User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 60

  1. #11
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Well, they changed it because it's a different release taken in a different context. If they don't see any real improvement upon the original, it's going to get a lower score as this version has no particular artistic reason to exist.

    But yes, they are rather pretentious, and they do need to get Yorke's dick out of their collective mouths.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  2. #12

    Default

    Agree. I think the album is great, but I think most critical analysis of it either misses the point, or wanders into fantasy world.

    My gripes about critics making ridiculous stuff up to make things seem more interesting, rather than pointing out the highlights of what is really there, can wait for another thread.

    I think people can vent about what they love though. It's good, and I'm not going to pick that.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

  3. #13
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Well, they changed it because it's a different release taken in a different context. If they don't see any real improvement upon the original, it's going to get a lower score as this version has no particular artistic reason to exist.

    But yes, they are rather pretentious, and they do need to get Yorke's dick out of their collective mouths.

    It should never have been a 7.5 to begin with. The guy who reviewed said things like, "Well, after listening to things like OK Computer and Loveless, this just can't surprise my ears. . ." It's not good to be a professional music reviewer who admits to being unable to listen to music in historical context and decide accordingly.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #14
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    It should never have been a 7.5 to begin with. The guy who reviewed said things like, "Well, after listening to things like OK Computer and Loveless, this just can't surprise my ears. . ." It's not good to be a professional music reviewer who admits to being unable to listen to music in historical context and decide accordingly.
    lol My Bloody Valentine. Talk about overrated!

    Pitchfork isn't inherently pretentious; they just have a lot of really pretentious people who write for them. (I gotta say I'm pretty glad Brent DiCrescenzo is gone, what a fuckup that guy was.)
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  5. #15
    cast shadows metaphours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    lol My Bloody Valentine. Talk about overrated!

    Pitchfork isn't inherently pretentious; they just have a lot of really pretentious people who write for them. (I gotta say I'm pretty glad Brent DiCrescenzo is gone, what a fuckup that guy was.)
    I like My Bloody Valentine. True they are quite a bit overrated, but nonetheless Loveless is still a great album and one of the best of the 1990's. And yes, Pitchfork does have some annoying writers (they gave Guero by Beck a 6.6/10!) but all in all it's not too bad.

  6. #16
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    That's why placing quantitative numbers on music critique is bullshit.

    MBV is good; I just have a hard time getting into it.

    The problem is people don't realize that "high quality" is not the same thing as "enjoyable"; when you take the approach to reviewing music that "how this album made me feel personally is all that matters", you're not going to get a very useful or relevant review because nobody really cares how it made YOU feel personally...except for you.

    A good music review is based on understanding competing artists in that genre during that time period and discussing semi-objectively and analytically which ones seem to have done the best job as compared to others, given the conditions and resources available at the time.

    You have to understand that "I like it" doesn't actually mean "It's good", but most music critics have no idea what that concept even is.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  7. #17
    cast shadows metaphours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    That's why placing quantitative numbers on music critique is bullshit.

    MBV is good; I just have a hard time getting into it.

    The problem is people don't realize that "high quality" is not the same thing as "enjoyable"; when you take the approach to reviewing music that "how this album made me feel personally is all that matters", you're not going to get a very useful or relevant review because nobody really cares how it made YOU feel personally...except for you.

    A good music review is based on understanding competing artists in that genre during that time period and discussing semi-objectively and analytically which ones seem to have done the best job as compared to others, given the conditions and resources available at the time.
    You've got a great point, like for example The Guardian gave Kid A 2/5 stars simply because it "wasn't as good as OK Computer" which is prime BS, because those two albums are completely different in sound and can't even be compared. Plus even if you don't like the album you have to respect the fact that Radiohead were just experimenting with what they could do in the studio, as they weren't satisfied with OK Computer and began listening to different styles of music. Kid A just reflects all the stress/tension that was going between the band members and in the studio.

    You have to understand that "I like it" doesn't actually mean "It's good", but most music critics have no idea what that concept even is.
    I disagree, because I think most music critics are just doing they're job and even though they've been taught in music analysis, they still often rate albums just based on whether or not they themselves personally like the album. Not to mention all the time constraints due to the need of releasing a review soon after the album comes out, so they're not truly aquainted with the album yet. That was how I felt when I first listened to Kid A, anyhow.

  8. #18
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by metaphours View Post
    I like My Bloody Valentine. True they are quite a bit overrated, but nonetheless Loveless is still a great album and one of the best of the 1990's. And yes, Pitchfork does have some annoying writers (they gave Guero by Beck a 6.6/10!) but all in all it's not too bad.

    That album isn't even in the top 10 for 1991.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #19
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    That's why placing quantitative numbers on music critique is bullshit.

    MBV is good; I just have a hard time getting into it.

    The problem is people don't realize that "high quality" is not the same thing as "enjoyable"; when you take the approach to reviewing music that "how this album made me feel personally is all that matters", you're not going to get a very useful or relevant review because nobody really cares how it made YOU feel personally...except for you.

    A good music review is based on understanding competing artists in that genre during that time period and discussing semi-objectively and analytically which ones seem to have done the best job as compared to others, given the conditions and resources available at the time.

    You have to understand that "I like it" doesn't actually mean "It's good", but most music critics have no idea what that concept even is.

    I feel the exact same way. There is a big difference between "I like it" and "it's good." I don't care much for Television, but I appreciate Marquee Moon. I enjoy a lot of early-1990s dance-pop because it's fun, not because it's tremendously creative. There has to be some objectivity involved.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  10. #20
    cast shadows metaphours's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    1,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    That album isn't even in the top 10 for 1991.
    Go die

Similar Threads

  1. The New Kid on the Block
    By Flicker in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-14-2011, 03:20 PM
  2. [MBTItm] Analysis: The "Hate an NF" threads
    By proteanmix in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 04-29-2008, 08:21 AM
  3. Introducing The SF Kid
    By SkyHigh in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 01:48 PM
  4. Your Kids Are Polluting the Earth
    By FranG in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 05-09-2007, 11:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO