• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Jazz!

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
is anyone here into jazz?
i am a huge jazz fan, especially bebop from the 50s and 60s. john coltrane and charles mingus are my jazz idols. but i love jazz, and lots of jazz from other times as well.

so, any jazz fans?

if you are a fan of jazz, check out this website:
Jazz portrait, by Art Kane
it is a photo from 1958 of a bunch of jazz guys in one place at the same time. you can click on parts of the photo to see who is who.

S

Sniffles

Yes I'm a big fan of Jazz. I especially like Gypsy-style Jazz, with the likes of Django Reinhardt:
[youtube="o6jwvS0mHwo"]Gypsy-style Jazz[/youtube]

Here's one Paris Combo song performed in this style as well:
[youtube="HWtroU4pUII"]Gypsy-style Jazz II[/youtube]

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
django is great! you probably have listened to stephane grappelli's solo work also, that he produced after the hot club of france. grappelli is such a great violinst, but i love the raw emotion that django has in his guitar playing.

here is a great moden gypsy guitarist, Jimmy Rosenberg:

[YOUTUBE="pjVoPlT-IEk"]jimmy rosenberg[/YOUTUBE]

and when he was "younger" ;) :

[YOUTUBE="tvd7m996kcs"]jimmy rosenberg, 1990[/YOUTUBE]

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
here is a great video of John Coltrane in 1963, playing with McCoy Tyner and Elvin Jones. i love the passion and emotion that john has in this video.

[YOUTUBE="8j_TDoOPnIA"]coltrane[/YOUTUBE]

S

Sniffles

Here's a good example of Latin Jazz:
[youtube="liLaDdG8rAE"]Latin Jazz[/youtube]

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
great!
i like latin jazz, especially brazilian samba and bossa nova, and cuban pianists.

here is a recording of Ruben Gonzalez, a cuban pianist:

[YOUTUBE="gR0vMyDoDN0"]ruben gonzalez[/YOUTUBE]

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I absolutely love Jazz. One of my most favorite Jazz groups is a New Age jazz group called Shadowfax.

My favorite Jazz artist is by far Miles Davis. I listen to 'Kind of Blue' a lot when I'm working on homework and it really brings me into a concentrated and focused mind.

To me, Jazz is the absolute freedom and release to be myself. I playt trumpet in my High School Jazz band, and improvising solos and messing around with what sounds and feels good is one of the greatest feelings ever.

run

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I'm a big fan of Acid Jazz music. The loungey-er the better

[YOUTUBE="z-k2GHrCfJc"]Peshay[/YOUTUBE]

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I'm a big fan of Acid Jazz music. The loungey-er the better

[YOUTUBE="z-k2GHrCfJc"]Peshay[/YOUTUBE]

I love acid jazz.

I have a CD called PsychefunkaJazz, and it sounds a bit like slow mellow riming, not rapping, but it's really smooth.

I love Stevie Wonder, too. He's probably one of my all time favorite musicians.

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
My favorite Jazz artist is by far Miles Davis. I listen to 'Kind of Blue' a lot when I'm working on homework and it really brings me into a concentrated and focused mind.

Kind of Blue is definitely Miles' best album! i like Bitches Brew, but i really love his albums from the late 50s and early 60s, like Kind of Blue, Milestones, and Blue Haze.

I love Stevie Wonder, too. He's probably one of my all time favorite musicians.

seconded!

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
oh, this is a great thread. i love nothing more than jazz as background music while i'm sipping wine and cooking. i love jazz clubs (there are none here, however :sad: ) too. i'm the kind of person that needs others to find/buy me music. i don't pay a lot of attention to artists, but i am very into certain sounds and know what i like......so i'll go through this thread and find things to add to my playlist. thanx!

k. i know i like:

*miles davis* (my cookin cd)
*coltrane*
*latin jazz*
*cannonball adderley* (my cookin cd)​

i also like peguy's post of chicago-style jazz. i don't really like acid jazz. brings back memories of the 70's, or grocery store shopping, neither of which i really like to recall.​

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvL-i0VE7Co"]love this one--cannonball adderley, autumn leaves[/youtube]​

i like jazz for cookin' or chillin', but when i feel raucous or groovy, i like me some funk

[youtube="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Qnoh3h6JD8"]yeah![/youtube]​

Kingfisher

full of love
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
aphrodite - cannonball made a latin jazz album with a group from brazil. it is called 'Cannonball's Bossa Nova', i am sure you would like it.
here's a recording from it:

[YOUTUBE="dOisRCpUqhY"]cannonball's bossa nova[/YOUTUBE]

here is an interesting video of Dexter Gordon. you get to see him practicing for about a minute backstage, before he goes on stage:

[YOUTUBE="eZE2ZZ79Yos"]dexter gordon[/YOUTUBE]

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
aphrodite - cannonball made a latin jazz album with a group from brazil. it is called 'Cannonball's Bossa Nova', i am sure you would like it.

yes. i do like it, but it's a little soft around the edges, you know? a little too.......regular and predictable? i like an edgier, sharper sound, if that makes sense (i have no musical talent obviously, so i don't know lingo).

thanks for the recommendation. i need to work on my playlist. :headphne:

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
Yeah, in general jazz doesn't do a bunch for me. It's mostly about execution, whereas what interests me is more the conception of things.

There are exceptions. There always are. Cab Calloway is a genius, for one.

For me it all starts to go to wanktown with bebop. Can't really deal with that.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
Best Jazz ("Dixieland" if you want to get technical) album I've ever heard, hands down, is Pete Fountain's "Pete Fountain Day". It was a live recording of a quintet of his studio recording cats to include: Pete Fountain on Clarinet, Don Bagley on bass, Vibeist Godfrey Hirch, Pianist Merle Koch and Jack Sperling on drums (awesome drummer!). The energy of the performance is unreal. Any person remotely into Jazz (or good music in general) needs to check out this recording. I don't even know that CDs have been pressed of the album, but I know you can find the vinyl on ebay for under $15. It's well, well worth it. You have beat's word on it. :nice:

Coral_Pete_Fountain_Day_Front.jpg

laughingebony

MBTI Type
INTP
oh, this is a great thread. i love nothing more than jazz as background music while i'm sipping wine and cooking.

For me, background music has to be boring. If I put on anything interesting in the background, I'll get too caught up in listening to it. I completely immerse myself in everything I listen to. I make it a point not to listen to music while I'm driving; I have been known to be completely oblivious to red lights, stop signs, road boundaries, and other cars while I'm listening to music.

Fusion is my favorite sub-genre (of jazz) at the moment.

[YOUTUBE="j6JDGWiM1FQ"]Part 1[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="35_6jeo6Rt8"]Part 2[/YOUTUBE]

aphrodite-gone-awry said:
i like jazz for cookin' or chillin', but when i feel raucous or groovy, i like me some funk

[YOUTUBE="0Ur02sxxKAk"]Funk[/YOUTUBE]

:)

Last edited:

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
For me, background music has to be boring. If I put on anything interesting in the background, I'll get too caught up in listening to it. I completely immerse myself in everything I listen to.

Fusion is my favorite sub-genre at the moment.

:)

fusion. yeah. kinda like it. i'll have to wiki that. :smoke: