• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Do you enjoy seeing plays and/or musicals?

Do you enjoy seeing plays and/or musicals?

• yes

Votes: 30 73.2%
  • no

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • not sure

Votes: 3 7.3%

• Total voters

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
No, they're not really my thing. Not sure what else there is to say about it...

I did once enjoy a performance of 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead' but mostly because I <3 the film and the dialogue made up for watching it in play form.

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yes, usually. :)

I like non-musical plays better than musicals,. though. A musical has to be pretty amazing for me to like it, something like "Les Miserables" or "Miss Saigon." I am not a fan of the campy musicals like "Oklahoma" or "Grease", etc.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I haven't really been to any, but I doubt I would enjoy a play or regular musical. I think I would enjoy seeing an Opera though, I've seen a few on TV and there were amazing.

I'm trying to get a friend to agree to go with me to one.

P

Phantonym

I live next to a theatre house so, yeah, I've seen pretty much all they've shown. Plays, musicals, operas, you name it, I've seen it. And enjoyed every second of it :yes:

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
It would be hard to find a musical I didn't like and I love plays but local theatres can be a total hit or miss. When it's shit it's almost painful but when it's good I can't think of many better ways to spend a couple of hours. My least favourite form of performance art is dance, everything else is on my way-cool list.

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
I love musicals, but not so much plays. I've seen Wicked twice. :D

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i like good ones yeah. haven't been in years though.

D

Dali

I think I would enjoy seeing an Opera though, I've seen a few on TV and there were amazing.

I'm trying to get a friend to agree to go with me to one.

The experience, visual and aural, is even more spectacular live.

Just don't start off with Wagner. These are great 'first operas'. Enjoy. :)

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I love plays. I used to be in them, as well. I love a good musical, too, but I don't necessarily like listening to showtunes for their own sake anymore. I also enjoy movie musicals. Live theatre is exciting and more immediate, and you really get to appreciate the level of talent that some people are blessed with.

My main problem with theatre is that it's too expensive. It becomes an elitist thing, where it should be accessible to all.

As a footnote, my friend's obssession with Wicked is enough to turn me off musicals forever. :p

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
I love both! Of course I've also done a fair amount of acting myself. There might be some kind of correlation there.

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yes, I like both, too. The intimacy of theatre and the production and performances in musicals.

Usehername

On a mission
Hate 'em.

Intellectually, they have my utmost respect. Experientially, I get caught in the trap of knowing that I made the effort to show up and fork out cash to watch them entertain me, and it makes me not feel entertained.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh it definatly depends.

Some plays/musicals I really enjoyed. Most I didn't like.

All the musicals I enjoyed have been rather sexy or suggestive musicals.

Cats was great too.

No I'm not a furry.

...Or am I?

I like tails!

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
My rule with musicals is that if it has a "dream ballet," I probably won't like it. All those 50s Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals were always a bit cheesy for my tastes.

Fidelia

Iron Maiden
Staff member
MBTI Type
INFJ
I love both. I just went to Fiddler On the Roof two nights ago. And I just saw The Importance of Being Earnest just a while ago. Both were great. I like having a chance to see several productions of the same thing to see how differently they cast it and make the set. It never gets old. Rogers and Hammerstein isn't my favourite, but I don't hate it either.

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ two of my favourites!

All those 50s Rodgers and Hammerstein musicals were always a bit cheesy for my tastes.

If by cheesy you mean awesome in an innocent 50s way then I totally agree! :yes:

Ahhh!

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
i enjoy plays, but i have not seen a whole lot of them. i don't really enjoy most musicals.

i tend to like more modern plays. i am not a big fan of shakespeare.
and i really dislike plays that are performed without any props or sets, i think they are called black box plays. when i see a play, i want it to have elaborate sets overflowing with details, too many details, like visual overload. :D
set design is very interesting to me, maybe more interesting than the actual play.