User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Albums

Default Favourite Albums

What are your favourite music albums? And why?

Shpongle - Nothing Lasts... But Nothing Is Lost

Rating: 10 out of 10, the only album I would ever rate this high.

This is not so much a musical album as well as a state of mind. The music draws me in and hypnotizes me. The steady flow continues throughout the album, which has no pauses between the tracks, to make it very hard for me to turn off this album, even if I have to. The slowly changing themes and sounds unconsciously carry me away easily and make sure that the album is fresh and sounds completely new every time I listen to it. The way new sounds and instruments sometimes enter the music sends shivers down my spine. When the album finishes and the music leaves from inside my head I'm left with a feeling of solitude and a desire to put it back on right from the start again.

(The rest of the albums will remain unrated, they would all be 9 out of 10.)

Opeth - Damnation

Opeth, known for their insane rhythm changes, demonstration of technical superiority and deep heavy combined with clear as crystal vocals, completely surprised me when they released this album full of acoustic . I was never a real fan of their other material and damnation is actually the only Opeth album I can actually listen to for more then 10 minutes. Still laden with the typical I-Am-A-Better-Musician-Then-You'll-Ever-Be instrumentals and vocals this album knows, better then any other album in the world, how to combine that with deep and dark emotional themes.

Pain of Salvation - BE

How would you like to discuss several philosophic, ethic and moral issues with your stereo set? I'm not kidding, this album sums up the entirety of human existence from an existentialistic point of view. It's the concept album of concept albums. The one that tries to explain existence itself. Containing brilliant progressive metal compositions, often with a very unusual approach to music, interluded with pieces of conversation or songs in various genres. The attention to detail is staggering and it's easy to miss little things in the background that deal with continuing story of the album. Therefore, if you listen to the album for the first time it's very unlikely that you'll understand what it's actually about. All in all, this is an interesting album for everybody who likes his music complex and meaningful, but stay clear of it if you were thinking of a relaxing afternoon.

Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club

Too relaxed for Pain of Salvation. Let's try the almost exact opposite. Buena Vista Social Club is an album made by relaxed people, for relaxed people. It's the sound of sitting on a bench in a park on a particularly hot and sweaty sunny day. The music is a synergy of trumpets, guitar, vocals, percussion and other instruments that projects relaxation right into the atmosphere. In fact, listening to this album right now, I can't even be bothered to write more about it. I'm going to get an ice cold drink and enjoy the music right now. Adiůs.

Beck - Guero
    It's an excellent mix of many different musical stylings. Of course if you aren't a fan of Beck you aren't going to like it, but most all the tracks are good ones. (except for that dumb song where the robot-voice repeats 'Hell Yes')

Soundgarden - A-sides
    An awesome CD, may not count however becuase it is more of a compilation with the hits from Superunknown and Down on the Upside, of which I enjoyed Superunknown more.

Audioslave (first self-titled album)
    It has Soundgarden's Chris Cornell leading with vocals, backed up by the band from Rage Against the Machine. What isn't to like?

A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
    It has many hits on it, and some interesting down-tempo tracks that never had any radio play. I love the song 'The Nurse Who Loved Me'
    ...Then I ducked my head and the lights went out, and two guns blazed in the dark;
    And a woman screamed, and the lights went up, and two men lay stiff and stark...

it is tough to narrow it down, there are so many.
    off the top of my head,

Roforofo Fight - Fela Kuti
    Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
    Mothership Connection - Parliament
    Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus
    'S Make It - Art Blakey
    Beethoven's 9th Symphony - Ludwig van Beethoven
    Willy and the Poor Boys - Creedence Clearwater Revival
    Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix
    Ascension - John Coltrane
    Morrison Hotel - The Doors
    Moondace - Van Morrison
    Talking Book - Stevie Wonder
    The Orphan's Lament - Huun-Huur-Tu
    Funky Kingston - Toots and The Maytals

Shimmy - buena vista social club is a great album, and group! they have the quintesential cuban sound. that could easily be on my list, there are so many that could.

I'm sure I'm leaving some out and that I'll be editing this soon, but here goes.

1. Achtung Baby, U2
    2. Exile On Main Street, The Rolling Stones
    3. Appetite For Destruction, Guns N' Roses
    4. Get Behind Me Satan, The White Stripes
    5. Live 1975-1985, Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band
    6. Hysteria, Def Leppard
    7. Sticky Fingers, The Rolling Stones
    8. The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion, The Black Crowes
    9. Band-Girls-Money, Tsar
    10. Boys And Girls In America, The Hold Steady
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Senior Member Array SuperServal's Avatar

That Schpongle album seems pretty cool. I just listened to the first two tracks. I don't have much experience with trance electronica or whatever their music could be described as.

I loved that they included digitally altered quotes from (one of my favorite films) Waking Life!

"...and you can have so much damn fun in your dreams..."
    9 wing 1

173 so/sx

At the moment (Not overall - I could never make a list like that), and in no particular order:
    1. Warehouse: Songs and Stories, Husker Du
    2. Rodrigo y Gabriela, Rodrigo y Gabriela
    3. Free Hand, Gentle Giant
    4. Quiet is the New Loud, Kings of Convenience
    5. New Moon, Elliott Smith
    6. Lost and Gone Forever, Guster
    7. 10,000 Days, Tool
    8. Rockin' the Suburbs, Ben Folds
    9. The Best Of, Mano Negra
    10. In Rainbows, Radiohead
    and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw or gryffindor (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

videodrones; questions Array Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar

One of my friends kept playing that Shpongle album whenever I was in her presence. Every time, I'd stop and ask what it was, and every time it sounded different from before. Eventually I went and grabbed it -- and it's pretty good!

Doesn't rub me like Justice or Squarepusher or early Aphex Twin. Or even Cornelius. It's got teeth, though.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperServal View Post
    That Schpongle album seems pretty cool. I just listened to the first two tracks. I don't have much experience with trance electronica or whatever their music could be described as.

I loved that they included digitally altered quotes from (one of my favorite films) Waking Life!

"...and you can have so much damn fun in your dreams..."
    Yeah, and while this albums doesn't contain Shpongles best tracks I greatly enjoy the feel of the entire album much more then any of their other albums.

The genre is called Psybient by the way. It's a subgenre of goa/psytrance, which is usually very steady, beat driven, heavily layered trance music, combined with slower ambient, world music and other genres. This particular genre kicks ass, both at parties or at home. If you're interested in checking out more about Psytrance/Psybient, check out Simon Posford, and his numerous side projects. His music is fairly accessible compared to most other musicians working in this genre. You can also just look up my posts in the "What are you listening to" thread, there's bound to show up a lot of this genre in there.

For getting to know all kinds of electronic music, I can recommend the site Digitally Imported - Addictive Electronic Music. It hosts a lot of genre based free online radio stations.

More obscure albums:

Sigur Růs - Takk

This album contains the most ethereal beautiful sounds known to mankind. Basically, I've decided singlehandedly that if you don't get moved by this album you have no emotions at all. Sigur Růs is so far the only band I've ever seen live that was able to completely enthral their audience to the point where nobody would even cheer or clap as to not disturb the show. And with good reason. Listening to this album through my headphones before I go to bed ensures that I fall asleep like a baby, have nice relaxed dreams and wake up more relaxed than ever. On the rare occasions that I'm sad it's this album that always cheers me up. Take it from me, a definite recommendation!

The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute

I like to consider this album as the neurotic opposite of Takk. It is put together just as solid. Both Sigur Růs and The Mars Volta are amazing musicians who love to venture in completely new areas of music. Both albums are equally impossible to understand and both have the same melancholic feel as well. But where Takk is the gently quiet mental patient who doesn't understand the world and is perfectly fine with it. Frances The Mute is the dangerous lunatic who bounces up and down shouting: "I'm an airplane... I'm an airplane..." When listening to this album... I find it hard to concentrate..... Have to resist... urge........ not...... go.... mad...
    Actually, it's not that bad, but nevertheless the music is insane and brilliant at the same time. Genre wise, it's an unusual mix of rock, electronic, latin, jazz and many more styles coming together in a type of rather psychedelic progressive rock. With the often changing speed, volume and rhythm, and instrumentals that sound like they're doing individual solos but all at the same time, this album is a versatile record. Definitely a must have for every music lovers collection to be complete.

Senior Member Array The Outsider's Avatar
    5w4 sx

Some of my favorites...

maudlin of the Well - My Fruit Psychobells... A Seed Combustible

raison d'Ítre - Within the Depths of Silence and Phormations

Bohren & der Club of Gore - Sunset Mission

Agalloch - The Mantle

Virgin Black - Requiem - Mezzo Forte

Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell

Summoning - Oath Bound

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs