• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Worst band names?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Also the over-dramatic emo ones....
"As I Lay Dying" is one I've heard that is particularly bad. I can't only imagine how awfully emo their music is, haha.

As I Lay Dying are actually a moderately heavy metalcore band. Not that great, but not really anything like Taking Back Sunday, either. Every Time I Die is another similar band/band name.

Really long band names...
"I Love You But I've Chosen Darkness" or
"The Pains of Being Pure at Heart" which would make better song titles.

They are long, especially I Love You, But I've Chosen Darkness (no sentences, especially with clauses!). Those are two pretty good bands, though. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's debut album is excellent.

"Garbage" is a really stupid name. It seems like they were trying too hard to be self-effacing or something, but just come off as lame.

That one doesn't bother me too much. It's just really plain. Same as Blur. Great band, blah name.

Any band name you are not sure how to say outloud, or spell if you heard it:
"!!!" (pronounced "Chk Chk Chk")
"PNAU" (I'm guessing you say it as "Now")
"Xiu Xiu" (pronounced "Shoe Shoe")

I've seen PNAU listed as pin-yow.

matmos

MBTI Type
NICE
Back in Glasgow, years ago, there was a band called The Child Molesters - in order to get gigs they called themselves The Pretty Flowers.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Back in Glasgow, years ago, there was a band called The Child Molesters - in order to get gigs they called themselves The Pretty Flowers.

My friends' band has been called Mary Magdalene, The Racists, and The Crisco Brothers at various points. Oh, and the singer was considered The Holocaust Deniers.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think the really dramatic, dark, emo/goth band names are a little gay. The Used, The Forgotten, Cut-my-wrists-and-sulk-in-apathy, it's all a bunch of hog wash, I tell ya!

I dislike a lot of the Rap/Dance/Hip-Hop artist names.

All the 'Ladies' and the 'Lils' and the abbreviations.

By the way, Lady Gaga makes me gag; the name, the person, and the music. It's HORRIBLE

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
This is my new favorite thread! Disclaimer: Not necessarily current/relevant bands.

t.A.T.u., or whichever letters are capitalized.
I hate the name Coldplay, for some reason.
Pretty Poison
Another vote for Nickelback, Staind, and Death Cab for Cutie
Did anyone mention Linkin Park? Ugh.
Hinder (what are they hindering, exactly? Good music?)
Pretentious indie names like City and Colour, Iron and Wine, Swell Season, A Fine Frenzy

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think some bands try wayy to hard to have that artistic and unique ring to their names, and it's kind of a laugh.

Tallulah, I agree with you completely. I've never ever liked Coldplay, or the name.

U2 is a terrible band name, imo. And I personally don't care for the band itself.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
They are long, especially I Love You, But I've Chosen Darkness (no sentences, especially with clauses!). Those are two pretty good bands, though. The Pains of Being Pure at Heart's debut album is excellent.

Yes, I like them both, I just think their names are a bit silly.

I can't believe Smashing Pumpkins hasn't been mentioned. I always thought they had a terrible name.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
As I Lay Dying are actually a moderately heavy metalcore band. Not that great, but not really anything like Taking Back Sunday, either. Every Time I Die is another similar band/band name.

That one doesn't bother me too much. It's just really plain. Same as Blur. Great band, blah name.

I've seen PNAU listed as pin-yow.

OH YEAH I SAW EVERY TIME I LAY DYING LAST MONTH MAAAAAN IT WAS SOOOOO METAL

(Read: not really. both of those bands fucking blow.)

I can't believe Smashing Pumpkins hasn't been mentioned. I always thought they had a terrible name.

You may already know this and it may be the very reason you think it's a terrible name in the first place, but in case you didn't know, it's British slang for "nice tits."

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Under the Influence of Giants

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

I like Smashing Pumpkins. It's at least evocative of something.

Eric B

ⒺⓉⒷ
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Surprised no one thought of, when Prince called himself that stupid symbol, and then everyone had to use a multi-word statement ("Artist formerly known...") to refer to him.
I thought he was just doing that to be silly, but more recently heard that it was to get at the Warner record label, whom he was trying to break freee from.

Biaxident

Charting a course
MBTI Type
INFP
The Ass Baboons of Venus

Ben Wa and the Blue Balls

Cookie Mould and the Smegmettes

The Fierce Nipples

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I like Smashing Pumpkins too. One of the only -ing names I like.

I could do without those names that sound like "pick one from column A, column B, and column C" like Stone Temple Pilots. We have this Beavis & Butthead book that has a page "Band Name Generator" that works that way.

Beavis and Butt-Head's Band Name Generator

Oom

Your time is gonna come.
MBTI Type
IsfP
Enneagram
5w4
Spine Shank, Supertramp, Thrice, Three Dog Night, and... The Doors. It's a bland name. Hello, we are the doors. woohoo....

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Spine Shank, Supertramp, Thrice, Three Dog Night, and... The Doors. It's a bland name. Hello, we are the doors. woohoo....

Bro,

Before you go criticizing the Doors, do you even know what is means?

They were previously the Doors of Perception.

""If the doors of perception were cleansed every thing would appear to man as it is, infinite. For man has closed himself up, till he sees all things through narrow chinks of his cavern."

Named after Aldous Huxley's book 'The Doors of Perception & Heaven and Hell' based off of William Blake's 'The Marriage of Heaven and Hell' ( I believe Synarch posted a thread about the Marriage of Heaven and Hell.

"There is the seen, and the unseen, and what lies in between are the Doors."

It's probably one of the most stellar topic of consciousness, in my opinion. Transforming the message through a band is brilliant.

People don't appreciate the Doors as much as they should. They don't see through the Doors.

Now don't you go criticizing stuff when you don't know. Jim Morrison is the man. He's got it.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Surprised no one thought of, when Prince called himself that stupid symbol, and then everyone had to use a multi-word statement ("Artist formerly known...") to refer to him.
I thought he was just doing that to be silly, but more recently heard that it was to get at the Warner record label, whom he was trying to break freee from.

Yes, he wasn't allowed to create any music under his own name until he fulfilled his contractual obligations to Warner. They literally owned his name and all marketing rights.

They took their (stupid) name from The Doors of Perception by Alduos Huxley.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Yes, he wasn't allowed to create any music under his own name until he fulfilled his contractual obligations to Warner. They literally owned his name and all marketing rights.

They took their (stupid) name from The Doors of Perception by Alduos Huxley.

THANK YOU