• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Whale Wars?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Has anyone here watched Animal Planet's "Whale Wars" program? I just watched part of an episode today, and I found that I was a bit appalled by the fact that these people think that they can do whatever they want regardless of whether they are legally in the right (the issue is legally controversial, but it's not a fact that the Japanese whalers were illegally taking whales, so how can these people go out and act like they have some sort of authority?). They are basically eco-terrorists, and they are foolishly (and without preparation, I might add) getting themselves into potentially harmful situations. What do you guys think? Are these guys naive idiots? Or are they as righteous as they believe themselves to be?

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
Watching it now. These people are a little misguided. The money that was spent for that ship (not to mention the fuel) could have been used in a lot better ways. I feel that extremists like this put such a bad spin on their cause that it makes a lot of people fall deaf to what it is that they would like to achieve. I am all for the ethical treatment of animals but PETA's recent attempt to rename fish as "sea-kittens" just seems so bizarre to me and has totally turned me off of wanting to support them.

Last edited:

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Has anyone here watched Animal Planet's "Whale Wars" program? I just watched part of an episode today, and I found that I was a bit appalled by the fact that these people think that they can do whatever they want regardless of whether they are legally in the right (the issue is legally controversial, but it's not a fact that the Japanese whalers were illegally taking whales, so how can these people go out and act like they have some sort of authority?). They are basically eco-terrorists, and they are foolishly (and without preparation, I might add) getting themselves into potentially harmful situations. What do you guys think? Are these guys naive idiots? Or are they as righteous as they believe themselves to be?

Naive fools that seem to want to go out and play pretend as pirates. I've watched a couple of episodes and I agree that they do not prepare themselves for what they wish to do nor do they seem to have a solid understanding of how to get out of every possible situation. They "wing it" in the most dangerous way.

I don't think harrassing ships they believe to be whaling ships is the correct approach. I think it's radical, makes potentially incorrect assumptions, and is not very effective. Harrassing Japanese vessels is not really going to do much to help Japanese corporations and culture see that whaling is not a good thing to be doing right now. It's going to make these people loathe "Western" people and their philosophies and perceived self-righteousness all the more, which does not facilitate the kind of change the folks on the Sea Shepherd desire.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
Things like this make many animal movements just seem assbackwards. I find it amusing that these culturally ignorant fools think that the Japanese should/would/could have the same values and ethics we do. The Japanese have lived off of whale and whale products for centuries - what do you expect them to fucking do? Less than 10% of the land of Japan is irrigatible so the Japanese LIVE off of what they get from the sea, and its ALREADY OVERFISHED!!

Occaisonally, Mongolians eat horse. do you know why? CUZ SOMETIMES THEY HAVE NOTHING ELSE TO FUCKING EAT. They're poor as fuck too, so don't say "OH THEY CAN JUST GO EAT TOFU"

I don't care what your favorite animal is, a human being always comes before an animal, especially if its a big fat fucker like a whale that'll provide for thousands of meals. I hope these Jackasses piss off the wrong people and spend a lot of time in Japanese prison surrounded by disgruntled ISTJ Guards that feed their families with whale meat.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I think there's a warrant out for their arrest in Japan for some maritime law violation, actually (as a result of the incident with the Japanese ship they were harassing). And Kyrielle, those are my thoughts exactly.

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
They simply got a little too into the movie Free Willy.

I wonder if they watch it as part of their pre-battle pep talk?

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'd do it.

-----

Punishment

I can feel the tug
of the halter at the nape
of her neck, the wind
on her naked front.

It blows her nipples
to amber beads,
it shakes the frail rigging
of her ribs.

I can see her drowned
body in the bog,
the weighing stone,
the floating rods and boughs.

Under which at first
she was a barked sapling
that is dug up
oak-bone, brain-firkin:

her shaved head
like a stubble of black corn,
her blindfold a soiled bandage,
her noose a ring

to store
the memories of love.
Little adultress,
before they punished you

you were flaxen-haired,
undernourished, and your
tar-black face was beautiful.
My poor scapegoat,

I almost love you
but would have cast, I know,
the stones of silence.
I am the artful voyeur

of your brain's exposed
and darkened combs,
your muscles' webbing
and all your numbered bones:

I who have stood dumb
when your betraying sisters,
cauled in tar,
wept by the railings,

who would connive
in civilized outrage
yet understand the exact
and tribal, intimate revenge.

~Seamus Heaney

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
When I saw the previews for this I kept wondering under what authority they were acting under.

It looks like it's being led by the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society and they claim to be guided by the United Nations World Charter for Nature and "other statutory laws protecting marine species and environments".