• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

In a music Rut... Help.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I have been listening to the same music for years. I'm stuck. I rarely try anything new because (I'm a dick about music) there doesn't really appear to be any that's good. From what I've read here there seems to be plenty of people with good taste. So I'm asking for suggestions. Here's a little taste of the music I like:

Modest Mouse
Ween
Radiohead
Pixies
The Pogues
Bjork
PJ Harvey
Leonard Cohen
Talking Heads
Portishead

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Felix

MBTI Type
INxJ
Have you heard much of the band "A Perfect Circle"? I think they'd fit quite snuggly in your list there :)

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Thanks for the suggestion, I checked them out and maybe I'll have to listen to them more. I must say I love Maynard's voice, and I wanted to marry James Iha in 1993.

Gloriana

Patron Saint Of Smileys
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
I'm kind of a dick about music too, it's only once in a blue moon something will come along that I dig. I tend to dig back through past music for stuff I missed rather than paying much attention to new stuff (I pay attention to new stuff once it's old though! :D)

You might like (if you haven't already checked 'em):

The Verve
Babybird
Badly Drawn Boy

The only newer stuff I've liked recently is MGMT and Cut Copy, but I'm not sure how well it would fall in line with the other stuff you listed. Maybe give it a shot though, do some tasty YouTube sampling :D

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I don't know what you might like, but since you're an INFJ, we might have similar tastes:

Lyriel
Assemblage 23
The Cruxshadows
Within Temptation
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
Duran Duran
Billy Joel
Styx
Kansas
Queen

What do you think?

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Porcupine Tree are similar to Radiohead apparently, and then there's always the Muse, but I doubt you'd like them. Florence and the Machines is a fairly new band you might enjoy, and there was also a really nice singer on TV... I'll find out who it was and edit it in.

Try Sputnik Music, and Last.fm. That should save you for a while.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
Thanks for all the suggestions! I just put Last.fm on my favorites and I'll play with it throughout the day. I'll check out the other suggestions too. Thanks again.

P.S. Athenian I love Duran Duran :)

SuperServal

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Discovering new music that you feel you could really love is one of the best things in the world! Almost like finding little bits of a soul mate.

Maybe you'd like My Morning Jacket. They are sort of a mix between southern rock, folk, soul, and the Beach Boys.

[YOUTUBE="5OMpaFvTOFk"]Wordless Chorus[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="U5Es1flO_2M"]Librarian[/YOUTUBE]

You may also like Super Furry Animals if you like slightly deranged pop.

[YOUTUBE="uvlOh9cKbxw"]Mountain People[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="nQjr5u8aivE"]Citizen's Band[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="BANdftxuqlM"]RunAway[/YOUTUBE]

Also: Bat For Lashes!

[YOUTUBE="EICkZWEzFGE"]Girl[/YOUTUBE]

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Queens of the Stone Age, maybe? Most all their music sounds the same but in a good way. Also check out some Beck CD's, I'd reccomend Guero.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
SuperServal - I going to check out those postings thanks!

Willfrey - I really like Beck. Guero was a good album, and as depressing as it was I liked Sea Change... But it must be listened to in small bursts, otherwise :emot-emo:

Thanks guys/girls.

Penda

MBTI Type
INFJ
My Bloody Valentine is another rad 90's band. They might fit your tastes too.

Lux

Kraken down on piracy
I liked My Morning Jacket’s Librarian. Super Furry animals’ Run away (the video was hilarious) The Bat for Lashes was really good. The video was kind of like if Portishead and Donnie Darko had a fucked up baby :). The video was fantastic.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
[YOUTUBE=m9QM9ud2V70]The Big Pink - Dominos[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE=ERulrmjfucc]Doves - There Goes the Fear[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE=xDT0OIIYLEY]The Jesus and Mary Chain - Don't Ever Change[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE=0cWggYivjh8]Hooverphonic - Mad About You[/YOUTUBE]