• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Best Rock Solo

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Inspired by the best rock riff, here's a the "best rock solo" thread. Post away.

One of my favourite guitar solo's
[YOUTUBE="tkJNyQfAprY"]Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb[/YOUTUBE]

One of my favourite bass solo's, and definitely my all time favourite bassist.
[YOUTUBE="TVl39LBZGMw"]John Entwistle - 5:15[/YOUTUBE]

Best keys solo (This guy is insane).
[YOUTUBE="jDsvZGM1vD8"]Rick Wakeman[/YOUTUBE]

Drums would've easily gone to Zepp's great Moby Dick, if this guy didn't get a billion extra credits for showmanship.

[YOUTUBE="wdHceDElBxs"]Joey Jordison[/YOUTUBE]

wolfy

awsm
[YOUTUBE="tWLw7nozO_U"]Stevie Ray Vaughan - Texas Flood (Long version!)[/YOUTUBE]

drums I'll go with...

[YOUTUBE="VsVZdF5OnSs"]Grand Funk Railroad Live - T.N.U.C.(with drum solo)[/YOUTUBE]

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
No rock solos really come to mind for me, but Victor Wooten's bass solo in DMB's live performance of #41 is something I love listening to. He has a wonderful sound.

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gws_RdmL4LU"]Victor Wooten-#41 Solo[/youtube]

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Oooh, I LOVE Stevie Ray Vaughan and Victor Wooten

This = good thread.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Slipknot, dude? Seriously?

HINT: "Difficult to play" =/= "Good"

And OF COURSE some NT posts a Malmsteen video.

Artistry doesn't revolve around playing faster than everyone. It's a combination of technique and expressiveness, the latter of which Mr. Malmsteen and that Slipknot dude have little to none.

Who's next guys, Michael Angelo Batio? :doh:

iamathousandapples

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w6
Slipknot, dude? Seriously?

HINT: "Difficult to play" =/= "Good"

And OF COURSE some NT posts a Malmsteen video.

Artistry doesn't revolve around playing faster than everyone. It's a combination of technique and expressiveness, the latter of which Mr. Malmsteen and that Slipknot dude have little to none.

Who's next guys, Michael Angelo Batio? :doh:

[youtube="bVmq2C5kLoM"]Yeah, I went there[/youtube]

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Artistry doesn't revolve around playing faster than everyone. It's a combination of technique and expressiveness, the latter of which Mr. Malmsteen and that Slipknot dude have little to none.:

If you come in here to tell me what is and what is "good" I want a...

Source!

p.s. No pun, but sarcasm intended. I wholeheartedly don't like slipknot or Malmsteen, but as far as solos go, they're both pretty sick. Personal preference is not a replacement for objectivity.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3I1DmLa6MQk&feature=player_embedded"]Wintersun-Winter Madness Solo[/youtube]

I wish he'd just hurry up with Time already. Or go back to Ensiferum.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Oh my god, I have the best one ever. It's also one of the best performences I' ever seen (not in person, though)

Santana's Soul Sacrifice is undoubtedly one of my most favorite songs, and they performed it best at Woodstock in 1969.

It runs almost 10 minutes, is instrumental, and is full of guitar, drum, auxiliary, and keyboard solos.

My favorite is Mickaël Shrieve's solo on drumset. It's one of the best drum solos I've probably ever heard.

I highly encourage you to listen to the whole thing and tell me what you think, it's such an incomparable song.

YouTube - Santana - Soul Sacrifice (Woodstock 1969)

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
If you come in here to tell me what is and what is "good" I want a...

Source!

p.s. No pun, but sarcasm intended. I wholeheartedly don't like slipknot or Malmsteen, but as far as solos go, they're both pretty sick. Personal preference is not a replacement for objectivity.

Funny, just like how "Check out how many notes I crammed into this solo" is not a replacement for artistic ability.

Who needs George Harrison or anyone who actually has a unique style when you can watch Yngwie beat off to his own guitar playing for hours on end?

The problem with so-called "artists" whose only real redeeming quality is their blistering technique is that there are always 20,000 other session players who can do exactly the same thing.

When I was younger and in my Wooten-oriented bass wankery phase, a sax player once told me this:

"Every instrument has its technical virtuosos. The good musicians are the ones whose improvised melodies sound better than the originals."

If you think Jordison comes anywhere near the "sick" range when it comes to drum solos, you don't listen to jazz, and you probably don't really know any particularly good drummers. Nobody outside a core following of metalheads actually gives a shit how many 128th notes per second you can get out of your bass drum--they care if you can write a SONG that sounds MUSICAL. End of story.

I don't intend to prove objectively that Malmsteen isn't a particularly relevant or worthwhile songwriter, but I do believe inductive arguments here can show a high probability of that. It's not that what he's doing isn't difficult, just that it's not really unique. He gets the fame because he's better at marketing himself to the masses.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
I took the liberty of leaving out the parts I agree with.

you don't listen to jazz, and you probably don't really know any particularly good drummers.

He gets the fame because he's better at marketing himself to the masses.

See we got more in common then you give me credit for. This is just an outright assumption of you, furthermore it's plain wrong. Admittedly I don't listen to jazz that often, but there are times when I enjoy my (amongst others) Deodato and Galliano records. As for some particularly good drummers: Neil Peart, Thomas Haake (yes, another billion-notes-a-second bass drum player), Terry Bozzio, Danny Carey and Joe Morello are some of my favorites.
See what I just did. I posted some semi-obscure but highly credited drummers there to proof that I have at least some justification in calling people a good drummer.

As for Malmsteen, I don't really like his style that much personally, but here's what I have to give him credit for.

Wikipedia said:
Years active 1978 - present
He's been rocking balls for thirty years in the style he basically created (neo-classical guitar shredding). Sure he's might be a relic of the past, But he's the godfather to all those 20,000 session musicians who can after all do nothing but emulate him.

Drums would've easily gone to Zepp's great Moby Dick, if this guy didn't get a billion extra credits for showmanship.

See. In my original post I already said that Jordison needs at least a billion extra credits to get posted in this thread, he got them with the originality of his show. Setting up a performance takes skill AND originality as well. Something severely lacking in any Dire Straits show for instance.

I'll post this one just for you... It's adorable.

[YOUTUBE="WPncumXZExo"]Tony Roster Jr.[/YOUTUBE]

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
[YOUTUBE="qG74eVb6V10"]Michael Angelo Batio - No Boundries[/YOUTUBE]

pure_mercury

Order Now!
MBTI Type
ESFJ
This song has two extended solos, and they are both quite bizarre. I love Steely Dan.

[YOUTUBE=Pj9Rs56u8YY]Steely Dan - My Old School[/YOUTUBE]

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
^^^

Love that one. There are some great riffs and solos in Steely Dan.

I'm having trouble accessing youtube today, but Eddie van Halen's solo in Michael Jackson's Beat It was pretty awesome.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
When it comes to this I probably have a bias towards psychedelic rock, but I believe Hendrix to be the best popular guitarist ever when it came to soloing.

Michael Angelo can play fast, and Steely Dan is a great studio musician, but neither can hold a flame to Hendrix at Woodstock playing Fire.

[YOUTUBE="qQRUcybOjOM"]Jimi Hendrix - Fire[/YOUTUBE]

2:25 - 2:58 for the solo.

FC3S

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
There is only one bytchin' guitar solo from my youth which stands out -

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_ysnD0cw5M"]Bytchin' Guitar Solo[/YOUTUBE]

And surprisingly, yes many people play it wrong.