User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Exclamation Wrasslin' - An NF Social Commentary on Muscley "Man Soap Opera" Peoplez

If you're from NC, the genesis of the sport, then you've probably been exposed to such a spectacle at some point.

If you aren't from here, you've been exposed to it anyway.

Moving along!

My oldest best friend, an ISTJ that we met when playing in the mud at the end of our driveway, used to invite us over to her house just to hang out and eat junk and jump on the trampoline. We did this for 4,005 years, and then after that, it was a brief but tragic experiment of me and her jumping on the trampoline at midnight in our pjs without any bras on. One big bounce each and we were rolling around on the trampoline praying for the death that would not come.

But I digress!

This friend - her dad loved to watch wrestling. So when us whippersnappers were convened in the living room, sitting on the floor eating his butt-kicking-awesome single-dad tuna noodle casserole, we'd watch wrasslin' with him. Back then, it was kinda rough around the edges. My dad said he used to take clients from the disabled/handicapped halfway house to watch local matches in Greensboro in the 1970s and that it was like a parking lot fight, only with fatter guys, folding chairs and blue-haired old ladies screaming murderously in the audience.

In our day, it was Hulk Hogan, Andre the Giant, Junkyard Dog, Roddy Piper, et al. plus a new influx of Sting, the Rock n Roll Express, etc.

Many many years pass. I got a driver's license, a somewhat hot thing going on with my Duran Duran poster, a truly consuming fascination with "21 Jump Street", and a need to go out with my girlfriends in the biggest earrings then known to mankind.

Flashforward to 2009...

Two things of note occur:

1. I'm amidst a conversation with many guy friends, longtime wrasslin' fans. I laugh at their silly talk! I laugh at their silly "matches"! I imagine our Halla tossing people around a ring in a very muscley and delightful fashion because it pleases me! At this point, I have not watched wrasslin' since I was a wee mite!

2. I wind up awake at all hours of the night because I feel sick (or my Monkey does , even though I make her a dinner of tasty rice and brush her fur properly...) and accidentally bore witness to a bunch of giant men (and ladies!) tossing each other around.

I cannot. Stop. Watching it now.

Why?

Because that world is SO ALIEN to me. It's like S-Land Sweating Moose Candy Spandex! That last sentence doesn't have to make sense! It ALL tastes like purple!

Womens' soap opera:
    "That's not your baby!"
    Male Wrasslin' soap opera: "ZOMGFIFTYFOOTTVSCREENZ, BABY!"

Womens' soap opera:
    "I have amnesia!"
    Male Wrasslin' soap opera: "I'm going to smoosh you into a turnbuckle until you have amnesia!"

Womens' soap opera: "Let's make love!"
    Male Wrasslin' soap opera: "Ok, but really loud and on top of my enemies which are all those sneering way less awesome guys ever there in the shiny Speedos!!"

I haven't been this entertained in ages. *eats cookies* I mean, all these people are giants and they're smashing things and the laydeez could crush you with their thighs.

My brain is FASCINATED by this.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

It brings me back to the same 80s memories that you have - Rowdy Roddy, Hulk ripping his T shirts, tag team, ahhh... I loved Mickey Rourke in that movie just now. So perfect, he was. I don't watch it anymore but it makes me remember my acid washed jean jacket fondly.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I used to be obsessed. It got old after a while.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Of course it gets old! It's nothing but body-slamming waxed-up folks crushing each other in artful manners! You have to break it up with other things (like vicious crossword puzzle fights and inadvisable dance contests to Milli Vanilli!)

I simply can't stop staring at it right now. It's the zany opposite of Pink World, like a flipped polarity, and since I find that sort of thing engrossing, and since I know these people have put a lot of work into crushing each other, I'm staring and staring like a voyeuristic scientist (they're all voyeurs, what am I saying?). Choreographed anarchy, if you will.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I tried watching it again and saw some familiar faces, but I can't get into anymore, I think when Eddie Guerrero and Chris Benoit both died... in horrible horrible ways in real life, that it put me off. I used to buy so much wrestling merchandise, Shirts, toys, books, DVDs, Videos. Dear God I loved the stuff.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh, Pink. If you have not already seen it, YOU MUST see "I'm From Hollywood" and I mean IMMEDIATELY.

I'm from Hollywood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is a clip

[youtube="1bAQg-zWmsI"]I'm From Hollywood[/youtube]
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

And one that actually has some wrasslin' in it.

[youtube="r7SZKg3IBYQ"]more[/youtube]
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

heart on fire

My parent's marital closeness was deeply augmented by a mutual interest in Wresting. I kid not. He used to call her on the phone at his lunch hour and they would talk about it.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Wrestling is much better wrapped up in childhood nostalgia, than in reality. I remember wrestling bubblegum and card packs. When Undertaker first came on the scene, I thought he was HUGE and about the coolest thing I had ever seen, I remember when all the lights use to go out and you knew Undertaker was about to arrive, so dramatic! It loses it's effect when you know it's been done for about the millionth time since.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    INFP

An older generation had the assassination of JFK as one of their formative childhood experiences. I had the Macho Man Randy Savage's betrayal of Hulk Hogan. All the guys at my school were in shock the next day. Most of the girls were both unconvincingly and ostentatiously indifferent.