User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Thread: Jazz!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
    have you ever heard Coltrane's early stuff? he was very mellow in the mid 50's.
    No, I haven't. I will try to find some.

I stayed up till 2 am last night listening to jazz.

MBTI
    ISTx

[YOUTUBE="ipDtG8xV9_4"]Pete Fountain - Shine[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    XNXP

i think a lot of times jazz musicians are not really playing for other musicians, it just seems that way because they have reached such an incredible level of technical mastery. some of them become so skilled that they start to really experiment with music theory, and i think maybe that is not as approachable to the average listener.
    But some of them realize that it is not not very approachable and either use the new music theory accordingly, to bring them in regardless, in a way not done before, or..... they do not realize ( or care ) about this.
    well i am a huge fan of Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane. they are pretty different stylisticly. Coleman and Coltrane were only a couple of years difference in age, and actually Coleman's first avant garde experimentation with jazz was a few years before Coltrane was starting to experiment. Coleman is definitely not a parody of Coltrane, in fact a lot of people point to Ornette Coleman as being one of the first innovators in free jazz and avant garde jazz.
    Apparently this guy who I was reading on the subject ( assuming I even remember his words correctly ) was wrong. Thank you for correcting me on that.

It doesn't change my opinion about how "catchy" such music is, however. The video you provided of Ornette is indeed more accessible than the one you provided of Coltrane, but I didn't enjoy either one very much. Still, this may be a deficit in me, rather than the music, as I indicated in the post re: Stravinsky.

There was a guy named Don Cherry in Ornette's band IIRC, and it was fun to see him contribute to a loose rock tune by Lou Reed. It's a song more oriented to the vocals/lyrics, admittedly, with just a repetitive music structure, but the horn does seem expressive nevertheless.

YouTube - Lou Reed - All Through the Night

Sometimes musicians will come up with ways to make "advanced music theory" accessible anyway. Unusual time signatures are one basic aspect of innovation in music ( if not "music theory" ) and a song like "Take Five" by Brubeck made one such signature variation catchy, nevertheless.
    YouTube - The Dave Brubeck Quartet - Take Five (1961)

I can enjoy "out there" Jazz at times. Cecil Taylor is considered pretty far out even by free jazz standards, and I can enjoy him in varying doses ( sometimes small ones, I admit, depending on my mood ) at times. Why Cecil and not Coltrane's "Ascension" ? I'm not sure. Maybe the horn is a more raucous instrument than a piano ( played via keyboard ) or due to some other factor.

YouTube - Cecil Taylor

I'm not sure how one would categorize the music of Keith Jarrett, but it certainly goes well beyond the level of so-called "smooth jazz". Another great player I must be in the right mood for.

YouTube - Keith Jarrett - The Köln Concert (Part 1)?January 24, 1975
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    But some of them realize that it is not not very approachable and either use the new music theory accordingly, to bring them in regardless, in a way not done before, or..... they do not realize ( or care ) about this.
    i agree.
    i also think some musicians reach a level of technical mastery and are constantly surrounded by other excellent musicians, and they may simply forget how different their level of music appreciation is from the "ordinary" listener. but i don't think a very large number of musicians are like this.

It doesn't change my opinion about how "catchy" such music is, however. The video you provided of Ornette is indeed more accessible than the one you provided of Coltrane, but I didn't enjoy either one very much. Still, this may be a deficit in me, rather than the music, as I indicated in the post re: Stravinsky.
    i don't think it's a defeicit, just differing tastes. i think some people just find structure in music more or less neccesary and appealing.
    i agree that music like that is not catchy, just like The Rite of Spring is not catchy like Bolero is, or like Mendelssohn's Hebrides Overture.

MBTI
    INTJ

This guy seems to be quite talented...
    [YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JRKnO83P_E"]James Morrison trombone v trumpet[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTJ

Another of my personal favourites[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aePPKGxqOf8"]Brecker Brothers Some Skunk Funk[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

This is unbelievably beautiful.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4PKzz81m5c"]Chet Baker - Almost Blue[/YOUTUBE]

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

how do you feel about Art Blakey? he's a drum powerhouse! and a great bandleader.
    I love him! I think 'freight train' when I hear him. He was such a master of the intense and driving, yet restrained groove. Only someone of a confident and cool temperament can do that shit. And his time? Don't even get me started!

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

haha, nebbykoo - i am glad you appreciate the Blakey!
    he is one of my favorite drummers, for sure!
    it seems like sometimes he gets slighted by some of the "serious" jazz fans that i know. but what do they know?

BLAKEY!:

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

[YOUTUBE="KBSFSFrVlW4"]is that jazz?[/YOUTUBE]