User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Anime. Why the hate?

Honestly, I don't know too much about anime, and I've only recently started to appreciate some anime. What I don't understand is, why do so many people cringe at the notion of it?

Do people not like the animation part of it? Or is it just some kind of fear of something foreign?

I wish it didn't have such a bad name, because anytime I may bring it up in conversation, people don't have pleasant reactions, which I think is a shame.

So, what are your thoughts on anime?
    "Vous au moins, vous ne risquez pas d'être un légume, puisque même un artichaut a du cœur."
    -Amelie Poulain

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

It's often incredibly over dramatic and hard to take seriously (because it's a cartoon -the kind of thing that children watch). There's also the issue with really badly dubbed anime, which is aimed at children with no promise of quality, they just want a quick buck and they don't think it matters if the voice actors sound like douchebags. I treat anime as a medium for entertainment, I know there are people that wont watch it simply because it's anime... but really, that's like saying you're not going to read the lord of the rings because written literature is inferior to the big screen. It's all just jokes, characters and plots (and drama and blah).
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by King-Of-Despair View Post
    It's often incredibly over dramatic and hard to take seriously (because it's a cartoon -the kind of thing that children watch). There's also the issue with really badly dubbed anime, which is aimed at children with no promise of quality, they just want a quick buck and they don't think it matters if the voice actors sound like douchebags. I treat anime as a medium for entertainment, I know there are people that wont watch it simply because it's anime... but really, that's like saying you're not going to read the lord of the rings because written literature is inferior to the big screen. It's all just jokes, characters and plots (and drama and blah).
    Hmm. I never understood the argument of it being hard to take seriously because it's animated, I guess it's just perspective. I think it's more flexible because one could potentially do anything with the animation that they imagine.

It's not limited to reality.

And I guess the other arguments you gave just depend on the show. I've seen some anime I can't stand, because it plays like a soap opera, and others that do have awful dubbing, but there are also some real gems I've discovered.
    "Vous au moins, vous ne risquez pas d'être un légume, puisque même un artichaut a du cœur."
    -Amelie Poulain

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    FIVE

I think Anime has been attached to a stereotype... it's like World Of Warcraft... people have an idea what it means to be interested in those things.

Personally, I hate Anime. I would rather read a first-person narrative about life than read anything SciFi, so I'm not much of a fantasy fan to begin with. The sound effects are garish to me and make a mockery of whatever the plot is. The characters (in my experience) are drawn with sharp over-dramatic features and funky colors that bother me, I find it very difficult to relate to them. In my experience, Anime fans tend to mimic the emotions in the movies and are overly fanatic about whichever series they follow. It's a huge turnoff to find people who are so obsessed with anything that they live in an alternate mental space to include it (I'm not a fan of Harry Potter either). I also think that they are overly violent which bothers me since there is a connection between cartoons and children. People see animated movies and assume that it is child friendly... not good.

All that aside, I can appreciate the talent of the artists but I would enjoy a large framed print of their fantasy world more than a movie... perhaps because it would be up for interpretation then.
    Last edited by chasingAJ; 08-12-2009 at 04:51 AM. Reason: I can't spell at 5am

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I don't know. To me, it's just another potentially interesting television show. Nothing turns me off about the format, and I don't get why other people feel that way. I particularly like:

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Serial Experiments Lain
    Death Note

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Comic books, Anime, World of Warcraft, Star Trek, Star Wars, Magic: The Gathering, Dungeons & Dragons.
    It's all the same to the close minded.

I've never played WoW, and I'm not into Star Trek, personally. But everything else on that list is an area of media that I very much enjoy witnessing and/or participating in. Labels provide stereotypes and detract from individual analysis of a person, thus it comes as quite a shock to people when they find out you're "nerdy."

Back on topic: I don't know why anime is frowned upon by some. It's probably fear of change, and their perspective is based entirely on assumptions. Rather than giving it a chance, most people would rather assume the masculine role of "men don't watch cartoons," and women don't possess testosterone, so since 80% of anime involves people beating the living hell out of each other, their portion of the fanbase is even smaller.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

I simply don't like it because it makes people talk silly in crappy Japanese and dress stupid. It's not any worse than emo kids or whatever, but I don't like those, either.

If you're going to be alternative, be cool at least Like skinheads, punks or real metalheads. K? :steam:

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I'm far from an anime fan. Most anime's are just too annoying to watch for me.

There are a few I really liked though.

Favorite anime, claymore. Very mature. No weird overly dramatic responses with eyes the size of whales etc. Has really intruiging plot and character development, and very well drawn. Blood+, Hellsing (the 13 part series), Elfen Lied.. They are runner ups that I found pretty decent. But the ones like Bleach and such which are apparantly the most succesful anime out there, I dislike, a lot. :P

Most people that say they don't like anime really have no idea what they are talking about though. There are as many anime's and genre's as there are movies and tv series. I doubt there are many people into every bit of anime out there. That would be virtually impossible. But when people see some overly dramatic and lame scenes from lets say Bleach. They naturally brand all anime similar. And thus the hate. My sister was like that until I made her watch Claymore and she loved it.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INfP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Most of the hate is usually due to ignorance or bandwagon jumping but that's the case with any sort of subjective matter really. Also most popular anime shows tend to have that overly cute or annoying characters/storylines which could turn people off.

I don't usually watch anime but I do enjoy the ones that give you a psychological mindfuck like Serial Experiments Lain or Paranoia Agent. Hayao Miyazaki movies are also really good.

MBTI
    INFP

I stand by my belief that anime is no better or worse than any other style of animation. Because that's exactly what it is: an art style.

My two problems are with:

ENGLISH DUBS: Most of the anime shows that get translated into English often churn out with very obvious signs that the translators cared more about appealing to the political set than maintaining the quality of the show. My uncle once did security work for one of these English dubbing studios, and he's told of several voice actors walking out barely able to breathe after hours of throwing their voice in every direction.

FAN BASE: Actually, I don't see this as much of a problem. In fact, it's classic entertainment come to life.

What else do you call:

- watching some fat nerd crap his pants trying to go Super Saiyan on you after hearing you insult the mighty Dragonball Z?

- watching some air-headed blond girl go running up to a group of bikers, throw her hand out in front of her, and yell out some anime spell named after some Japanese village you had no clue existed until that moment?

- some chick who goes to a Halloween party dressed as Kagome from Inu Yasha...then going into a rage when she discovers she's the only person on the premises who knows what Inu Yasha is, much less "Kagome's" part in it.

- watching any of the above play out, then thinking "Aw, crap! Why didn't I record that??!" just as the show's about over.