User Tag List

First 23456 Last

Thread: Jazz!

MBTI
    INTJ

My favourite artist is Errol Garner. I love the way he plays whilst smiling at the audience. Here's one of him playing one of the songs he wrote, Misty:

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88b0DCEBLcU"]Errol Garner - Misty[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xLpLtkxuFw"]Errol Garner - Where or When[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTJ

As for drummers, what about Buddy Rich?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JbvAeDm000"]Buddy Rich - Preach and Teach[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INTP

Pat Metheny is a genius, and Shirley Horn was an awesome vocalist.

Others in my library include Jaco Pastorius, Bela Fleck, etc.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    Pat Metheny is a genius
    +1

He's such a great player and communicator. It's hard to beat him paired with Lyle Mays, too.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by kuranes View Post
    I never heard of Stuff Smith. I'll have to look him up. I love violin. Diz is someone with a big rep whose work I haven't heard that much of, but this is explained by my not being a big Bop appreciator, if I'm understanding the meaning of the term in all of its nuances. ( There is also what is known as "hard Bop". )
    Dizzy is a huge icon in bebop (bop), but you are right he is really strongly associated with bebop. hard bop is just a sub-genre of bebop. there are several sub-genres, and it is difficult sometimes to really distinguish them.
    Stuff Smith was a great violinist. he is criticized sometimes for playing too raw and loose, but other people praise the same elements of his style and say it is more intensity and emotion.
    he is probably an example of what you were talking about, musicians who play for their listeners rather than for other musicians.

i think a lot of times jazz musicians are not really playing for other musicians, it just seems that way because they have reached such an incredible level of technical mastery. some of them become so skilled that they start to really experiment with music theory, and i think maybe that is not as approachable to the average listener.
    but i think the vast majority of jazz musicians really just play for themselves, for the love of music.

I read somewhere that some of Ornette Coleman's work and initial inspiration could be considered to be a pastiche ( or perhaps parody ) of the later more "out there" work of John Coltrane. Coleman's work is where some choose to draw the line. Other people consider Ornette more "down to earth" because his "no rules" approach allows for more "freedom" and is not built around a dance with constraints the way most Jazz is.
    well i am a huge fan of Ornette Coleman and John Coltrane. they are pretty different stylisticly. Coleman and Coltrane were only a couple of years difference in age, and actually Coleman's first avant garde experimentation with jazz was a few years before Coltrane was starting to experiment. Coleman is definitely not a parody of Coltrane, in fact a lot of people point to Ornette Coleman as being one of the first innovators in free jazz and avant garde jazz.

here is a video of Ornette Coleman.
    this is an example of his avant garde jazz that is not completely "out there":

[YOUTUBE="c5Vb-I1wuqs"]ornette coleman[/YOUTUBE]

i really enjoy free jazz and avant garde jazz. it is hard for some people to enjoy it, and i think some people go into it with too many expectations or preconceived notions. but there is a flow to the music a lot of times that is engaging, and very different from classic "song structure" and very tightly composed songs. for me it is something i have to let myself fall into, and get carried along by it. it can really get interesting and start to take off when you have been listening to a long recording or live performance.

by the way, 'free jazz' is a style of jazz that is very experimental, and it's what most people picture when they think of modern and unconventional jazz. there is less clearly defined and more unconventional rythym in free jazz, and much less or no structure.

here is a classic example of free jazz, 'Ascension' by John Coltrane:
    (unfortunatly this video cuts off abruptly)

[YOUTUBE="JtEsuHuqNLo"]ascension[/YOUTUBE]

by the way, i still use the word 'hip' in a very 60s kind of way.
    if i call someone or something hip, that to me is a huge compliment. haha!

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

here he is, Rahsaan Roland Kirk, perennial badass:

[YOUTUBE="61qT-qTVWA8"]making love after hours[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I love jazz. Mingus is a little too deep for me, so I'm impressed that you're into him. I need to keep trying. I would hate to think he's beyond my capacity. Do you have a suggestion to ease me into it? (n/m, I'll go listen to what you've already posted )

Ron Carter -- if I could have anything in the world, it would be to make a living playing upright bass
    Dave Brubeck
    Brad Mehldau
    Stan Getz -- I know you know the Getz/Gilberto album
    Ella Fitzgerald
    Peggy Lee

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ed111 View Post
    As for drummers, what about Buddy Rich?

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1JbvAeDm000"]Buddy Rich - Preach and Teach[/YOUTUBE]
    Many Jazz drummers like to poo-poo Buddy as a cold, technical master with no soul. I like some of his playing, and there is no doubt that he was on a level by himself in many ways.
    I prefer Elvin Jones, Max Roach, Tony Williams and Joe Chambers. Those guys weren't as technical as Buddy, but they could swing ( Not That BR couldn't!). Elvin Was from another planet. Totally original genius.

MBTI
    INTP

When it comes to just chilling out, you can't beat stuff like this.
    Although I must admit this is not my favorite song.
    [YOUTUBE="RSdOFByCGx8"]Rick Braun[/YOUTUBE]

The weird stuff like John Coltrane and Pat Metheny is interesting, and good to listen to, but you can't really ignore it, you have to take a more active listening status to appreciate it. With the more mellow stuff you can turn your brain off, which is sometimes all you need.

Of course I am not huge into jazz so what do I know?
    All I know is that I prefer the more highly composed stuff.

[YOUTUBE="Ecz3ykm_TRU"]Pat Metheny[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

nebbykoo, i agree, i much prefer Elvin Jones to Buddy Rich. not to say Buddy isn't incredible, but Elvin really meshed amazingly well with a lot of groups. and Max Roach is great as well, i really like the albums he did with his M'boom group, and Drums Unlimited and Percussion Bitter Sweet are great albums as well.
    how do you feel about Art Blakey? he's a drum powerhouse! and a great bandleader.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    Mingus is a little too deep for me, so I'm impressed that you're into him. I need to keep trying. I would hate to think he's beyond my capacity.
    i don't know if it's a question of him being too deep. Mingus has a pretty specific and unique style of composition, his song structure is not something that appeals to everyone.

his album "Oh Yeah" is definitely not deep, it has songs with lyrics like "i wanna eat it, eat that chicken, i wanna chew it, eat that chicken pie!" it has a lot of Mingus just shouting and making random noises and vocalizations. it's a pretty great album, very energetic and fun!
    also he made an album called "Mingus Plays Piano: spontaneous compositions and improvisations" it is all Mingus playing piano solo. it gives a very interesting insight into how he plays and composes. it is a pretty approachable album, it is just piano so there is no bebop craziness.

Quote Originally Posted by rhinosaur View Post
    The weird stuff like John Coltrane and Pat Metheny is interesting, and good to listen to, but you can't really ignore it, you have to take a more active listening status to appreciate it. With the more mellow stuff you can turn your brain off, which is sometimes all you need.
    have you ever heard Coltrane's early stuff? he was very mellow in the mid 50's.