First 2345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Nocap View Post
    functions are just the letters we use as protocol for referencing a specific cognitive action.
    Ne isn't palpable, nor can it be "gained" or built up. you can practice it... i suppose, but you're not gaining it, all you're doing is getting better at perceiving the abstract object.

i'm not sure if you mean to increase frequency of use by saying "gaining Ni" or whether by that you mean flexing the muscle that produces introverted abstract perceptions.
    I meant more just flexing the muscles/working on exercising it better.

but after having read the lyrics one time i think i'd know pretty well what it's about.
    Of course.

anyway, if he's an IN_J type, shadow has no relevance to Ni for him.
    I thought about that too, but I might be wrong about his type. Which function is the "shadow" anyway? He might just be referring to weaker functions in general, but I do know that the term "shadow" is lifted directly from Jung, whether or not MJK used it correctly.

At this point I'm leaning more toward INTP, based on what's been said here...like someone who is not a natural Ni user making some new realizations and watching his old worldview crumble, and being totally amazed by it.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    sorry im not very deep
    Finger deep within the borderline.
    Show me that you love me and that we belong together
    Relax, turn around and take my hand.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1

ditto. Great artists create pieces that are universally accessible and open to personal interpretation (message) while still delivering meaning at the superficial level (amazing sounds). My INFJ response: "everyone's right, cuz everyone's got their own experience w Tool/Maynard/APC".

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Such a haters thread, I'm not going to bother giving a response to all the individual posts. I will just generally say that Maynard James Keenan is an intelligent man. He knows what he writes about, and he knows how to write it. If things are interpretable multiple ways, it's probably because he wants it that way.

Adding to that I must say that forty six & 2, and lateralus are two of my all time favorite Tool songs.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Maynard isn't a "J" in my opinion he seems more INTP, i've never seen an INTJ dress in high heels and paint themselves being half naked on stage. lol
    I really no longer care about the Tool issue. But I have to say, why assume a J wouldn't do this? What fun is having an external standard if you can't rebel against it and what does it matter to rebel against the external standard if you don't worship it? Why waste the energy? High heels are a pain.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I really no longer care about the Tool issue. But I have to say, why assume a J wouldn't do this? What fun is having an external standard if you can't rebel against it and what does it matter to rebel against the external standard if you don't worship it? Why waste the energy? High heels are a pain.
    I know alot of INTJs and the last thing they want is to embarrass themselves, also from my experience most of them are very left brained. Maynard is defiantly more artsy, and sometimes in his earlier interviews he strikes me as a feeler (used to work at a pet shop). If you listen to his songs he goes on about questioning authority, over thinking and analyzing. He seems to be in his head alot.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Okay, I've got two final attempts. If these aren't examples of impersonal Ni, nothing is:

A handful of nothing is all that I need
    It contains plus and minus everything
    The odd combinations are what make up
    The world that you see before you
    In one hand I hold what people call good
    The rest I hold in the other
    But these are just symbols to the perfected minds
    Of which we are but mere reflections
    I was born to synthesize
    Energize and catalyze
    I was born to synthesize
    Like waves on still water the forms reappear
    Quickly erasing the ones before
    But forms like these are born only to die
    But the life in them lives forever
    Pyramids, spheres, and obelisks
    Are the patterns of all creation
    But the red polygons only desire
    Is to get to the blue triangle
    I was born to synthesize
    Visions rise before your eyes
    I was born to synthesize
    The orbits of consciousness spin round and round
    Apparently they go nowhere
    But the odd combinations are leading you on
    To your home which is in the center
    You were born to synthesize
    Aint no jive - its no surprise
    You were born to synthesize
    Like a grain of sand
    Swallowed by the desert
    Like a drop of rain
    That falls from darkened clouds

I am overwhelmed
    I stand here awed and humbled
    At the feet of giants
    Whose shadows stretch for miles

Staggering and infinite
    And full of ageless grace
    The universe seemed limitless
    Without any time
    Without any place
    Staggering and infinite
    The beauty of it all
    I feel insignificant
    Never have I ever felt so small

Like a century
    That passes in a day's time
    Like an endless loop
    That shudders to a stop

The world redefined
    An existence without boundries
    I am overcome
    I am lost within it's scale

Staggering and infinite
    Without any time
    Without any place
    Staggering and infinite
    The beauty of it all
    I feel insignificant

Like a drop of rain
    Swallowed by the desert
    Like a grain of sand
    That sinks beneath the waves

Even the greatest peak
    Will one day wear to nothing
    Even the deepest sea
    Will one day dry to dust

Staggering and infinite
    Without any time
    Without any place
    Staggering and infinite
    The beauty of it all
    I feel insignificant

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I thought about that too, but I might be wrong about his type.
    again emphasizing that i don't really pay much attention to this band, just like i didn't pay much attention to the thread, he seems like an ES_P who wants to be IN_J artist.
    that is to say, he's an ES_P who's got a comprehensive perception of the constituents of an intellectual/abstract/weird-ass artist [most of these: the real innovators in art are frequently IN_J] and deliberately presents himself in this way.
    also ISTP seems like a possibility. the various esoteric diligences he practices indicate Ti [or maybe even Fi] dominant.

he seems like Sully Erna to me.
    a total phony. talented guy, but just completely fake.

if this is the case, the one or more theories on shadow functions would help this song make sense.

otherwise, i have to assume he's speaking about everyone else in the first person, and that he puts the public on S_P.

which is retarded.
    it's S_J.
    Which function is the "shadow" anyway?
    i have yet to get a consistent answer on this.

i'd like to reiterate once again that i don't believe in shadow functions.
    the more people talk about shadow functions, the more they sound like voodoo preachers.
    He might just be referring to weaker functions in general, but I do know that the term "shadow" is lifted directly from Jung, whether or not MJK used it correctly.
    i doubt he did.
    most of these famous people don't know what they're talking about, and if these tool tours are as rigorous as they sound, i can't see that he'd have time to study typology in depth. shit... i've spent the better part of 2 years thinking about it and i'm not even done with it.

and that's not to mention the other bands he's in, and the winemakeing [weirdo...] he does. he's got too full a schedule to pick up a book.
    i'd believe that he stumbled across a typology webpage on yahoo-answers though.
    At this point I'm leaning more toward INTP, based on what's been said here...like someone who is not a natural Ni user making some new realizations and watching his old worldview crumble, and being totally amazed by it.
    maybe.

or maybe he's just another full of shit hollywood dick.

pardon my jade.
    we fukin won boys

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

incidentally, i'll be moving to the same town Herbert lives in, and would volunteer to do some field research for the sake of clarification in this thread.

i've been thinking about getting into the PI business anyway.
    we fukin won boys

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

again emphasizing that i don't really pay much attention to this band, just like i didn't pay much attention to the thread, he seems like an ES_P who wants to be IN_J artist.
    that is to say, he's an ES_P who's got a comprehensive perception of the constituents of an intellectual/abstract/weird-ass artist [most of these: the real innovators in art are frequently IN_J] and deliberately presents himself in this way.
    also ISTP seems like a possibility. the various esoteric diligences he practices indicate Ti [or maybe even Fi] dominant.

he seems like Sully Erna to me.
    a total phony. talented guy, but just completely fake.

if this is the case, the one or more theories on shadow functions would help this song make sense.

otherwise, i have to assume he's speaking about everyone else in the first person, and that he puts the public on S_P.

which is retarded.
    it's S_J.
    i have yet to get a consistent answer on this.

i'd like to reiterate once again that i don't believe in shadow functions.
    the more people talk about shadow functions, the more they sound like voodoo preachers.
    i doubt he did.
    most of these famous people don't know what they're talking about, and if these tool tours are as rigorous as they sound, i can't see that he'd have time to study typology in depth. shit... i've spent the better part of 2 years thinking about it and i'm not even done with it.

and that's not to mention the other bands he's in, and the winemakeing [weirdo...] he does. he's got too full a schedule to pick up a book.
    i'd believe that he stumbled across a typology webpage on yahoo-answers though.
    maybe.

or maybe he's just another full of shit hollywood dick.

pardon my jade.

Umm. I hope you're not being serious. Maynard Jame's Keenan is NOT a fake. And neither is he an ESP. That's the most absurd thing I've ever heard. (No offence to ESP's)

He's either an INTP, INFJ or INTJ. I really don't know how you can make a statement like that based on the lyrics to one song.
    <3

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Yeah Maynard is definitely INJ.

P.S. Have you heard all that shit about how 46 and two refers to the human race getting two extra chromosomes? So random.
    Yeah, if you're in to the newer occult "guru's" then look up Drunvalo Melchizedek for the 46&2. Mckenna had some similar ideas about human evolution, too.

I suspect Maynard has pulled ideas for lyrics from Crowley, Korzybski, etc, etc.

Apparently he's well read.
    “Some people will tell you that slow is good – but I’m here to tell you that fast is better. I’ve always believed this, in spite of the trouble it’s caused me. Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles, Bubba…”