User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Romance/Chick Flicks that sucked or rocked?

I would also like to know how Andie MacDowell keeps getting cast in movies. Her level of beauty is, to me, not high enough to counteract the fact that she can't act her way out of a paperbag with the aid of a blowtorch and a machete. Having said that, I adore Four Weddings and A Funeral.

Loved both Sense and Sensibility and Much Ado About Nothing--the Emma Thompson versions (Keanu nothwithstanding). I always feel like she's me up there, which is probably the point of a chick flick.

When Harry Met Sally is pretty much the winner of the genre. Everything about that movie is done right. Funny, charming, quirky, and not too sappy.

Loved 10 Things I Hate About You. Taming of the Shrew set in high school, and somehow it worked.

Is Chocolat a chick flick? That movie rocked.

Now, Voyager is one of my favorite chick flicks of all time. Bette Davis starts out an overweight, unibrowed "spinster," then gets and X-treme makeover, and ends up in an ill-fated love affair with a handsome French stranger on a cruise.

Way overrated chick flicks: You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, Life is Beautiful, Sabrina (remake), Titanic (Kate Winslet always seems a good 10 years older than DiCaprio, to me. I don't buy them together.), Notting Hill.

Edit: I have to also agree with wolfy--Lost in Translation was phenomenal. I loved the almost-romance, and the complete feeling of being plopped down in surroundings that were so unfamiliar that the loneliness was palpable.
    Something Witty

Let's make this showy! Array raz's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Desperado44 View Post

Definitely, Maybe --Isla Fischer is too damn cute
    That was it! Definitely, Maybe was the one I was looking for. That movie was just plain amazing. And, yeah, I couldn't keep my eyes off Isla Fischer. Could she perhaps be an INFJ?

Habitual Fi LineStepper Array JocktheMotie's Avatar

I loved Failure to Launch. Zooey and the funny guy from National Treasure were awesome. If NT-NT relationships are really that much fun, I have no idea what I've been doing the past couple years.

Zooey is so sexy to me...

512 sp/so

I'm with the Cusack love. Hi Fidelity for sure.

Favourite (non-traditional) chick flicks would have to be Annie Hall, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Dr Zhivago and Lost in Translation.

I tend to group the "bad" chick flicks all together, they all tend to be bad in the same way, with exactly the same failings (corny script, bad acting, complete lack of basis in reality, unbelievable characters, waste of money). I recently saw this gem: Wild Child (2008) in the theatres with a friend, and it was as bad as Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! (2004) and Raise Your Voice (2004) and Chasing Liberty (2004). But none of the above ever induced the shoe-throwing that What Women Want (2000) did.

Senior Member Array
    863 sx/sp
    EIE Ni

Movie that is an abomination twightlight franchise
    Likes chickpea liked this post

trapped in zoobilee zoo Array Osprey's Avatar

Before Sunrise/Sunset (haven't seen midnight)
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

All three of them rocked.
    Free me from Zoobilee Zoo...