User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    IsTP

Got my boots, just need to find a half-decent used board and some bindings and then I'm ready to rock and roll.
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Willfrey View Post

Got my boots, just need to find a half-decent used board and some bindings and then I'm ready to rock and roll.
    Well that's a start!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    One tip. Take a full-day lesson (not sure you live, but if you're on the east coast, where are you going? I know most areas decently.), and get a helmet at least until you master the basics.

Anyway....it's a lot of fun. I rock at it, but I prefer skiing by a large amount, only learned it for out west on the days when you need a board to do anything (skis, even fat ones, aren't so hot when a 5ft storm comes through.).

As for a few general tips....take things at your own pace for learning, and never let someone push you onto terrain you aren't comfortable with. Learn to fall. You'll do it plenty at first, get someone to show you how to not get hurt and get yourself back up quickly. Other than that, have fun. Oh, and don't get discouraged if by the end of the first day, you still suck, it does usually take a couple days...
    You will learn alot quicker if you go with people that are much better than you are. By pushing you onto unfamiliar terrain you figure out how to snowboard real quick.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by JTG1984 View Post
    You will learn alot quicker if you go with people that are much better than you are. By pushing you onto unfamiliar terrain you figure out how to snowboard real quick.
    I'd agree. Let me rephrase that slightly....if you're skiing beginner trails, and your friend suggests that you'll be fine on diamond/expert runs, don't listen to him.

On another note, today was the first day of the season for me. Hunter's (NY State) opening day.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Pumpernickel
    MBTI
    ENTJ

I've been snowboarding for a few years, it's a whole lot of fun but I take it slow cause i'm terrified of breaking something

MBTI
    INTP

I've been snowboarding a couple times, and skiing a couple times too, and love it. Unfortunately I live in a flat, snow-free location, so it's kind of a special treat. I'm planning to go at the end of January.

For some reason "gravity sports" and me get along quite well. I'm a ww kayaker and I've done some surfing too, and would love to try hang gliding.

MBTI
    enfp

oh my gawd. i haven't gone in 3 years after my acl surgery

i can't wait to go next weeeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkk

MBTI
    esfp
    Enneagram
    8w9
    Socionics
    ILE

Oh I totally love it, I prefer it way more better than skiing. I've learnt it by myself in like 2 seasons. Now I'm pretty stable in slalom and I can do some really tiny jumps. Got my snowboard and boots last year on my 17th birthday. But as I am in Denmark now and they have no snow and no mountains I didn't take it with me. On February me and my hostfamily are going to Norway on skiing holiday.. AAAAH I CAN'T WAIT!!!

MBTI
    ENFP

I've never been but I'm determined to try it this year.
    ENFP Male: E-74% N-95% F-58% P-84% 3w2
    "I feel there are two people inside me - me and my intuition. If I go against her, she'll screw me every time, and if I follow her, we get along quite nicely." -Kim Basinger

brainheart

I used to go all the time. I started... uh... fourteen years ago. I had never skied or anything so I got pretty beat up at first, but I was going with all of these guys who were really good and the competitive part of me HAD to keep up. So I was doing back country, blacks with them from the very beginning. Maybe not the brightest, but I got pretty good fast. I had visions of turning pro, but then other things in life happened.

I just went the other day with my seven year old son. He is so naturally coordinated it's nuts. It was awesome doing different grabs off this little kicker and then he would follow and (most of the time) be able to do it. So fun to be a mom who can go tear it up with her kid.