User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    Somehow it's offensive to see thousands of people raving about something you're indifferent to or dislike. It's a challenge to your values on both a personal and social level, and your only defense is to exaggerate your hatred. This is why anime and other popular things usually have a large group of detractors; people who don't enjoy these things feel threatened. As far as my own tastes, I do like (some) anime, but I'm not an "otaku" who puts everything Japanese on a pedestal. To me, anime is just another form of expression. Sometimes it's annoying and tasteless; other times it's brilliant.
    True. This is actually the reasoning behind many of my choices in the "Hating on people in entertainment" thread.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    Sometimes it's annoying and tasteless; other times it's brilliant.
    Yes. There's bound to be a series that appeals to everyone if they gave it a chance.

I don't generally like that anime is typically about high school or teenagers. That would be my only complaint. As for otaku, I don't care as long as they don't directly affect me. Besides, watching ninjas spray deodorant on stinky people at conventions is quite amusing.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Mostly, I simply do not like the style of animation. I'm not a huge animation fan, anyway, nor am I a fan of fantasy in any form. But there's just something about the way anime characters are drawn that is offputting to me. I just don't relate to it. I had a friend who was reaaaaaally into the Sailor Moon stuff for a while. I tried to understand it, but ultimately decided it just wasn't my thing. No harm, no foul. I don't have to understand the appeal of every form of entertainment in the world. There are people who enjoy The Hills. Doesn't mean I have to try and understand it.

But it's true, I'm not really a fan of stuff like WoW and other cult stuff. The obsessive fanbase can be annoying. I don't doubt that there are some good offerings within the anime genre, but I just don't feel a void in my life that needs to be filled by appreciating anime. Likewise, there are things that I enjoy that some anime fans may not see the point of or find appealing.

I like cartoons, but not anime. I don't like the style of illustration or the form of storytelling that usually goes along with it. The kind of storytelling reminds me a lot of fantasy and sci-fi genre which doesn't interest me. It's either that or the stories are kind of soap opera-ish, which I don't like either.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post

I like cartoons, but not anime. I don't like the style of illustration or the form of storytelling that usually goes along with it. The kind of storytelling reminds me a lot of fantasy and sci-fi genre which doesn't interest me. It's either that or the stories are kind of soap opera-ish, which I don't like either.
    "Develop interest in life as you see it...the world is so rich, simply throbbing with rich treasures, beautiful souls and interesting people. Forget yourself." -- H. Miller
    -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- --
    Johari the good..
    Nohari.. the bad, and the ugly

I'm a FiNe SiTe to see!

MBTI
    ENFJ

I think what scares a lot of people off are the fans. The raving and obsessiveness annoy people even when they like the material -- yes, I've had experience with this. :/ Other than that a lot of people have an idea of what it's supposed to look like and what it's supposed to be even though there's a lot of variety if you really look.

Then again I'm probably biased because I like all sorts of cartoons (from Neon Genesis Evangelion to Spongebob to Venture Bros)
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

FigerPuppet

The only anime I like is Ergo Proxy. The atmosphere in that anime is great.
    I can not stand hardcore "otakus" though. Their bullshit makes my blood boil, which makes me want to pound them to a pulp and feed them to cockroaches.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    The only anime I like is Ergo Proxy. The atmosphere in that anime is great.
    I can not stand hardcore "otakus" though. Their bullshit makes my blood boil, which makes me want to pound them to a pulp and feed them to cockroaches.
    I read a review touting Ergo Proxy was too intellectual for the average anime fan to enjoy. I don't buy that, but it has been grossly overlooked by many for some reason.

Why do "hardcore otakus" bother you so much? I find the fandom similar to any other in the nerd category. They seem to stick to themselves for the most part.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Every time I ask those people what you do at an anime convention, I get the same response..

"What DON'T you do at an anime convention??!!"

After I recieved this response the first few times, I started to think I was missing out on something pretty interesting. People in anime costumes having cracked-out orgys in dome shaped theaters that surround you and play anime 24/7. (Not normal anime, like weird rated x anime.)

Anime rollercoasters and anime hot air balloons.
    Swimming with underwater anime fish...
    The list goes on forever... Because like, apparantly anything is possible at an anime convention.

I was starting to think that if I went to one, I just wouldn't be able to get in.. They would just know somehow.. By the look in my eye or something like that, that I just am not into it. Anime nazis. They would carry me out, kicking and screaming, never to find out exactly what goes on in there.

Finally some normal guy told me exactly what went on...
    Nothing very exciting.

(or maybe that was just a cover..)

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    Every time I ask those people what you do at an anime convention, I get the same response..

"What DON'T you do at an anime convention??!!"

After I recieved this response the first few times, I started to think I was missing out on something pretty interesting. People in anime costumes having cracked-out orgys in dome shaped theaters that surround you and play anime 24/7. (Not normal anime, like weird rated x anime.)

Anime rollercoasters and anime hot air balloons.
    Swimming with underwater anime fish...
    The list goes on forever... Because like, apparantly anything is possible at an anime convention.

I was starting to think that if I went to one, I just wouldn't be able to get in.. They would just know somehow.. By the look in my eye or something like that, that I just am not into it. Anime nazis. They would carry me out, kicking and screaming, never to find out exactly what goes on in there.

Finally some normal guy told me exactly what went on...
    Nothing very exciting.

(or maybe that was just a cover..)
    lol The first time I went to A-Kon after I turned 18, my friend and I went to the hentai viewing room. It had a theater setup, and you had to show id to get in. We left after like 10 minutes, because it was full of creepy old guys and virgin dudes. Just a massive sausage fest.

When I was older, it was way more fun. Private parties with the voice actors, artists drawing on boobs, and booze. It just depends on what you look like, and who you're friends with. There's hierarchy in that world too. Either way, nerds at any type of convention will do alot of partying and hooking up. You just have to know where to look. Also, be 21+.

There might be some asshats that wonder why you're there if you don't watch anime. Those kind of "purists" are in every group of people. Most would think it's cool you're interested, and probably try to help you find something you might like yourself. Or direct you to the party. Just keep an open mind. Nerds tend to really let loose at these events.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Lots of people hate it because it has a large fanbase. Some people are really wacky about it, too, it's almost like a subculture or counterculture movement....

I only like anime if the animation is actually QUALITY. Which excludes quite a bit of the stuff... :C
    Wait, what did you say again?