• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Preseason Football begins in ten days!

Jaguar

Or maybe YOU just need a better football team!

steelers-six-pack.jpg

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Fred Taylor is great...when he's actually suited up. That's always been a problem with him.

I don't know how you can say that this team is better than the 18-1 team. Until you see how Brady performs in a game, you can't know if he'll be as good as he used to be.

By the way, the preseason started this past Sunday (8/9, Titans vs Bills).

The team may not win more games (or in the 2007 case just the super bowl) but this team has far more depth than the 07 squad did while still maintaining quality players as starters. I could go into far more detail as to why this team is better than the 07 squad if you like. As for Brady, he will be fine, all reports point to him being the exact same as he used to be from all that I have been following. Remember he was never very mobile at all, his game has always been mentally dissecting defenses and making accurate throws so that wont change with a bad knee which has bee fully recovered for a while now. Let me give you some examples here, in 2008 Rivers suffered a torn acl injury and the next season he proceeded to post 4009 yards and 34 TDs, in 2005 Carson Palmer had his entire knee replaced due to torn ligaments caused by the Steelers' DE Kimo Von Oelhoffen and he proceeded to post 4035 yards and 28 TDs the season after his injury. The difference between Brady and this other QBs is that both Palmer and Rivers had about 6 months to recover from their injuries while Brady has had a full year to recover from it and his injury was not as bad as Palmer's was. Also take into account that we don't have to depend on Brady to win, one thing a lot of people don't realize because we are considered a "pass happy team" is that last year we had the 6th best rushing game right behind the Vikings and that was with Maroney on Injury reserve after week 6th (as I recall). Now we have both Maroney back and Fred Taylor to carry the load so our running game is improved now and he can depend on it if at all necessary as well as use those safety blankets known as Wes Welker and Randy Moss. 85% of Tom Brady is still better than 90% of the QBs in the entire NFL in my opinion so I am not one bit worried about how he will perform. Again like I said from all the reports the only difference from Tom Brady now and the Tom Brady in 07 is that he says that his arm feels stronger since he has not had to put it through the stress of playing the 2008 season.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
The team may not win more games (or in the 2007 case just the super bowl)...
So you judge teams on some metric other than their record, and without them having played a single game. Got it.

I don't question Brady's physical condition. I question his (or anyone's) ability to play at an elite level when they haven't been in a live game in 12 months. All he has to do is have one bad game for the 2009 team to fail to measure up to the 2007 team, just one.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
So you judge teams on some metric other than their record, and without them having played a single game. Got it.

I don't question Brady's physical condition. I question his (or anyone's) ability to play at an elite level when they haven't been in a live game in 12 months. All he has to do is have one bad game for the 2009 team to fail to measure up to the 2007 team, just one.

I measure a team by their success, for all that they accomplished on 07, they didn't win the Lombardy trophy and thus they were as successful as the 0-16 Lions of last year. The Lombardy trophy is all that matters my friend and they failed to accomplish the one and only thing that every single player and coach prepare for an entire season. My "metric" is potential, I believe this team has all the pieces necessary to go 19-0 but I am not going over hype them to that extent, my more reasonable prediction is 13-3 with a Super Bowl win. I don't see into the future but everyone has an idea of what every team is capable of.

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
I measure a team by their success, for all that they accomplished on 07, they didn't win the Lombardy trophy and thus they were as successful as the 0-16 Lions of last year.
Well, there's no sense in debating with someone so rigid. Good luck with that.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Well, there's no sense in debating with someone so rigid. Good luck with that.

Rigid? I am merely giving you my opinion, expectations and providing certain numerical data to represent my statements and predictions. How am I rigid? Do you want me to state the flaws on my favorite team? I can do that as well, because I don't think they are perfect and as I stated I don't think they are going to go undefeated in 09. I would think that is more than a reasonable of an opinion from anyone.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Is smoking pot legal in your state?
Just checking.

Why are you interested in some? I guess to some of us winning the Lombardy Trophy is more important than others, that is how I measure success. Do you remember who had the best record in 1988? 2001? 1971? I am sure you would be able to name me a few but I bet that you would more easily remember those that actually won the Super Bowl because that is the thing that actually matters the most. I bet Marino would trade any of his records for a super bowl ring but than again I am sure he must be pot head since the regular season is that truelly matters right?:rolli:

Jaguar

Why are you interested in some? I guess to some of us winning the Lombardy Trophy is more important than others, that is how I measure success.

I'd never ask you over to watch football.
You'd be analyzing the numerical data on the beer bottle to determine its success.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
I'd never ask you over to watch football.
You'd be analyzing the numerical data on the beer bottle to determine its success.
haha, trust me I am far more laid back than you might think. I enjoy nothing more than to sit back watch a good football game and drink some beers with my friends.:D

Lateralus

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
3w4
Rigid? I am merely giving you my opinion, expectations and providing certain numerical data to represent my statements and predictions. How am I rigid? Do you want me to state the flaws on my favorite team? I can do that as well, because I don't think they are perfect and as I stated I don't think they are going to go undefeated in 09. I would think that is more than a reasonable of an opinion from anyone.
Numerical data? You haven't provided any. You're basing your opinions on highly subjective judgments (feelings). You haven't even seen the 2009 team play yet.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
Numerical data? You haven't provided any. You're basing your opinions on highly subjective judgments (feelings). You haven't even seen the 2009 team play yet.

I was told that the Patriots would secondary had issues yet proved that notion wrong by bring up the fact that they were ranked 11th over all in pass defense in 2008 (with an injure depleted secondary no less) to refute that statement (NFL Stats: by Team Category). I also mentioned that we do not have to rely on Brady to carry the load of the team because we were ranked 6th over all in rushing last season without our starting RB Laurence Maroney (NFL Stats: by Team Category). I compared Brady's situation to that of Carson Palmer and that of Philip Rivers because 1) they suffered similar injuries and 2) they have similar styles of play and provided their statistical performance for the year fallowing their recovery: 4009 yards and 34 TDs for Rivers (Philip Rivers Profile - San Diego Chargers - ESPN) and 4035 yards and 28 TDs for Palmer (Carson Palmer Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com). Again I provided certain statistical data to support my statements, perhaps you didn't read my posts properly or may be I should have added the links to my posts. As for me making claims as to how the Patriots are going to perform on 09 well I am merely stating what the original poster wanted:

Is everyone prepared? This is going to be a hell of an NFL season. Predictions? Fears? Michael Vick jokes? Let's hear it.

Am I wrong in making my claims? He did ask for predictions and that is all that I am stating.

The Third Rider

MBTI Type
ENFj
^ That was all on the side of a beer bottle?

Man I wish I had some beer!:D Congrats to your Steelers, I always enjoy watching them play, Dick Lebeau is a genius and I love what he does on defense, i hope we get another shot at you guys in the playoffs this year.