User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

Stuff that gets dubbed over is just horrible to follow with all the terribly inconsistent character personalities, tired cliches, over dramatizations, confusing plots... Oh and its a cartoon. I sometimes watch Family Guy because it's a cartoon and funny, but anime to me more often than not is a confusing mess that just drags, and drags, and drags...
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I only ever watch anime english subbed. Never dubbed. By the way.

Dubbed and synchronisation is per definition annoying. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

Quote Originally Posted by chasingAJ View Post
    I think Anime has been attached to a stereotype... it's like World Of Warcraft... people have an idea what it means to be interested in those things.
    This. Anytime there is a cultish, proselytizing fan base surrounding a pop culture thing with narrow appeal, this happens.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP

I guess you've all just had poor experience with it. I can understand the thing about the crazy fans, that made me a bit nervous, too. I guess it can't be helped, so I'll just continue to enjoy anime in a sane way.

Oh well, life's too precious to care about what some people think of you.
    "Vous au moins, vous ne risquez pas d'être un légume, puisque même un artichaut a du cœur."
    -Amelie Poulain

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

The fanbase, granted any genre can have a crazy or annoying fanbase, Anime seems to have a notoriously obsessive fanbase. It's not even that it's the entire fanbase, but it's a large enough number to give anyone the idea that they are all like that.

It isn't unusual for people to drop anime all together just because they realise how odd the fanbase is.

MBTI
    INTJ

I love the opening theme songs from Lucky Star and Kao Dekai.
    Anybody know of more songs like those?

But the actual Lucky Star show seems really boring.
    I watched one episode.

I like good anime, but a lot of anime is silly.
    But then again most works in any art form are not very good.

MBTI
    INTP

Mostly, I simply do not like the style of animation. I'm not a huge animation fan, anyway, nor am I a fan of fantasy in any form. But there's just something about the way anime characters are drawn that is offputting to me. I just don't relate to it. I had a friend who was reaaaaaally into the Sailor Moon stuff for a while. I tried to understand it, but ultimately decided it just wasn't my thing. No harm, no foul. I don't have to understand the appeal of every form of entertainment in the world. There are people who enjoy The Hills. Doesn't mean I have to try and understand it.

But it's true, I'm not really a fan of stuff like WoW and other cult stuff. The obsessive fanbase can be annoying. I don't doubt that there are some good offerings within the anime genre, but I just don't feel a void in my life that needs to be filled by appreciating anime. Likewise, there are things that I enjoy that some anime fans may not see the point of or find appealing.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by TSDesigner View Post
    But then again most works in any art form are not very good.
    I completely agree.
    "Vous au moins, vous ne risquez pas d'être un légume, puisque même un artichaut a du cœur."
    -Amelie Poulain

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

Somehow it's offensive to see thousands of people raving about something you're indifferent to or dislike. It's a challenge to your values on both a personal and social level, and your only defense is to exaggerate your hatred. This is why anime and other popular things usually have a large group of detractors; people who don't enjoy these things feel threatened. As far as my own tastes, I do like (some) anime, but I'm not an "otaku" who puts everything Japanese on a pedestal. To me, anime is just another form of expression. Sometimes it's annoying and tasteless; other times it's brilliant.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nunki View Post
    Somehow it's offensive to see thousands of people raving about something you're indifferent to or dislike. It's a challenge to your values on both a personal and social level, and your only defense is to exaggerate your hatred. This is why anime and other popular things usually have a large group of detractors; people who don't enjoy these things feel threatened. As far as my own tastes, I do like (some) anime, but I'm not an "otaku" who puts everything Japanese on a pedestal. To me, anime is just another form of expression. Sometimes it's annoying and tasteless; other times it's brilliant.
    Very well said.
    Something Witty