User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Default Anyone here snowboard?

I'm totally stoked. It's going to be my first time this December, we've already planned the trip out. I'm going to slowly buy the gear I need to go, and it'll be my first time seeing more snow than a few flurries on the ground. I can hardly wait, and it's only August.

So! Anyone here tried snowboarding? If so, how long? Any tips or advice? I've been browsing sales online of snowboards, and looking up 'how to buy' guides online that have been semi-useful.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

I tried it once. (yes, once) It was a blast, I need to go out this winter again!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I do.

I got a snowboard for my 15th birthday and it still fits. I only went about 3 or 4 times this past winter, but it was still fun. The closest ski resort is well over an hour away, and it's not that great.

But I don't really fir into the Snowboarder stereotype, bro.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I tried one time when I was in the Rockies. I didn't like it. My brain understood how to redistribute my weight to vary speed and direction, but my body couldn't catch on, so I was either going fullspeedwithoutcontrol or landing abruptly on body parts. I also feel like it would've been easy to break something (felt like I had a close call with my ankle) because I wasn't very good at the smooth transitioning between starting and stopping, and your feet are locked in place so you kind of have to be good at that.

(Note: I am reasonably athletic, and I really sucked. I didn't like it enough to work past the hard part of learning basic skills.)

ISTPs tend to be excellent at it.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Elaur View Post
    I tried it once. (yes, once) It was a blast, I need to go out this winter again!

+1

Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I should also add that if you get a part time job at a cycle and ski shop dealers will sometimes sell things to you for ridiculously cheap prices so that you will use their product and ideally sell more of it to customers because you can speak from experience of saying "this stuff is good in x conditions, because of this feature, and I like this thing about it..."

(Sometimes you fill out staff purchase order forms, sometimes they give you a secret website for pro deal discounts, and if you show up to the PK (product knowledge) meeting to learn their product's qualities, you get a pass code and can buy great things for better prices.)

Like, real cheap. It's a magical thing that makes me look at retail and go why would anyone spend that much money!

The shop doesn't have to carry the product, it just needs the brand. We don't actually sell snowboards, but I can still get them at pro deal pricing.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    enfp

i snowboard my butt off until I unknowlingly jumped off a cliff in Tahoe and broke my foot and had to have surgery. (note, when you see a "caution tape" no matter how skinny the tape looks, it means something big)

then 3 years ago, I tore my ACL in a softball game and had to get surgery. So the past 7 years, I only been boarding like 10 times or so, but before that I used to go at least 30 times a year for about 6 years.

my advice for first time equipment buy is:

1) Buy comfortable boots. Very very important. Make sure it is COMFORTABLE. If you get so so boots, the amt your feet will hurt will be unbearable... esp. after 2 hours or so of boarding.
    2) Spend some money on better gloves. You don't want your hands to get wet or else you will feel miserable.
    3) layer of thermal makes you a lot warmer than you think.

As for boards, its not as important if you are a beginner. You can get something cheap, and get a better board as you get better.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ Yeah, I'm just going for something pretty that won't break board-wise. I already have some thermal gear, albeit a bit unfashionable via the army, but it'll work, so I just need snow gear.

I was thinking of going to a shop and trying on some different types of boots to see what fits well or what-not, and then ordering them online for cheaper once I find a pair I like. So far online deals are the best ones.. I've been browsing craigslist though for someone that's decided to give up their stuff.

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

No, but I want to. You should pick me up on the way. You owe me after not taking me to Disneyworld.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

^ I just bought my board today.

It was 50% off, and I was tired of trying to make a decision. 152cm.