User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Romance/Chick Flicks that sucked or rocked?

Since my post about love turned into a post about chick flicks, I thought I would create a post on the best and worst romance movies/chick flicks.

I just want to know from you:

What is the best romance movie/chick flick you watched? And why?

What is the worse romance movie/chick flick you watched? And why?

Or why do you watch chick flicks/romance movies? How often do you watch them?

Just curious, thanks for looking at this post.
    Last edited by Nonpareil; 09-28-2007 at 02:47 PM.
    Sorry for any typos, spelling or grammer errors but I'm a bit preoccupied planning my wedding.
    Or if you want to read more about me and help me gain more insight to your world (I do need more experiences in life), feel free to skim through my blog.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Best: Can't say I think there is one...but maybe "Stepford Wives" because of the creepiness of it.

Worst: "Clueless" (And I am ashamed for having seen it.)...among many, many others.

Almost never. If I ever watch one, it's usually because someone else wanted to watch it and I obliged to keep them company. There are a few that I did see of my own free will either because they were on TV or free On Demand and it seemed like a good idea at the time. As for why? Well, I guess it's because sometimes I like to see what other people's dreams of love are like. Though, they're usually a little too ordinary for my tastes... I never really identify with any of the characters...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

One of my guiltiest movie pleasures ever is "50 First Dates."
    I'm actually embarrassed to admit that. From an intellectual/consistency point of view, it's just so terrible.
    But it's also very sincere and sweet.

I remember liking Love Actually, and some of the other Hugh Grant vehicles.

In general, though, I would rather watch a good drama, especially one with spooky elements ("The Others" or "The Prestige" or "Silence of the Lambs" or something similar) than a chick flick.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I can't decide, so here is my Top Nine list in no particular order:

1. Bridget Jones's Diary
    2. Sense and Sensibility
    3. Pride and Prejudice
    4. Much Ado About Nothing
    5. The Princess Bride
    6. Grosse Pointe Blank
    7. While You Were Sleeping
    8. When Harry Met Sally
    9. 50 First dates

I like them because they are romantic and funny. The happy endings make me feel good.

I disliked The English Patient. No happy ending and if I remember right it didn't end happily because of something I considered stupid and trivial. That's just frustrating.

I watch chick flicks because they make me laugh and feel good. I probably watch several a year.

I have notoriously bad taste in movies, so yeah.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTJ

The Princess Bride is considered a chick flick? That was the unofficial high school group movie at my church.
    We are not poets
    We have no right to make amendments

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    The Princess Bride is considered a chick flick? That was the unofficial high school group movie at my church.
    Oh dear. You must have Generation X youth leaders.

To be honest I have the world's crappiest memory, so I did a search for chick flicks and turned up this list. The Princess Bride is on it and that is my All Time Favorite Movie, so I put it on the list. There's a decent chance Grosse Pointe Blank is also not a chick flick but it has a romantic element and it is probably my Second All Time Favorite Movie, so I put it in, too.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

John Cusack is cool.

All right, Cafe, you are really putting me in a bind, but any movie on your list I actually have seen, I've actually liked...

(And of course Grosse Pointe Blank and The Princess Bride are great movies no matter how they are categorized.)
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

The only two that I remember are The Notebook and IQ...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    John Cusack is cool.

All right, Cafe, you are really putting me in a bind, but any movie on your list I actually have seen, I've actually liked...

(And of course Grosse Pointe Blank and The Princess Bride are great movies no matter how they are categorized.)
    I'm going to pretend that means that my taste in movies isn't so bad after all since you are all smart and educated and stuff.
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISXJ

What is the best romance movie/chick flick you watched? And why?:

1) Miss Congeniality -- I think it's hilarious and Sandra Bullock is probably my all-time favorite actress.
    2) You've Got Mail -- I've probably seen it more times than I'd like to admit...but it is just oddly wonderful. Every time it comes on tv I am right there watching it.
    3) Diary of a Mad Black Woman -- If you haven't seen this movie, you should because it is so much better than you would ever think it would be.
    4) 10 Things I Hate About You -- Just wonderful in every way
    5) Hitch -- it was clever...and I think Will Smith is a great actor
    6) *And now for my shameful guilty pleasure* Dirty Dancing: Havanna Nights. Perhaps it's because I was a Spanish major...but goodness gracious I love that movie. There is something incredibly appealing about Latin dance/salsa...probably b/c it's is so opposite of my ISTJ personality.

What is the worst romance movie/chick flick you watched? And why?:

I'm not gonna lie, I thought Titanic was totally lame! Yeah, Rose loved Jack so much she just let him freeze to death in the water while she's floating on like an entire door or something. Move your butt over so your man doesn't die, Rose! (If I'm totally off here please correct me, I haven't seen the movie in years, but I distincly remember thinking, "why doesn't she just move over a bit?").

Or why do you watch chick flicks/romance movies? How often do you watch them?

I watch them because sometimes you just get in a sappy mood...and it feels good. I really don't have time to watch a lot of movies, but I might catch 1-2 a month if I'm lucky.