• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Getting into digital photography

Wyst

lurking....
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I have often contemplated buying a digital SLR. Honestly, I don't even know how much I should or should not spend.

I think I'd probably spend about $500-700 but I'm totally clueless on what brands, options, specs are the best.

Photographers, any ideas for a newbie?
What cameras/lenses to do you have? Any regrets? Favorites?

Edit: This would be merely for fun - not for this to become a money making thing.

kiddykat

movin melodies
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4, 7
I have a Nikon, but am thinking about getting Canon, maybe in the future when I have some dinero.

I would recommend researching on getting the body separate from the lens, depending on your subject of interest (ex- if you're into macro, landscape, portrait...)

One lens that I do highly enjoy is one that works both as a regular lens, macro, and has telefoto capabilities.. Tamron (sorta like the generics of lenses) does a great job, and the colors come out pretty nice. The lens comes in handy, especially if you want to avoid dust particles from building up into the body of the camera when switching out various lenses. Works great for spontaneous shots.

Also, a really nice flash bulb helps, too (along with a diffuser). Have fun. :D

P.S.- Get at least a U.V. filter for the lens to prevent scratching.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Get canon 400d with kit lens. If you like portraits then allso get 50mm f/1.8 lens(really cheap but amazing image quality fot he price).

If you want to use flash and get better quality than from point and shoot camera, you need external flash.

Cameras and lenses i have had: canon 400d, 40d and 1d mkI, canons 28mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.8, 50mm f/1.2, 18-55 non is(kit lens of 400d), 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS and sigma 10-20mm f/4.0-5.6.

And currently own: canon 1d mkIII with 24-105mm f/4 and 50mm f/1.4, canon 300(film camera) and hasselblad 500 c/m with 80mm f/2.8 lens.

My favourites are the ones i currently own, exept i like 50mm 1.2 more than 50mm 1.4, but had to sell the 1.2 version because financial issues.