User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Those VH-1 lists are always lame--they always tend to weight in favor of who's popular right this minute, when they're supposed to be "of all time." I noticed that with the rock lists, too.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Those VH-1 lists are always lame--they always tend to weight in favor of who's popular right this minute, when they're supposed to be "of all time." I noticed that with the rock lists, too.
    Yup.

They should have stuck with Pop Up Video. At least that wasn't made of F4IL. Every time I bother to watch one of their countdown specials I end up arguing with the t.v.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post

I think they actually did a pretty good job of avoiding putting too much new stuff on there (the majority is from 1986-1994), I just have a problem with what they DID pick.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ESFJ

Ugh, "Hot in Herre" at #30? I could see "Country Grammar" or "Ride Wit Me" making 80-100, but that song isn't even that great, and it's ahead of songs a hundred times better.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    Agreed. that list is bullshit. Heavy D. and PM Dawn? really????
    I LOVE that PM Dawn album. But I don't think it's hip hop. I don't know what it is, except cool.

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    Well, considering that "In da Club" is higher than even B.O.B., I can't hold too much hope for the sensibleness of the list.
    TOTALLY. "B.O.B." is my favorite Outkast song.

Quote Originally Posted by Rajah View Post
    And 99 Problems is a WAY better song than Hard Knock Life...
    By far.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I LOVE that PM Dawn album. But I don't think it's hip hop. I don't know what it is, except cool.
    It's an R&B/hip-hop crossover, but it certainly counts. If "U Can't Touch This" is on the list, then PM Dawn should be. They actually had a couple of other good songs, too. Remember "Downtown Venus" from '95? I fucking love that song.

YouTube - Downtown Venus P.M.Dawn

Deep Purple sample, positivity, mid-'80s Prince psychedelia vibe. Should have been a much bigger hit.

TOTALLY. "B.O.B." is my favorite Outkast song.
    I think I'd lean toward "ATLiens," but "B.O.B." was bonkers. Stankonia, Marshall Mathers LP, and Common's Like Water for Chocolate made 2000 one of the best hip-hop years of my conscious life.

By far.
    Great track, but not his best, IMHO. Best rock/rap crossover for Jigga (and just about anyone), though.

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    Great track, but not his best, IMHO. Best rock/rap crossover for Jigga (and just about anyone), though.
    I would nominate "Sabotage" for that, with the caveat that some might call it straight-up rock and I can't mount a compelling argument against that.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I would nominate "Sabotage" for that, with the caveat that some might call it straight-up rock and I can't mount a compelling argument against that.
    I love that song, but the Beasties had several better tunes, so it's never the first I spin. I just put "High Plains Drifter" on a mix CD. THAT is badass.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post

I think I'd lean toward "ATLiens," but "B.O.B." was bonkers. Stankonia, Marshall Mathers LP, and Common's Like Water for Chocolate made 2000 one of the best hip-hop years of my conscious life.
    94-95 was my golden era (after the 80s in general). 94-95 had Raekwon, Lost Boyz, 2Pac, Jurassic 5, ODB, LL Cool J, Mobb Deep, Das Efx, Keith Murray, The Alkaholics, Outkast, Jay Z, O.C, Jeru, Tribe, The Roots etc... people really brought it that year, imo.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    94-95 was my golden era (after the 80s in general). 94-95 had Raekwon, Lost Boyz, 2Pac, Jurassic 5, ODB, LL Cool J, Mobb Deep, Das Efx, Keith Murray, The Alkaholics, Outkast, Jay Z, O.C, Jeru, Tribe, The Roots etc... people really brought it that year, imo.
    Your timeline is a little off, though. Jurassic 5's debut EP didn't come out until '97, Reasonable Doubt didn't come out until '96, Tribe didn't put out an album in 1994-95, Lost Boyz' debut came out in '96 (but they had a single or two in '95).