• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

KID A: The Metaphours Analysis

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
lol My Bloody Valentine. Talk about overrated!

Pitchfork isn't inherently pretentious; they just have a lot of really pretentious people who write for them. (I gotta say I'm pretty glad Brent DiCrescenzo is gone, what a fuckup that guy was.)

I thought he did the excellent review of Suede's Sci-Fi Lullabies? I could be wrong on that one. Either way, I could out-write the majority of reviewers on that site. The consistent overrating of anything that is A) "underground" hip-hop (i.e., not listened to by black people who are not in college); B) bleepy synth-pop from Brooklyn/Montreal/Sweden/Australia; or C) 2000s Radiohead gets annoying.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

I can name eight off the top of my head.

Nirvana - Nevermind
U2 - Achtung Baby
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Metallica - Metallica
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik

That was a particularly good year for music, obviously. I didn't even list the albums from Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Michael Jackson, and Guns N' Roses that year. Loveless is cool and challenging, but there are better shoegazer bands (like Ride and Slowdive).

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I can name eight off the top of my head.

Nirvana - Nevermind
U2 - Achtung Baby
Primal Scream - Screamadelica
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
Metallica - Metallica
A Tribe Called Quest - Low End Theory
Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik
...And your calling Loveless overrated?
+ Metallica is the biggest sell out album in the history of music

That was a particularly good year for music, obviously. I didn't even list the albums from Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Alice in Chains, Michael Jackson, and Guns N' Roses that year. Loveless is cool and challenging, but there are better shoegazer bands (like Ride and Slowdive).
Slowdive is great :D

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ok, fact of life from a semi-professional musician, if you use the term "sell out" you don't know a god damn thing about the music industry.

The sheer amount of time and perseverance it takes to actually make a living playing music precludes any possibility of devoting enough time to building a traditional career, so stop villifying musicians for wanting to be able to fucking eat.

Metallica had paid their dues on the club circuit as an underground speed metal band for upwards of a decade by the time their self-titled album came out. Give them a break; they had fucking lives and families and bills. (Or were they supposed to go to college at night while traipsing around the country in a cheap van making barely enough money to break even?)

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
...And your calling Loveless overrated?
+ Metallica is the biggest sell out album in the history of music

First of all, it's arguably Metallica's best album, along with Master of Puppets. Secondly, anyone who criticizes a band for being "sellouts" is just being silly. That's a great record, and it's awesome that it has sold 80 billion copies (give or take).

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
First of all, it's arguably Metallica's best album, along with Master of Puppets. Secondly, anyone who criticizes a band for being "sellouts" is just being silly. That's a great record, and it's awesome that it has sold 80 billion copies (give or take).

Thank you. THANK YOU. The Black Album is terrific. I'm so fucking sicking of hearing people dismiss music based on its fanbase numbers. "Way more people liked them on their later albums, so the later albums most therefore be...worse"? Really?

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Thank you. THANK YOU. The Black Album is terrific. I'm so fucking sicking of hearing people dismiss music based on its fanbase numbers. "Way more people liked them on their later albums, so the later albums most therefore be...worse"? Really?

It's really fun to listen to. "Nothing Else Matters" is mushy elevator music, but most of the rest of that album is awesome. Bob Rock is kinda cheesy, but he made them sound great on the whole thing. Remember how AWFUL . . .And Justice for All sounded? Metallica put out more good music in the '90s than most people give them credit for (kinda like Bowie's '80s output).

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
I like Radiohead a lot, and am a fan of U2. Nirvana definitely deserve to be up there. But my favourite album of the 90s is Counting Crows - Recovering the Satellites. Just always liked it.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I like Radiohead a lot, and am a fan of U2. Nirvana definitely deserve to be up there. But my favourite album of the 90s is Counting Crows - Recovering the Satellites. Just always liked it.

Counting Crows were solid in the '90s, and their most recent album is pretty good, too. In that same genre, I always thought The Wallflowers were underrated.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's really fun to listen to. "Nothing Else Matters" is mushy elevator music, but most of the rest of that album is awesome. Bob Rock is kinda cheesy, but he made them sound great on the whole thing. Remember how AWFUL . . .And Justice for All sounded? Metallica put out more good music in the '90s than most people give them credit for (kinda like Bowie's '80s output).

Yeah I'm talking more about balls-out groove metal tracks like "Sad But True"; that one's a favorite. And Justice doesn't sound THAT bad...if you don't think metal bands need bass players, that is.

One thing I did like that Pitchfork said about St. Anger, given that Bob Rock played bass on it/produced it, was that: "Bob Rock's bass neither bobs nor rocks."

teehee.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Yeah I'm talking more about balls-out groove metal tracks like "Sad But True"; that one's a favorite. And Justice doesn't sound THAT bad...if you don't think metal bands need bass players, that is.

One thing I did like that Pitchfork said about St. Anger, given that Bob Rock played bass on it/produced it, was that: "Bob Rock's bass neither bobs nor rocks."

teehee.

I happen to believe that a band is only as good as its rhythm section.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

Well I know that Load, ReLoad and St. Anger were all bad. The Black Album was decent. But Master and Justice are awesome. Anyone who says Justice sucks is just being thick.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Death Magnetic and Reload aren't bad. Metallica is better than . . . And Justice for All.

Metallica is definitely catchier than ...Justice. It takes a few listens but when you really listen to it, Justice has its moments. ...Justice is more like progressive metal rather than the thrash metal of Master and Ride the Lightning that makes Metallica a household name.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Ok, fact of life from a semi-professional musician, if you use the term "sell out" you don't know a god damn thing about the music industry.
Don't bitch at me as if I know nothing about the music industry. I know no matter what, even if you sell a million copies of your album and go platinum in 9204802384392 countries, you're still not making that much money. So whether or not they felt the need to commercialize their products, you can tell Metallica, while being a fantastic band (and I mean that), behind the music they're a bunch of money hungry guys. Just look at the whole Napster controversy, that's more than proof.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Don't bitch at me as if I know nothing about the music industry. I know no matter what, even if you sell a million copies of your album and go platinum in 9204802384392 countries, you're still not making that much money. So whether or not they felt the need to commercialize their products, you can tell Metallica, while being a fantastic band (and I mean that), behind the music they're a bunch of money hungry guys. Just look at the whole Napster controversy, that's more than proof.

It's a shame I agree with you on so many bands or I would have more motivation to continue arguing.

The Moon and Antarctica is my favorite album of all time, so...I'll let you go. :)

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
It's a shame I agree with you on so many bands or I would have more motivation to continue arguing.

The Moon and Antarctica is my favorite album of all time, so...I'll let you go. :)

I LOVE YOU. The Moon & Antarctica is definitely in my top 10 albums. But I fear that Modest Mouse may not be able to live up to this album. There new EP just came out today as a matter of fact, and I'm anxious to get my hands on it (or download it :D)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nah, they won't ever match that record.

The newer stuff is pretty cool and the whole Marr thing is nice, but Isaac Brock is too happy now to write anything that powerful again.