User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Rowing

MBTI
    SEXY

Default Rowing

Any of you into rowing? Or into the hot athletic men and women practising it? Tell me your stories.

[YOUTUBE="RLmXaZZMI-M"]Boatrace Part 1[/YOUTUBE]
    [YOUTUBE="LZ2Ctu-GAs0"]Boatrace Part 2[/YOUTUBE]

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

I am into rowing, but as a coxswain. The best word to describe the sport is pain. Rowers are assholes to coxswains (especially me), and rowers hurt a lot since they work incredibly hard and the oars rip their hands apart.

MBTI
    SEXY

You must've picked the wrong team then. Over at my rowing club one of the creeds is to "always listen to your coxswain". Sure I bitch at them sometimes for making me work my ass of, but always in a joking manner and I (and every other rower I know) greatly respect good coxswains realizing how important they are to the boat.

I once had to help on the loading/offloading platform at a competition match and the men's heavy 8 was coming in. 8 guys at an average of 90 kilo's. The coxswain, a girl that could've hardly weigh more then 55 kilo's got out, and with less then three orders, well within 10 seconds the men had gotten out of the boat, lifted the boat out of the water and had stored it back inside. It was the funniest thing to watch.

A log of Dutch rowing clubs even have the habit to, after a heat as the first thing they do when they get out the boat, count down and yell simultaneously: "Stuur, bedankt" (coxswain thanks).

I do agree with the ripped hands though. Mine are FUBAR, not even a gypsy lady could make sense of them any more.

Banned
    MBTI
    type
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFP

IT's an american high school club. Beside's they're the bad ESTP's, and I'm a total INTP. It's borderline war. I've been threatened three times with severe injuries from a certain rower who is an ESTP. I hate him hard enough to flip the boat over, just to drown him. He's only popular there because he hates me. AT school, he is a whiny jerk.

MBTI
    SEXY

Well why don't you go rowing somewhere else then? Or perhaps even another sport. Fuck them if they're mean to you.

MBTI
    CRZY
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by mortabunt View Post
    IT's an american high school club. Beside's they're the bad ESTP's, and I'm a total INTP. It's borderline war. I've been threatened three times with severe injuries from a certain rower who is an ESTP. I hate him hard enough to flip the boat over, just to drown him. He's only popular there because he hates me. AT school, he is a whiny jerk.
    do it

Terrible things happen to good people every day.
    Consequentially, I am not one of the good people.
    I am one of the terrible things.

Conclusion: Dinosaurs

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

I used to be a coxswain in college.... It was only a semester, but I really enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I had a super busy schedule, so I couldn't continue. Also, although I was told I steered good courses, I don't think motivating is my strong point. Haha.. I never knew what to say. I was like "Uh.... Come on... guys... you can do it!"

ISTPs= not the best motivators ever.

Oh, and it doesn't help that I'm distracted easily: "Oooh... a goose."

Regardless, it's a great sport to get into. Even I was only involved for short while, I learned a lot.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I rowed in high school (usually quads, sometimes an 8).

I loved chasing after the sun while it was rising at 5:30, I loved how great my back muscles etc. looked, but at some point rowing has to become your life if you want to take it seriously, and it wasn't important enough for me to do that to keep at it.

I'm thankful for my pretty piano hands rather than my gnarled-at-the-time rowing hands.

Edit: I recommend road cycling for any rowers who want to find a similaresque sport but don't want the huge commitment of team rowing and working your life around times on the water. It's also way friendly on body parts.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    TRUE

Years ago I spent summers aboard a boat anchored out from a rowing club and since there were several nights when I was able to scare off vandals with the spotlight, the club made me an honorary member. They allowed me to take out the singles anytime, occasionally fill-in on the fours, or act as coxswain for the eights when they were shorthanded. Crewing was interesting, but always preferred being out there alone.
    Naked to unknown forces, fortune evades mere understanding. The trial of effort.
    The dream of change. Such a place might Hell be to thought and action.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

I did rowing for a bit with friends in high school this year, and I'm not a physically strong person, but that sport tones you, honestly. We'd run three miles before even going out on the water, and then once I started the rowing, my poor hands got so scratched up and blistered...and they're usually soft artist hands! But it was so good for my body, and the people were so wonderful, I enjoyed all the hard work. Oh, and the tan I got subsequently was nice, too.

I was tiny enough to be a coxswain, but certainly lacked assertiveness and knowledge on the subject, so I mostly rowed in an 8 or with three other girls. And I can't imagine anyone ignoring the coxswain, cuz those guys are fierce!

And for laughs: Somerville College Rowing Humor I was totally a three.
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)