User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 38

  1. #1
    cast shadows metaphours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Question Vampire Weekend?

    Any one else think they're kind of overrated? I mean don't get me wrong, they're a fantastic band, who make great music. But the overbearing hype is just kind of unnecessary. And it's not just Vampire Weekend, I feel that whenever this kind of hype is applied to anything, it sort of distorts the things actual message and things get lost in translation and it sort of ends up ruined. But maybe that's just me

  2. #2
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    And you're probably right. Although, when I like something, I could care less if it's underground or commercial. I like what I like. The only good thing about commercialism is that whatever it is I do like is readily available.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  3. #3
    cast shadows metaphours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    And you're probably right. Although, when I like something, I could care less if it's underground or commercial. I like what I like. The only good thing about commercialism is that whatever it is I do like is readily available.
    Hmm, I don't care if it's underground or commercial either, but it just seems that when something comes out that people like a lot, like a band or something, they wanna believe so bad that the band (or whatever it is) is actually as amazing as they think it is. Just look at MGMT. Talk about OVERRATED.

  4. #4
    triple nerd score poppy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    2,220

    Default

    MGMT is overrated and I LOVE THEM
    Haha.

    But I agree, when there's a huge hooplah over something I find it sort of distasteful, like "it's not that good, people".

    But in the end, ya like watcha like.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

  5. #5
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    I thought the Offspring was hella overrated. I like their music a lot, but I didn't think they were the sensation they blew up to be for a while. Hootie and the blowfish? srsly?

    It happens all the time. It's good for the bands, so they're not complaining. The people think they're listening to something great, so they're not complaining. If they get off their hype-boner after a while, they just move on to the next thing. So, since it doesn't really hurt too much, it happens a lot.

    Taking Angels and Airwaves for example, my favorite band. I think they're pretentious about the way they do things, and all.. but I could give a damn less. I love their music, and think it's the best thing since the wheel, and no one is going to convince me of anything less. And since it doesn't hurt anyone at all, it's going to stay like that.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  6. #6
    cast shadows metaphours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    MGMT is overrated and I LOVE THEM
    Haha.

    But I agree, when there's a huge hooplah over something I find it sort of distasteful, like "it's not that good, people".

    But in the end, ya like watcha like.
    Yeah, I remember when I heard "Electric Feel" for the first time I nearly had a seizure I was so excited. It really is a fantastic song. But then I got the album and I believe the next words that came out of my mouth were: "What the fuck is this?" I mean, frankly speaking "Weekend Wars" is just terrible. "Time to Pretend," "Kids," "Electric Feel," and "Of Moons, Birds and Monsters" are great, and I question MGMT, as to why they didn't make more songs like this. That's what they're good at! They shouldn't be toying around with experimental rock, cause it just ends up a spew of neo-psychedelic pop nonsense.

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I thought the Offspring was hella overrated. I like their music a lot, but I didn't think they were the sensation they blew up to be for a while. Hootie and the blowfish? srsly?
    Yeah, Offpsring = definitely overrated. There's only one song I can even think of that's decent, but I can't even remember what it's called

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    It happens all the time. It's good for the bands, so they're not complaining. The people think they're listening to something great, so they're not complaining. If they get off their hype-boner after a while, they just move on to the next thing. So, since it doesn't really hurt too much, it happens a lot.
    Yeah, I get what you mean. The bands don't really care cause it's only the cause of g00d times for them, I guess.

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Taking Angels and Airwaves for example, my favorite band. I think they're pretentious about the way they do things, and all.. but I could give a damn less. I love their music, and think it's the best thing since the wheel, and no one is going to convince me of anything less. And since it doesn't hurt anyone at all, it's going to stay like that.
    Ehh, all I'm gonna say is I'm not a big fan of Angels and Airwaves

  7. #7
    Emperor/Dictator kyuuei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    8
    Posts
    13,878

    Default

    ^ As I'm sure there's plenty of music you listen to that I'd sigh heavily about. But that's the beauty of it all, ne?
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

    Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

    In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

  8. #8
    cast shadows metaphours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ^ As I'm sure there's plenty of music you listen to that I'd sigh heavily about. But that's the beauty of it all, ne?
    Ehh, I actually have very diverse and eclectice taste in music. Trust me, it's hard to find a 15 year old these days who doesn't only listen to Lil Wayne and/or Linkin Park.

  9. #9
    my floof is luxury Wind Up Rex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp
    Posts
    4,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poppy View Post
    MGMT is overrated and I LOVE THEM
    Haha.
    +1

    Electric feel is aural sex.


    Metaphours, I think Vampire Weekend was definitely more hyped a year ago. I'll still blast Walcott or Oxford Comma from time to time. Also, the good people at thehoodinternet did a phenomenal mashup with A-Punk if youre looking for something different.

  10. #10
    cast shadows metaphours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    +1

    Electric feel is aural sex.
    LAWL PUN.

    Quote Originally Posted by Wind-up Rex View Post
    Metaphours, I think Vampire Weekend was definitely more hyped a year ago. I'll still blast Walcott or Oxford Comma from time to time. Also, the good people at thehoodinternet did a phenomenal mashup with A-Punk if youre looking for something different.
    Yeah, I know this thread is extremely late. But its not just Vampire Weekend I'm addressing. I'm addressing everything that's ever been over hyped, you know? The proverbial Cloverfield's of the world.

Similar Threads

  1. Werewolf or Vampire?
    By JivinJeffJones in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 10:38 AM
  2. Happy 4th of July Weekend!
    By CzeCze in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 11:50 AM
  3. Anyone seeing Cloverfield this weekend?
    By SolitaryPenguin in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 01-29-2008, 10:23 PM
  4. What should I do this weekend?
    By Wolf in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 04-28-2007, 02:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO