• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Romance/Chick Flicks that sucked or rocked?

C.J.Woolf

respect the brick
MBTI Type
INTP
Before Sunrise/Before Sunset
The Tao of Steve
High Fidelity
Shaun of the Dead (hey, it calls itself "a romantic comedy with zombies, or a zom-rom-com in short." :D)

quietmusician

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Not all suck. I think most of the mainstream chick flicks grasp that genre in a firm choke hold slowly suffocating cinematography. So that being said there are movies out there that do focus on female leads that are intelligent and deeply personal without being corny.

What is the best romance movie/chick flick you watched? And why?

Japanese Story - The cinematography is great and the storyline is believable. No happy ending.

In Her Shoes - Another Toni movie (she's awesome and underrated). The story is simple without going down a corny road.

What is the worse romance movie/chick flick you watched? And why?
Anything with Ashton Kutcher (enough said).

Or why do you watch chick flicks/romance movies?
I'm a movie buff. I'll watch anything once. I just like stories.

How often do you watch them?
Not often. I stick with dramas that don't deal with romance.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
haven't read the responses yet so sorry if this has been mentioned...but

true romance is one of my favorites...love it.

and when a man loves a woman

wolfy

awsm
What is the best romance movie/chick flick you watched? And why?

High Fidelity
Great characters with depth. I can relate to the lead character.

Runner Up Garden State, Lost in Translation.

What is the worse romance movie/chick flick you watched? And why?

Titanic.

Why do you watch chick flicks/romance movies?

I like movies

How often do you watch them?

Randomly

Just curious, thanks for looking at this post.

Your welcome

T

ThatGirl

"Grosse Pointe Blank" (always lovin' John Cusack)

I actually like that movie.

Best Movie About Love: Life is Beautiful

Best chick flick:
Roman Holiday (Audry Hepburn)
Cinderella (with Leslie Caron)
Someone Like You (Ashley Judd)

Worst Chick Flicks: Anything that goes "I love you, I hate you, Now i love you but we cant be together, Now we can be together but you don't love me, wait you do love me, but I'm dying so I hate you, no wait I love you."

I hate that shit.

amigone

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
4w5
The ones that come to mind are eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and forgetting sarah marshall. I generally like chic flicks and watch them occasionally. They're often sweet.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
How to Lose A Guy in 10 Days - This one will always hold a special place in my heart for the humor.
Cruel Intentions - Sebastian shows what an INTJ is capable of in manipulation. Though I'm wondering if he's an ENTJ.
A Walk to Remember - A lot of people bash this one, but a lot of people praise it. It was one of the VERY few movies that made my eyes watery. I'm wondering if Jamie was an ISFJ. My favorite part of it:
[YOUTUBE=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPNr0-1c8fo]Date[/YOUTUBE]

10 Things I Hate About You - I managed to watch this for the first time a few months before The Dark Knight came out. Heath Ledger showed how awesome he is:
[YOUTUBE=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZjdcCTUuGE]Heath Ledger[/YOUTUBE]

13 Going on 30 - I have a crush on Jennifer Garner, so this one goes without saying. This one had this amazing scene:
[YOUTUBE=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SnLuMoMMJk]Thriller[/YOUTUBE]

What Women Want

The Hot Chick - Another fun movie with a popular scene:
[YOUTUBE=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk5_xDXz77w]Boy Song[/YOUTUBE]

There was one other that I watched a few months ago. It came out early this year. It was about a guy explaining to his young daughter the story of how him and her mother got married. It involved 3 women, and she was trying to guess which one in the story was going to be her mother. I really wish I could remember it, but I loved it.

As for ones that sucked....Good Luck Chuck made me want to poke a needle in my eye. There was one other one...oh wait. Over Her Dead Body. That one was just...boring, and so predictable.

Another one, I'm not sure if it counts, but The Girl Next Door. I'm not sure if that counts as a chick flick.

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like how to loose a guy in 10 days too raz...i just think both characters are so cute. :)

Desperado44

MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm not going to lie...I like chick flicks...I like a movie that actually has a happy ending where people end up together

Serendipity -- is probably my favorite, John Cusak is a great dude that gives his sister work too.....

Definitely, Maybe --Isla Fischer is too damn cute

For Love of the Game -- Underrated flick....combines the lonely athlete/bachelor with the random beautiful single mother he meets and falls for.......good stuff

While You Were Sleeping-- Girls can actually fall for the balanced, good guy?

Cats and Dogs -- Garafolo lands a good dude

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I would also like to know how Andie MacDowell keeps getting cast in movies. Her level of beauty is, to me, not high enough to counteract the fact that she can't act her way out of a paperbag with the aid of a blowtorch and a machete. Having said that, I adore Four Weddings and A Funeral.

Loved both Sense and Sensibility and Much Ado About Nothing--the Emma Thompson versions (Keanu nothwithstanding). I always feel like she's me up there, which is probably the point of a chick flick.

When Harry Met Sally is pretty much the winner of the genre. Everything about that movie is done right. Funny, charming, quirky, and not too sappy.

Loved 10 Things I Hate About You. Taming of the Shrew set in high school, and somehow it worked.

Is Chocolat a chick flick? That movie rocked.

Now, Voyager is one of my favorite chick flicks of all time. Bette Davis starts out an overweight, unibrowed "spinster," then gets and X-treme makeover, and ends up in an ill-fated love affair with a handsome French stranger on a cruise.

Way overrated chick flicks: You've Got Mail, Sleepless in Seattle, Life is Beautiful, Sabrina (remake), Titanic (Kate Winslet always seems a good 10 years older than DiCaprio, to me. I don't buy them together.), Notting Hill.

Edit: I have to also agree with wolfy--Lost in Translation was phenomenal. I loved the almost-romance, and the complete feeling of being plopped down in surroundings that were so unfamiliar that the loneliness was palpable.

raz

Let's make this showy!
MBTI Type
LoLz
Definitely, Maybe --Isla Fischer is too damn cute

That was it! Definitely, Maybe was the one I was looking for. That movie was just plain amazing. And, yeah, I couldn't keep my eyes off Isla Fischer. Could she perhaps be an INFJ?

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I loved Failure to Launch. Zooey and the funny guy from National Treasure were awesome. If NT-NT relationships are really that much fun, I have no idea what I've been doing the past couple years.

Zooey is so sexy to me...

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm with the Cusack love. Hi Fidelity for sure.

Favourite (non-traditional) chick flicks would have to be Annie Hall, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Dr Zhivago and Lost in Translation.

I tend to group the "bad" chick flicks all together, they all tend to be bad in the same way, with exactly the same failings (corny script, bad acting, complete lack of basis in reality, unbelievable characters, waste of money). I recently saw this gem: Wild Child (2008) in the theatres with a friend, and it was as bad as Win a Date with Tad Hamilton! (2004) and Raise Your Voice (2004) and Chasing Liberty (2004). But none of the above ever induced the shoe-throwing that What Women Want (2000) did.

draon9

Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so
Movie that is an abomination twightlight franchise

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Two-Headed Boy
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Before Sunrise/Sunset (haven't seen midnight)
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

All three of them rocked.