User Tag List

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Default Compulsive Repetition

Do any of you repeat a song you like 10 times in a row or something like that? Or watch a movie you like about 20 times (not in a row, of course)?

I tend to do stuff like that, I was just curious if others are like that as well.

If so, under what circumstances, with what medium, what, and why?

(Oh yes, and after reading nightning's post, I realize I do this with books as well, though less frequently. I remember something better if I read it than if I watch it. It might have something to do with Si being stronger than Se with me...)
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

ish red no longer *sad* nightning's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj

Repeatedly playing a song over and over - I do that frequently. Not exactly a stress related thing though. I just do it whenever. I tend tune out the music until it's just a soothing background white noise.

Re-reading a novel - Yes, if it's any good. It's like re-living the experience. Probably my lack of Si. I'll remember the general plot but it's pretty much a fresh read every time

Re-watching movie - Not really, once or twice if I'm watching it with somebody else but certainly not 20+ times
    My stuff (design & other junk) lives here: http://nnbox.ca

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I am definitely that way with songs/albums. I used to be that way with movies, but they cost too much now to do it. I remember seeing the first Ninja Turtles movie 14 times in the movie theater. I never got bored of it.

Now, I pretty much find a few songs/albums that I like and they will stay on constant repeat on my iPod for a month or two (this month it's PJ Harvey and Fluke).

Phantonym

Do I ever. I can listen to one song for hours. I might not even notice the song playing but it could definitely last for hours. It's mostly the emotion I get from the song, that's what matters.

Movies - if I really like a movie, or certain scenes in it or the emotion I get from it, then yes, I'll watch it over and over again.

And don't even get me started about books...

MBTI
    INTP

Just as an aside: at quick glance I thought this was titled repulsive competition, heh.

Anyway, on topic, yeah I've been listening to various albums by the same band for about a month now.

Then it gets to a point where I'm sick of listening to the same thing and won't listen to it for a year or so... while obsessing about some other artist/song.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

Sniffles

Yes I do it quite often.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Wilson View Post
    Just as an aside: at quick glance I thought this was titled repulsive competition, heh.

Anyway, on topic, yeah I've been listening to various albums by the same band for about a month now.

Then it gets to a point where I'm sick of listening to the same thing and won't listen to it for a year or so... while obsessing about some other artist/song.
    Oh yeahhhh!!! I'll do that too, totally!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

When I find a new song I really really like, I'll listen to it a lot, repeat it of course. I don't do it with movies, I don't think, unless it's a really good movie, the ones I see in theaters. I don't know why I do it, I think I go through frequent and small phases.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Do any of you repeat a song you like 10 times in a row or something like that? Or watch a movie you like about 20 times (not in a row, of course)?

I tend to do stuff like that, I was just curious if others are like that as well.
    Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.