User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 38

  1. #21
    Emerging Tallulah's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    6,028

    Default

    Those VH-1 lists are always lame--they always tend to weight in favor of who's popular right this minute, when they're supposed to be "of all time." I noticed that with the rock lists, too.
    Something Witty

  2. #22
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Those VH-1 lists are always lame--they always tend to weight in favor of who's popular right this minute, when they're supposed to be "of all time." I noticed that with the rock lists, too.
    Yup.

    They should have stuck with Pop Up Video. At least that wasn't made of F4IL. Every time I bother to watch one of their countdown specials I end up arguing with the t.v.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  3. #23
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Those VH-1 lists are always lame--they always tend to weight in favor of who's popular right this minute, when they're supposed to be "of all time." I noticed that with the rock lists, too.

    I think they actually did a pretty good job of avoiding putting too much new stuff on there (the majority is from 1986-1994), I just have a problem with what they DID pick.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  4. #24
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Ugh, "Hot in Herre" at #30? I could see "Country Grammar" or "Ride Wit Me" making 80-100, but that song isn't even that great, and it's ahead of songs a hundred times better.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  5. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Agreed. that list is bullshit. Heavy D. and PM Dawn? really????
    I LOVE that PM Dawn album. But I don't think it's hip hop. I don't know what it is, except cool.

    Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    Well, considering that "In da Club" is higher than even B.O.B., I can't hold too much hope for the sensibleness of the list.
    TOTALLY. "B.O.B." is my favorite Outkast song.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    And 99 Problems is a WAY better song than Hard Knock Life...
    By far.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  6. #26
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I LOVE that PM Dawn album. But I don't think it's hip hop. I don't know what it is, except cool.
    It's an R&B/hip-hop crossover, but it certainly counts. If "U Can't Touch This" is on the list, then PM Dawn should be. They actually had a couple of other good songs, too. Remember "Downtown Venus" from '95? I fucking love that song.

    YouTube - Downtown Venus P.M.Dawn


    Deep Purple sample, positivity, mid-'80s Prince psychedelia vibe. Should have been a much bigger hit.


    TOTALLY. "B.O.B." is my favorite Outkast song.
    I think I'd lean toward "ATLiens," but "B.O.B." was bonkers. Stankonia, Marshall Mathers LP, and Common's Like Water for Chocolate made 2000 one of the best hip-hop years of my conscious life.


    By far.
    Great track, but not his best, IMHO. Best rock/rap crossover for Jigga (and just about anyone), though.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  7. #27

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Great track, but not his best, IMHO. Best rock/rap crossover for Jigga (and just about anyone), though.
    I would nominate "Sabotage" for that, with the caveat that some might call it straight-up rock and I can't mount a compelling argument against that.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

    Johari
    /Nohari

  8. #28
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I would nominate "Sabotage" for that, with the caveat that some might call it straight-up rock and I can't mount a compelling argument against that.
    I love that song, but the Beasties had several better tunes, so it's never the first I spin. I just put "High Plains Drifter" on a mix CD. THAT is badass.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  9. #29
    half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp
    Posts
    6,387

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post

    I think I'd lean toward "ATLiens," but "B.O.B." was bonkers. Stankonia, Marshall Mathers LP, and Common's Like Water for Chocolate made 2000 one of the best hip-hop years of my conscious life.
    94-95 was my golden era (after the 80s in general). 94-95 had Raekwon, Lost Boyz, 2Pac, Jurassic 5, ODB, LL Cool J, Mobb Deep, Das Efx, Keith Murray, The Alkaholics, Outkast, Jay Z, O.C, Jeru, Tribe, The Roots etc... people really brought it that year, imo.

  10. #30
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    94-95 was my golden era (after the 80s in general). 94-95 had Raekwon, Lost Boyz, 2Pac, Jurassic 5, ODB, LL Cool J, Mobb Deep, Das Efx, Keith Murray, The Alkaholics, Outkast, Jay Z, O.C, Jeru, Tribe, The Roots etc... people really brought it that year, imo.
    Your timeline is a little off, though. Jurassic 5's debut EP didn't come out until '97, Reasonable Doubt didn't come out until '96, Tribe didn't put out an album in 1994-95, Lost Boyz' debut came out in '96 (but they had a single or two in '95).
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

Similar Threads

  1. Pop R&B / hip-hop music
    By FunnyDigestion in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 09-05-2012, 01:40 AM
  2. Why do people adopt Rap/R&B/Hip-Hop Culture?
    By Little_Sticks in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 45
    Last Post: 07-20-2012, 07:32 PM
  3. The Rap/Hip Hop Appreciation Thread
    By RiderOnTheStorm in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 219
    Last Post: 11-19-2010, 05:36 PM
  4. this is what hip hop is truly about
    By INTP in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 05:32 PM
  5. Hip Hop Violin!!!
    By Jonny in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-15-2010, 01:26 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO