User Tag List

First 1234 Last

ThatGirl

I snowboarded for two years, when I worked at the ski resort. Good times.

First time I went I ate shit so hard bashing my knee open. Moral of the story, have someone show you how to stop before standing up at the top of the mountain.

Simple as this, keep your knees bent and lift your heels, then put them down and lift your toes distributing your weight in accordance. Have fun, don't eat shit, and watch out for beginner skiers. Their little s thing they do sucks ass. Its always the S'.

ThatGirl

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ^ I just bought my board today.

It was 50% off, and I was tired of trying to make a decision. 152cm.
    How tall are you?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I ski, but my brother snowboards. The only thing more fun than barreling down an icy mountain with nothing more than a thin piece of fiberglass encased wood strapped to you, is to do it with one on each foot!

You're going to have a blast.

MBTI
    INtP

So! Anyone here tried snowboarding? If so, how long? Any tips or advice? I've been browsing sales online of snowboards, and looking up 'how to buy' guides online that have been semi-useful.
    Good for you - I bet you'll have a blast! I skiied a lot when I was in high school (ski-spoiled Rocky-Mtn kid who lived an hour from the lift - nowadays it'd be a 2-day drive ), but I never tried snowboarding. Always wanted to, but it was just starting to get popular, and wasn't even allowed everywhere in those days (yeah, I'm old ), so I stuck to skiing. One of these days I'll go to Colorado and give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    watch out for beginner skiers. Their little s thing they do sucks ass. Its always the S'.
    Especially watch out for the beginning 6-year old skiiers. Those little buggers have no fear, and are close enough to the ground that falling doesn't hurt much. They also move surprisingly fast .
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    nnnn

Yeah, once - I'm probably not particularly gifted, but I fell A LOT. Please try to fall backwards (seriously, it hurts like hell when you smack into the snow and it smashes the air out of your lungs). Don't get discouraged when you can't stand up on your board immediately and don't overthink it. I was black, blue and completely stiff after that time, all I was capable of was rolling into bed and my neck turned out to be whiplashed.

But I'd do it again. It feels pretty cool when you make it down the mountain.

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

I prefer skiing because moguls aren't very kind to snowboarders.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

As it's your first time I'd say hire what you need.

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm totally stoked. It's going to be my first time this December, we've already planned the trip out. I'm going to slowly buy the gear I need to go, and it'll be my first time seeing more snow than a few flurries on the ground. I can hardly wait, and it's only August.

So! Anyone here tried snowboarding? If so, how long? Any tips or advice? I've been browsing sales online of snowboards, and looking up 'how to buy' guides online that have been semi-useful.
    One tip. Take a full-day lesson (not sure you live, but if you're on the east coast, where are you going? I know most areas decently.), and get a helmet at least until you master the basics.

Anyway....it's a lot of fun. I rock at it, but I prefer skiing by a large amount, only learned it for out west on the days when you need a board to do anything (skis, even fat ones, aren't so hot when a 5ft storm comes through.).

As for a few general tips....take things at your own pace for learning, and never let someone push you onto terrain you aren't comfortable with. Learn to fall. You'll do it plenty at first, get someone to show you how to not get hurt and get yourself back up quickly. Other than that, have fun. Oh, and don't get discouraged if by the end of the first day, you still suck, it does usually take a couple days...
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I've only ever gone skiing and I suck at it big time. I've always wanted to try snow boarding though. It looks a lot more fun than skiing.
    ENFP 4w5

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I snowboarded for two years, when I worked at the ski resort. Good times.

First time I went I ate shit so hard bashing my knee open. Moral of the story, have someone show you how to stop before standing up at the top of the mountain.

Simple as this, keep your knees bent and lift your heels, then put them down and lift your toes distributing your weight in accordance. Have fun, don't eat shit, and watch out for beginner skiers. Their little s thing they do sucks ass. Its always the S'.
    Reading this, I equated it to the time I tried ice skating.. and disliked it more than rollerskating only because people alway stop by tapping their skate on the ice, taking little chunks out of the ice, and I'd always trip over those little holes.

How tall are you?
    I'm 5'3". It comes to about my nose when I measured 152cm on the tape measure.

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    I ski, but my brother snowboards. The only thing more fun than barreling down an icy mountain with nothing more than a thin piece of fiberglass encased wood strapped to you, is to do it with one on each foot!

You're going to have a blast.
    Why thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    One tip. Take a full-day lesson (not sure you live, but if you're on the east coast, where are you going? I know most areas decently.), and get a helmet at least until you master the basics.

Anyway....it's a lot of fun. I rock at it, but I prefer skiing by a large amount, only learned it for out west on the days when you need a board to do anything (skis, even fat ones, aren't so hot when a 5ft storm comes through.).

As for a few general tips....take things at your own pace for learning, and never let someone push you onto terrain you aren't comfortable with. Learn to fall. You'll do it plenty at first, get someone to show you how to not get hurt and get yourself back up quickly. Other than that, have fun. Oh, and don't get discouraged if by the end of the first day, you still suck, it does usually take a couple days...
    Yeah, I've already gotten used to the fact that I'll be falling a lot. I'm no talent at anything I try, but I'm hard headed so I'll probably stick with it till I get it.

I have a couple reason for buying my gear instead of renting it, too, Trinity. Although it was a close call between the two.

Currently, I've bought my boots, size 8. Aren't they adorable?! !

I'm having trouble buying bindings.. I mean, not really, since I know the sort of bindings I need (Burton EST's to go with my board.. they, too, are about 50% off depending on where I shop), but things like flex ratings, and all that jazz, are driving me up a wall.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge