User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Indie Music?

Phantonym

My taste in music is very eclectic but here are some (indie)artists that I've been into lately:

Eugene McGuinness
    Menomena
    Fleet Foxes
    Beck
    Wild Beasts
    Lodger
    Cold War Kids
    The Black Keys
    Dan Auerbach
    Absent Elk
    Evermore
    I Am Kloot
    Friendly Fires
    Noisettes

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Typical "indie" qualities are just re-hashed aeolian melodies created by some dude wearing 70s glasses and a plaid outfit covered by an over-dramatic scarf twenty-feet long. They're all reinventing the same wheel. I can't stand most of them. Minus the Bear is respectable because they're a little more creative and innovative but bands like Death Cab and The Decemberists bore me. What pisses me off more are the emerging "indie" clubs where hipsters get to hang out and judge who has the most indie cred.
    When I first started getting into this kind of music I had no idea the baggage that came with it. I mean, I didn't know what hipsters were or that there was any specific sub-culture associated with many of the bands I started listening to...and I didn't know how much some people resented that sub-culture. I have actually never been around people trying to one up each other on "indie cred." I've seen elitism through the internet but never really in "real life." But I do live in Arkansas and Mississippi and I'm not so sure those two states have the best representation of hipster culture.
    9 wing 1

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Blech, I hate hipsters. I consider indie music to be the artists that create music for the sake of it, and would rather be innovative than signing with a record label that tells them how to play their music. Some of these bands are pretty popular, too, such as Radiohead or Modest Mouse.

And how are these bands reinventing the wheel? I've never heard anything CLOSE to Animal Collective in my life.
    "Poor bastard. Wait 'till he sees the bats. "
    enneagram - 7/5/3

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by fill View Post
    Blech, I hate hipsters. I consider indie music to be the artists that create music for the sake of it, and would rather be innovative than signing with a record label that tells them how to play their music. Some of these bands are pretty popular, too, such as Radiohead or Modest Mouse.

And how are these bands reinventing the wheel? I've never heard anything CLOSE to Animal Collective in my life.

yeah i agree with all this.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    i consider pretty much anyone on an independent record label to technically be "indie". i dunno how other people feel about it though.
    That's a bit too broad to have any commonality in terms of sound. You can have stuff ranging from symphonic death metal to world music.

Blech, I hate hipsters. I consider indie music to be the artists that create music for the sake of it, and would rather be innovative than signing with a record label that tells them how to play their music. Some of these bands are pretty popular, too, such as Radiohead or Modest Mouse..
    I'm an anti-Radiohead guy myself . The fans behave like their the only band doing quality music in the world. (not that I'm a fan...but I'll concede it's got production value and work put into it) and like their eyes are open to some sort occult reality :P There are lots of great musical artists out there. People just can't expect to find them in the mainstream.

I hate indie. I love alternative though. I don't like these hipsteresque bands. I prefer expressive bands like Nirvana or Rage Against the Machine. Bands should be unique and that's what many 'indie' bands aren't.

MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, the indie cred/hipster thing exhausts me. Not to mention, some of that stuff is just outright unlistenable to me. I can't stand all the little babydoll-voiced chicks with their pianos.

I do love Fleet Foxes a lot, though, and I like the Black Keys and this chick I discovered the other day, Diane Birch. She sounds a lot like a blend of Carole King and Carly Simon with a bit of Dusty Springfield thrown in.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Yeah, the indie cred/hipster thing exhausts me. Not to mention, some of that stuff is just outright unlistenable to me. I can't stand all the little babydoll-voiced chicks with their pianos.
    cough Joanna Newsom cough.

Better to just listen to music because you like it, imho. People should get credit for being independent about what they listen to, not for listening to what they feel pressured to like.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

So as to not be redundant, i'm only including the bands i listen to that haven't been mentioned yet (i think).

The Album Leaf
    Arcade Fire
    Au Revoir Simone
    Belle & Sebastian
    Bright Eyes
    Elf Power
    The Flaming Lips
    Matt Costa
    Mm
    Neutral Milk Hotel
    Ratatat
    Say Hi To Your Mom
    Sigur Rs

MBTI
    ESFJ

Dirty Projectors are probably the foremost example of actual American independent rock.

[YOUTUBE=YMPF6lpM0XM]Dirty Projectors - Stillness Is the Move[/YOUTUBE]
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"