• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favourite Albums

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
What are your favourite music albums? And why?

Shpongle - Nothing Lasts... But Nothing Is Lost

Rating: 10 out of 10, the only album I would ever rate this high.

This is not so much a musical album as well as a state of mind. The music draws me in and hypnotizes me. The steady flow continues throughout the album, which has no pauses between the tracks, to make it very hard for me to turn off this album, even if I have to. The slowly changing themes and sounds unconsciously carry me away easily and make sure that the album is fresh and sounds completely new every time I listen to it. The way new sounds and instruments sometimes enter the music sends shivers down my spine. When the album finishes and the music leaves from inside my head I'm left with a feeling of solitude and a desire to put it back on right from the start again.

(The rest of the albums will remain unrated, they would all be 9 out of 10.)

Opeth - Damnation

Opeth, known for their insane rhythm changes, demonstration of technical superiority and deep heavy combined with clear as crystal vocals, completely surprised me when they released this album full of acoustic . I was never a real fan of their other material and damnation is actually the only Opeth album I can actually listen to for more then 10 minutes. Still laden with the typical I-Am-A-Better-Musician-Then-You'll-Ever-Be instrumentals and vocals this album knows, better then any other album in the world, how to combine that with deep and dark emotional themes.

Pain of Salvation - BE

How would you like to discuss several philosophic, ethic and moral issues with your stereo set? I'm not kidding, this album sums up the entirety of human existence from an existentialistic point of view. It's the concept album of concept albums. The one that tries to explain existence itself. Containing brilliant progressive metal compositions, often with a very unusual approach to music, interluded with pieces of conversation or songs in various genres. The attention to detail is staggering and it's easy to miss little things in the background that deal with continuing story of the album. Therefore, if you listen to the album for the first time it's very unlikely that you'll understand what it's actually about. All in all, this is an interesting album for everybody who likes his music complex and meaningful, but stay clear of it if you were thinking of a relaxing afternoon.

Buena Vista Social Club - Buena Vista Social Club

Too relaxed for Pain of Salvation. Let's try the almost exact opposite. Buena Vista Social Club is an album made by relaxed people, for relaxed people. It's the sound of sitting on a bench in a park on a particularly hot and sweaty sunny day. The music is a synergy of trumpets, guitar, vocals, percussion and other instruments that projects relaxation right into the atmosphere. In fact, listening to this album right now, I can't even be bothered to write more about it. I'm going to get an ice cold drink and enjoy the music right now. Adiós.

Willfrey

MBTI Type
IsTP
Beck - Guero
It's an excellent mix of many different musical stylings. Of course if you aren't a fan of Beck you aren't going to like it, but most all the tracks are good ones. (except for that dumb song where the robot-voice repeats 'Hell Yes')

Soundgarden - A-sides
An awesome CD, may not count however becuase it is more of a compilation with the hits from Superunknown and Down on the Upside, of which I enjoyed Superunknown more.

Audioslave (first self-titled album)
It has Soundgarden's Chris Cornell leading with vocals, backed up by the band from Rage Against the Machine. What isn't to like?

A Perfect Circle - Thirteenth Step
It has many hits on it, and some interesting down-tempo tracks that never had any radio play. I love the song 'The Nurse Who Loved Me'

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
it is tough to narrow it down, there are so many.
off the top of my head,

Roforofo Fight - Fela Kuti
Highway 61 Revisited - Bob Dylan
Mothership Connection - Parliament
Mingus Ah Um - Charles Mingus
'S Make It - Art Blakey
Beethoven's 9th Symphony - Ludwig van Beethoven
Willy and the Poor Boys - Creedence Clearwater Revival
Are You Experienced? - Jimi Hendrix
Ascension - John Coltrane
Morrison Hotel - The Doors
Moondace - Van Morrison
Talking Book - Stevie Wonder
The Orphan's Lament - Huun-Huur-Tu
Funky Kingston - Toots and The Maytals

Shimmy - buena vista social club is a great album, and group! they have the quintesential cuban sound. that could easily be on my list, there are so many that could.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm sure I'm leaving some out and that I'll be editing this soon, but here goes.

1. Achtung Baby, U2
2. Exile On Main Street, The Rolling Stones
3. Appetite For Destruction, Guns N' Roses
4. Get Behind Me Satan, The White Stripes
5. Live 1975-1985, Bruce Springsteen & The E-Street Band
6. Hysteria, Def Leppard
7. Sticky Fingers, The Rolling Stones
8. The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion, The Black Crowes
9. Band-Girls-Money, Tsar
10. Boys And Girls In America, The Hold Steady

SuperServal

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
That Schpongle album seems pretty cool. I just listened to the first two tracks. I don't have much experience with trance electronica or whatever their music could be described as.

I loved that they included digitally altered quotes from (one of my favorite films) Waking Life!

"...and you can have so much damn fun in your dreams..."

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
At the moment (Not overall - I could never make a list like that), and in no particular order:
1. Warehouse: Songs and Stories, Husker Du
2. Rodrigo y Gabriela, Rodrigo y Gabriela
3. Free Hand, Gentle Giant
4. Quiet is the New Loud, Kings of Convenience
5. New Moon, Elliott Smith
6. Lost and Gone Forever, Guster
7. 10,000 Days, Tool
8. Rockin' the Suburbs, Ben Folds
9. The Best Of, Mano Negra
10. In Rainbows, Radiohead

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
One of my friends kept playing that Shpongle album whenever I was in her presence. Every time, I'd stop and ask what it was, and every time it sounded different from before. Eventually I went and grabbed it -- and it's pretty good!

Doesn't rub me like Justice or Squarepusher or early Aphex Twin. Or even Cornelius. It's got teeth, though.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
That Schpongle album seems pretty cool. I just listened to the first two tracks. I don't have much experience with trance electronica or whatever their music could be described as.

I loved that they included digitally altered quotes from (one of my favorite films) Waking Life!

"...and you can have so much damn fun in your dreams..."

Yeah, and while this albums doesn't contain Shpongles best tracks I greatly enjoy the feel of the entire album much more then any of their other albums.

The genre is called Psybient by the way. It's a subgenre of goa/psytrance, which is usually very steady, beat driven, heavily layered trance music, combined with slower ambient, world music and other genres. This particular genre kicks ass, both at parties or at home. If you're interested in checking out more about Psytrance/Psybient, check out Simon Posford, and his numerous side projects. His music is fairly accessible compared to most other musicians working in this genre. You can also just look up my posts in the "What are you listening to" thread, there's bound to show up a lot of this genre in there.

For getting to know all kinds of electronic music, I can recommend the site Digitally Imported - Addictive Electronic Music. It hosts a lot of genre based free online radio stations.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
More obscure albums:

Sigur Rós - Takk

This album contains the most ethereal beautiful sounds known to mankind. Basically, I've decided singlehandedly that if you don't get moved by this album you have no emotions at all. Sigur Rós is so far the only band I've ever seen live that was able to completely enthral their audience to the point where nobody would even cheer or clap as to not disturb the show. And with good reason. Listening to this album through my headphones before I go to bed ensures that I fall asleep like a baby, have nice relaxed dreams and wake up more relaxed than ever. On the rare occasions that I'm sad it's this album that always cheers me up. Take it from me, a definite recommendation!

The Mars Volta - Frances The Mute

I like to consider this album as the neurotic opposite of Takk. It is put together just as solid. Both Sigur Rós and The Mars Volta are amazing musicians who love to venture in completely new areas of music. Both albums are equally impossible to understand and both have the same melancholic feel as well. But where Takk is the gently quiet mental patient who doesn't understand the world and is perfectly fine with it. Frances The Mute is the dangerous lunatic who bounces up and down shouting: "I'm an airplane... I'm an airplane..." When listening to this album... I find it hard to concentrate..... Have to resist... urge........ not...... go.... mad...
Actually, it's not that bad, but nevertheless the music is insane and brilliant at the same time. Genre wise, it's an unusual mix of rock, electronic, latin, jazz and many more styles coming together in a type of rather psychedelic progressive rock. With the often changing speed, volume and rhythm, and instrumentals that sound like they're doing individual solos but all at the same time, this album is a versatile record. Definitely a must have for every music lovers collection to be complete.

The Outsider

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
Some of my favorites...

maudlin of the Well - My Fruit Psychobells... A Seed Combustible
myfruitpsychobellsaseed.jpg

raison d'être - Within the Depths of Silence and Phormations
05061207.jpg

Bohren & der Club of Gore - Sunset Mission
bohrenderclubofgoresuns.jpg

Agalloch - The Mantle
coverwns.jpg

Virgin Black - Requiem - Mezzo Forte
virgino.jpg

Draconian - Arcane Rain Fell
ArcaneRainFell.jpg

Summoning - Oath Bound
oath.jpg

Arcturus - La Masquerade Infernale
la20masquerade20inferna.jpg

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
raindogs300x300.jpg

Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F♯A♯∞
00godspeedyoublackemper.jpg

Howlin' Wolf - Moanin' in the Moonlight
howlin27wolffront.jpg

Dargaard - Eternity Rites
fae5e495c5086337649224a.jpg

Esoteric - The Maniacal Vale
19489.jpg

Earth - The Bees Made Honey in the Lion's Skull
Earth-TheBeesMadeHoneyInTheLionsSku.jpg

ZiL

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
567?
Oh my oh my oh my...there's really so many.

Most of Beck's catalogue - in order, maybe Mutations, Midnite Vultures, The Information, Sea Change, Modern Guilt, Guero, Odelay, Mellow Gold. But it changes all the time outside of the first two.

Ryan Adams - Jacksonville City Nights, Cold Roses, Love is Hell, Gold

Sondre Lerche - Faces Down

Secret Machines - Now Here is Nowhere, Ten Silver Drops

Elliott Smith - pretty much all of it equally

Die Ärzte - Die Bestie in Menschengestalt

The Replacements - Sorry Ma, Forgot to Take Out the Trash

Sonic Youth - Sister

Neko Case - Middle Cyclone

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Some of my favorite albums include

8 Mile
The Eminem Show
Abbey Road (Beatles)
Relapse
Encore
Anything Beethoven

I like albums which just have awesome background noise- for instance- "Thunderstorms" and "Whale Noises"

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
BUMP

I know it's been a long time, but I recently got hold of a new album that's been dominating my life lately.

Gorillaz - Plastic Beach

This album is more varied and complex then their previous productions. Yet at the same time it is more coherent and holistic than the first two albums. It's hard to describe the album as a specific genre since the songs range from pop, to trip-hop & hip hop, to full blown psychedelica. I think most people, even those who don't usually like this type of music at all, will find something to appreciate in this album. Artists who worked on this album include amongst others Lou Reed, Snoop Dog, Bobby Womack, The Lebanese National Orchestra for Oriental Arabic Music, and off course the Gorillaz's Damon Allbarn who also produced the album. With such an unusual mixture of artists Damon did an amazing job combining the particular styles these artists have with one another and turning it into a proper album.

First assuring you that there is no weak link in any of the songs, to me, with my peculiar taste, the rap song 'White Flag' and the psychedelic song 'Plastic Beach' stand out as particularly amazing.

P.S. When I first listened to this album... I was in a different state of conciousness. This albums took me on a journey to places I could've never imagined before.

[YOUTUBE="dQWT7fNrVqQ"]Gorillaz - White Flag[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE="9qhchE6rEZE"]Gorillaz - Plastic Beach[/YOUTUBE]

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
While we're at it, might as well tell you about another one of my favourite albums:

The Libertines - The Libertines

I'm guessing there are quite a view forum members who know this album already. Nevertheless, I view it as underrated in public opinion, simply because not everybody in the entire world has heard about it at least three times.

To understand this album a little better it's useful to know something about the background of the band, especially the relation between the two frontmen Carl Barât and Pete Doherty. Pete, being a heavy heroin and cocaine addict was kicked out of the band by Carl earlier in the bands history. Pete, in revenge burglared Barât's apartment but was caught and thrown in prison. Later they reconciled and reunited the band. In that period, Pete was still addicted, they recorded this, second and last, album. This didn't go without problems as Pete would keep on inviting other people and do drugs during the sessions. Rumour has it that there were body guards present all the time to keep the two frontmen from assaulting each other.

Anyway, a lot of songs on this album talk about the love-hate relationship between the two egomaniac musicians, and even the songs that aren't about themselves usually have lyrics that with a negative or cynical ring to them. These lyrics stands in sheer contrast to the cheerful up-tempo melodies. Compared to other Indie music this album has a harder sound than most others, but without losing it's melodic side. This is partly due to the clever use of two guitarists/lead singers, a full and original guitar sound throughout the album. And even though the two frontmen do take up most of the spotlight on and off stage, in their music there still is a balanced mix between all the instruments. In short, this album is album is a masterpiece from a band that shouldn't logically be able to work together this good.

P.S. Whenever I don't know what I want to listen to I always find myself putting on this album. I have no idea why. It certainly isn't as special or spectacular as the other albums I reviewed here, but it just does something to my mind which makes me like this album more then most others in the world.

[YOUTUBE="_HSd4p6sHEg"]The Libertines - Can't Stand Me Now[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="n4SAY2NhE7Y"]The Libertines - What Became Of The Likely Lads[/YOUTUBE]

Robopop

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Some of my favorites

Twoism - Boards of Canada

This album has a slow, melancholic mood. Warm, analog, forest, robot, childhood, summer, playground, these are some of the things I think when I listen to this album.

Wild Honey - The Beach Boys

This is called The Beach Boy's "soul" album. In contrast to the overproduced sounds of Pet Sounds, this album has a quirky homemade, stripped down sound, with boogey woogie piano, guitar, organ, horns, and bass. All the critics praise Pet Sounds as one of the greatest albums of all time, but in my opinion Wild Honey is tied with Sunflowers as being my favorite Beach Boys album.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
The Beatles and Pink Floyd are my top favorite bands, so more than half my collection consists of their albums. I've got all the Beatles' albums, I don't have all of the Floyd's albums, but I have enough to the point where I consider myself a fanatic. :newwink: Anyway, if it's by the Beatles or Pink Floyd, then it is on my list of favorite albums.

The Doors- Morrison Hotel

Pearl Jam- Ten

The Who- Tommy

Aerosmith- Toys in The Attic and Permanent Vacation

Syd Barrett- The Madcap Laughs, Opel and Magnesium Proverbs

Greatest Hits Compilations I've been listening to a lot as well:
The Doors
Aerosmith
Journey
The Who
Syd Barrett

The_World_As_Will

In the Court of the Crimson King- King Crimson

IntheCourtoftheCrimsonKing.jpg

In The Wake of Poseidon- King Crimson

In_the_Wake_of_Poseidon.jpg

Lizard- King Crimson

KingCrimsonLizard.jpg

Black Sabbath - Master of Reality

black_sabbath___master_of_reality.jpg_320_320_0_9223372036854775000_0_1_0.jpg

Penis Envy- Crass

Penisenvy.jpg

Virtual XI - Iron Maiden

Iron_Maiden_-_Vitrual_XI.jpg

The X Factor- Iron Maiden

Iron_Maiden_-_The_X_Factor.jpg

Lateralus - Tool

Tool-lateralus-album.jpg

there are probably more to this list just can't think of any that truly stand-out.