been in Sophmore English class. I've always been attracted to stories with sad endings. Everything by Shakespeare was pretty good. I don't know why, but I found Grendel, Of Mice and Men, and The Old Man and the Sea to be rather annoying. For my Junior year, I read The Winds of War and Les Miserables and they are still my favorite novels.

And my favorite short story will always be "The Lottery".

MBTI
    ISXJ

Hmmm some of my favorite from lit classes have been:

"Candide" by Voltaire...heroic, mysterious, awkward/odd/quirky, complicated and yet simple all at once.

"Oedipus Rex" by Socrates (I think?)

"In the Time of the Butterflies"

"Cronica de una muerte anunciada" ("Chronicle of a Death Fortold"...it's available in English) by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. It's just a different kind of story...Marquez is a very good writer IMO if you ever get the chance to read his stuff.

**From earlier in life/for pure enjoyment books**

"The Giver" (I read this book in the 5th grade, and I have not read again it since then...but I remember being completely engrossed in this story).

The whole "Chronicles of Narnia" series...C.S. Lewis is brilliant

"I Love Everybody (and other atrocious lies)" by Laurie Notaro...it's a chick book, but Notaro is hilarious. I have never read a book that made me laugh uncontrollably out loud. (a.k.a. an airplane ride is not an appropriate place to read this book)

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

+1 for Chronicles of Narnia... had The lion, the witch and the wardrobe in elementary or what not.

Other ones I liked
    Catcher in the Rye
    Animal Farm
    Shakespeare plays

Stuff I didn't like
    mostly short stories which I couldn't ever recall the names to...
    Oh stuff by Margaret Atwood (spl?)... didn't like her at all.

MBTI
    INTJ

The only book that I ever enjoyed that I was forced to read was The Great Gatsby and that was probably just because of the organized crime element.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    WOLF

Enjoyable:

Candide, le grand cahier, huis clos. Come to think of it, I enjoyed most of the literature for the French classes, I just detested the French classes themselves, since I suck at French.

thinking, thinking....

Okay. I didn't enjoy the Joy luck club, about a boy or the great gatsby. To be fair I don't think I managed to read all of great gatsby but our teacher managed to piss me off to such an extent that everything she taught us turned toxic to me. In her praise, she did introduce me to ''the lottery''.

I'm not going to sit here, staring at my screen until I remember more, so that's it. I know we must have read some more, but I remember very little.

MBTI
    XNTX

I liked "Fahrenheit 451".

Basically because it seemed to represent the future so well.

Worst thing is that over time it becomes more and more real.

The dogs that chased the criminals that appeared on the screens for the viewers to watch. (Just like we now have helicopters in on the chase and filming the action live)

The people that just watched the screens on the walls that surrounded them, never venturing into the real world (Which is pretty much how the internet is going, and we are going to join into it far more yet).

MBTI
    Pfft

Probably the worst book I reemember being forced upon me in highschool was My Antonia by Willa Cather -- Fantasies inspired by an unrequited love were never so bland. I did learn something important, though--if you want to get a decent grade, reading the teacher is more important than reading the text.

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by Rhu View Post
    Probably the worst book I remember being forced upon me in highschool was My Antonia by Willa Cather
    Lol...I had to read that too! I was actually gonna list it as one of the worst that I have ever read...but I figured no one would have even heard of it so I didn't bother. Oy, it was terrible!

I thought "The Red Pony" by John Stienbeck was bad too. But that was back in elementary/middle school.