• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

KID A: The Metaphours Analysis

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
as i've stated before, i love to write and i felt like writing this piece for a long time. kid a by radiohead is my favorite album ever and i've always felt like writing a review piece on it. well today i finally felt like i should and i did, and now i'm uploading it on typoc for all you gaiz to see :D enjoy...

radiohead20kida20f.jpg

In the year 2000, in the aftermath of the Y2K craze and ultimate dissipation, Radiohead dropped a bombshell. After 3 years of intense speculation and anticipation, the band released their fourth and possibly greatest album, Kid A. The album, arguably the greatest of all time, polarized and divided fans and critics alike and by the end of the year nearly everyone had thrown in their two cents worth of criticism and analysis. And now 9 years later, it's Metaphours turn:

Within the first few seconds of the bleeps and ominous blips and snippets of Thom Yorke's beautiful crooning voice of the first track "Everything in It's Right Place" you know what your listening to is near sacred. With "Kid A" you begin to second guess yourself as to whether or not the album was made by humans or a super intelligent race of robots with amazing musical skill and sensibility. On "The National Anthem" you're immediately hooked with Colin Greenwood's repetitive and amazing bass riff (quite possibly the greatest bass riff ever, ironically the riff heard on the album was not played by Colin but by Yorke) and Phil Selway's hardcore, yet on time drumming. By the time this blows your mind to a truly explosive level, Radiohead shows their amazing and perfect ability to top themselves by throwing in a powerful and catchy tuba-riff which makes this song unforgettable. On the fourth track, "How to Disappear Completely" the ruckus of the previous track comes to a screeching halt and suddenly the listener is left alone with Thom Yorke's quiet acoustic strumming soon accompanied with Jonny Greenwood's amazing multi-instrumental abilities on the ghostly, yet gorgeous-sounding ondes Martenot.

Halfway through the album, we are greeted with the ambient track, "Treefingers" originally a guitar solo written by Ed O'Brien which was reversed and digitally processed, soothing the listener and guiding them through the halfway point of the album with ethereal soundscapes and lovely digital work. The soaring guitar hailing from OK Computer makes a daring return with the next song, "Optimistic." In this song Yorke croons poetic soliloquies while Jonny jams away on his guitar. Selway's drumming, loud and spacious completes the song, the only true glimpse of what Radiohead formerly was. Next up is "In Limbo," spooky yet charming, Yorke sings of being lost at see while presumably Colin plays a jazzy lick on a Rhodes piano.

Next is fan-favorite, Idioteque. A glitch/computer music inspired song, Idioteque effectively uses a sample from Paul Lansky's Mild Und Liese, which serves as the bumping basis for the entire song. Yorke and Greenwood's beats blirp and bleep through the song creating a deep atmosphere perfectly set for Yorke's beautiful voice. The penultimate track, "Morning Bell" is a culmination of everything that was built up over the course of the album: sparse guitar, visceral keyboards, amazing god-like vocals, and fantastic electronic and real life beats. "Motion Picture Soundtrack" the final song the album is a quiet and beautiful song which gloriously ends the album. Soothing harps build upwards in correlation to Yorke's vocals as horns sparsely accompany them in the background, eventually fading out slowly and gorgeously.

No matter how you feel about the album or the band itself, no one can deny that Kid A definitely made an impact on the music industry and introduced fans and easy-music-goers alike to a kind of underground music that was not being advertised mainstream-wise at the time. It's definitely made an impact on my life and I listen to the whole album once through at lease once or twice a day. Kid A is the album that firmly cemented my dreams of being a musician at some point in my life and has managed to crawl it's way into the center of my musical-heart.

SuperServal

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Nice post. Great and thorough description of one of the most respected albums of this decade (can you believe it is about to come to a close??!).

Here is what I said about Kid A in my blog when I counted down my top ten albums of the 00s (I wasn't feeling very wordy obviously):

me said:
4. Kid A by Radiohead

-Dark, complex, sad, pretty, elegant, frightening, messy, meaningless.

Favorite memory: I bring my portable iPod player with me on top of the sand dunes. It's a full moon. Across the river I see the dark forest. There are beams of moonlight shining through the trees to illuminate the glades. The music shines across the river and fills those spaces too.

The album is something that is for sure. It contains a haunting grace that is equally creepy/dark and beautiful/light.

Treefingers is one of the greatest "ambient" tracks I've heard. It's crazy how people don't like that track.

I remember the first time I heard How To Disappear Completely. I was in awe. The emotions expressed through great songwriting and technical skill crippled me in that moment. I was paralyzed with goosebumps and tears. It will always be one of my favorite songs.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I tried to get in to radiohead, I really did, but it just wasn't happening. I found them very overproduced on my listen throughs. Thought OK Computer was better too, but I'm gonna give them some more time, there's got to be some reason why they're so popular.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
I tried to get in to radiohead, I really did, but it just wasn't happening. I found them very overproduced on my listen throughs. Thought OK Computer was better too, but I'm gonna give them some more time, there's got to be some reason why they're so popular.

Yeah It took me a while to really get into Radiohead. I literally had the albums sitting on my desk for like a year until finally I was like, "alright if I'm not gonna listen to this I might as well give them away." And then I put it into my stereo and was in awe at how spectacular the album was. You definitely have to give it more time.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Great....just great....Radiohead fans:steam:

I'm going to be uncool and say I love Kid A :). And Amnesiac even more.

And Thom's voice rules. Learn to love it! :2ar15:
[YOUTUBE="zYJYE1eTMnE"]How I made my millions[/YOUTUBE]

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
That is my third-favorite of their albums. There were better albums made in 2000.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Dude...

I am the biggest Radiohead fan I know and I know every song on this album in obsessive detail, because I love it that much.

And I still think you've exaggerated quite a bit here, honestly.

All this gushing about 'greatest this' and 'greatest that ever' just shows a lack of contextual background regarding the sounds and styles that Kid A arose from.

It's a very enjoyable album, but Radiohead didn't invent powerful electronic music any more than Nirvana invented grunge. They just popularized a number of ideas that were already there.

Listen, if you just want to talk about how much you enjoy the album, that's great and I'm right there with you (saw Radiohead live last summer on the In Rainbows tour, amazing show)--but if that's all you're doing then there's no reason to make any pretense at "reviewing" the album, as if you're making any attempt to consider the context or all possible viewpoints on it/come to any kind of objective consensus.

I know you may see this as a middling concern, but that's not really what music critique is about. If I want to read verbal Thom Yorke fellatio, there's always Pitchfork.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I hate Pitchfork so much. That site gave Kid A a 10.0, and Pet Sounds a 7.5 (later changed when another new edition came out on CD).

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Well, they changed it because it's a different release taken in a different context. If they don't see any real improvement upon the original, it's going to get a lower score as this version has no particular artistic reason to exist.

But yes, they are rather pretentious, and they do need to get Yorke's dick out of their collective mouths.

BlueScreen

Fail 2.0
MBTI Type
YMCA
Agree. I think the album is great, but I think most critical analysis of it either misses the point, or wanders into fantasy world.

My gripes about critics making ridiculous stuff up to make things seem more interesting, rather than pointing out the highlights of what is really there, can wait for another thread.

I think people can vent about what they love though. It's good, and I'm not going to pick that.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well, they changed it because it's a different release taken in a different context. If they don't see any real improvement upon the original, it's going to get a lower score as this version has no particular artistic reason to exist.

But yes, they are rather pretentious, and they do need to get Yorke's dick out of their collective mouths.

It should never have been a 7.5 to begin with. The guy who reviewed said things like, "Well, after listening to things like OK Computer and Loveless, this just can't surprise my ears. . ." It's not good to be a professional music reviewer who admits to being unable to listen to music in historical context and decide accordingly.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It should never have been a 7.5 to begin with. The guy who reviewed said things like, "Well, after listening to things like OK Computer and Loveless, this just can't surprise my ears. . ." It's not good to be a professional music reviewer who admits to being unable to listen to music in historical context and decide accordingly.

lol My Bloody Valentine. Talk about overrated!

Pitchfork isn't inherently pretentious; they just have a lot of really pretentious people who write for them. (I gotta say I'm pretty glad Brent DiCrescenzo is gone, what a fuckup that guy was.)

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
lol My Bloody Valentine. Talk about overrated!

Pitchfork isn't inherently pretentious; they just have a lot of really pretentious people who write for them. (I gotta say I'm pretty glad Brent DiCrescenzo is gone, what a fuckup that guy was.)

I like My Bloody Valentine. True they are quite a bit overrated, but nonetheless Loveless is still a great album and one of the best of the 1990's. And yes, Pitchfork does have some annoying writers (they gave Guero by Beck a 6.6/10!) but all in all it's not too bad.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That's why placing quantitative numbers on music critique is bullshit.

MBV is good; I just have a hard time getting into it.

The problem is people don't realize that "high quality" is not the same thing as "enjoyable"; when you take the approach to reviewing music that "how this album made me feel personally is all that matters", you're not going to get a very useful or relevant review because nobody really cares how it made YOU feel personally...except for you.

A good music review is based on understanding competing artists in that genre during that time period and discussing semi-objectively and analytically which ones seem to have done the best job as compared to others, given the conditions and resources available at the time.

You have to understand that "I like it" doesn't actually mean "It's good", but most music critics have no idea what that concept even is.

metaphours

cast shadows
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5

The problem is people don't realize that "high quality" is not the same thing as "enjoyable"; when you take the approach to reviewing music that "how this album made me feel personally is all that matters", you're not going to get a very useful or relevant review because nobody really cares how it made YOU feel personally...except for you.

A good music review is based on understanding competing artists in that genre during that time period and discussing semi-objectively and analytically which ones seem to have done the best job as compared to others, given the conditions and resources available at the time.
You've got a great point, like for example The Guardian gave Kid A 2/5 stars simply because it "wasn't as good as OK Computer" which is prime BS, because those two albums are completely different in sound and can't even be compared. Plus even if you don't like the album you have to respect the fact that Radiohead were just experimenting with what they could do in the studio, as they weren't satisfied with OK Computer and began listening to different styles of music. Kid A just reflects all the stress/tension that was going between the band members and in the studio.

You have to understand that "I like it" doesn't actually mean "It's good", but most music critics have no idea what that concept even is.
I disagree, because I think most music critics are just doing they're job and even though they've been taught in music analysis, they still often rate albums just based on whether or not they themselves personally like the album. Not to mention all the time constraints due to the need of releasing a review soon after the album comes out, so they're not truly aquainted with the album yet. That was how I felt when I first listened to Kid A, anyhow.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
I like My Bloody Valentine. True they are quite a bit overrated, but nonetheless Loveless is still a great album and one of the best of the 1990's. And yes, Pitchfork does have some annoying writers (they gave Guero by Beck a 6.6/10!) but all in all it's not too bad.

That album isn't even in the top 10 for 1991.

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ

I feel the exact same way. There is a big difference between "I like it" and "it's good." I don't care much for Television, but I appreciate Marquee Moon. I enjoy a lot of early-1990s dance-pop because it's fun, not because it's tremendously creative. There has to be some objectivity involved.