• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Digital Photography Class

Scarfism

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
I have recently signed up for a basic digital photography class and was wondering if anyone has taken anything similar? If yes, what type of camera would be sufficient? Does it need to be anything fancy? I know each course probably has different requirements but I thought it would be good to get a general idea. I did contact the course coordinator but waiting for them to get back to me.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
get a nikon d40 w/the 18-200mm VR lens. You want an SLR camera, not a point and shoot, and this is very light and good for beginners. It takes excellent photos. The 18-200 is all you need for most situations.

But if you have a limited budget, get any body - doesn't matter. Spend the $$ on your lenses.

or you can get the nikon kit with the 18-55, but longer lenses are better in portraits. B&H Photo was selling a nikon kit with the 18-55 and a 55-200 VR w/ the d40 body for like $500, which is amazing.

You can also get a canon rebel, but I am a nikon fan. It doesn't matter which brand you get, they are both solid - but you will end up sticking with one brand your whole life because the lenses are not interchangeable between them. Also, you get familiar with the terminology for each brand.

What type of photography are you interested in? I can help you choose lenses if I understand more what your goal is...

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
wait until the first class and they'll tell you. you can spend a lot on a camera without necessarily needing to; depends what you want out of it.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
no good instructor will tell you what camera to buy.
the camera is for you, not for the class...

ergophobe

Allergic to Mornings
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
I agree with Jeno - the D40 is likely sufficient in most cases. The D40, I was told by a camera store owner yesterday is being phased out in a couple months - so it will only get cheaper. You may want to wait a bit if you can.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
This is why the kit is so cheap at B&H...
Don't get talked into buying the D40x. Seriously.

Also I suggest an external flash: nikon SB-400

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
let me rephrase... The instructor will be able to tell you what minimum things you'll need to complete the class. You might think you need a lot more than you actually do for the class, or vice versa. And yes, of course you may want a better camera for your own personal use than is necessarily needed for the class. That depends on your needs/budget.

obviously (hopefully?) you wouldn't go out and buy the first camera the instructor tells you to buy, or the first camera someone on the internet tells you to buy, without doing some research of your own.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
a camera is a camera. it's not the car that matters, it's the driver.

get whatever SLR you can afford and spend the money on the lenses. the only differences you need to worry about in the camera body is the iso and the shutter speed. the nikon d40 is the best prosumer you can get (besides the canon rebel) for under $800.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
My mom has an old Nikon D70 and it's working out pretty well for her casual photography. One thing she complains about it is the weight. It's a tad heavy. A D40's smaller and lighter. :)

About external flash, you can probably hold off on that for now. The build-in one for the D70 is fine for most automatic shooting. A decent flash is bulky and heavy. Actually most of the time you'd turn off flash and just increase aperture and exposure time for low light. Flash tends to make the picture look unnatural.

It's probably a good idea to attend the first class and hear what the instructor has to say before you go off to shop for a camera. Also head to a large camera shop and really test out the different brands and models before you buy one.

This was what I noticed 5? years ago looking at the different brands of SLRs

Sony alpha
- can use old Minolta lens (if you got any)
- shot stabilizer built-in to body (other brands have them on selected lens, therefore can get pricey)
- default color balance/shadow setting is very sharp (i.e. BRIGHT, can look a tad unnatural unless manually adjusted)

Nikon
- old reliable brand, can reuse old non-digital Nikon lens (although they mostly become tele-lens)
- shot stabilizer avaliable only by purchasing special lens. (Very useful for taking pictures indoor without a tripod. Frankly who wants to lug one around?)
- Color I personally believe is the most natural with default settings
- rapid burst shot shooting (for D70) is alright. (of course that's 5? years ago... technology improves)

Canon Rebel
- Also another reliable brand, first consumer digital SLR to enter the market I think.
- burst shooting on the Rebel is very very fast for the first 30s? (again, I'm referring to the old one)
- color balance wise, I'll put it in between Nikon and Sony. (It's a personal preference thing how vibrant you want your photos compared to naturalness)
- easy to use turn dial menu system (although most companies have copied Canon's design so there's not much difference nowadays)

Edit:
You should talk to Geoff. He takes gorgeous photos :yes:
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...geoff-s-pictures-new-england-water-study.html

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Good advice Nightning.

The solid D70 and D70s have been taken off the market and replaced with the D80, which is a piece of crap. For a little bit more you can get the d200 (excellent) or get a few d40s. Whatever...

Like I said, lenses/flash/etc depends on what you are interested in shooting...

Scarfism

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
Wow, looks like I came to the right place to get information. :) Thanks for your responses, it is all very helpful!

In terms of what type of photography I'm interested in, I would say I'm interested in landscapes, close-ups, black and white, fine art. Which camera would you say is the most versatile (of the Nikons and Canons suggested in this thread)?

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Wow, looks like I came to the right place to get information. :) Thanks for your responses, it is all very helpful!

In terms of what type of photography I'm interested in, I would say I'm interested in landscapes, close-ups, black and white, fine art. Which camera would you say is the most versatile (of the Nikons and Canons suggested in this thread)?

You do realize that this is a very broad range? lol.

Why don't you start by telling your budget...

Scarfism

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
Is it a broad range? hahaha Landscapes and close-ups if I really had to choose then. :)

Budget...no more than $600.

nightning

ish red no longer *sad*
MBTI Type
INfj
It's mainly the lens that determines suitability for different types of photographs. Landscapes are best taken with a wide-angle lens (expensive stuff :mellow:) Close-up? You mean macro? Wide-angle again for the most part. If you want versatility with a single lens though, get a 18-200. No fun carrying around an extra bulky lens... changing lens are also a hassle. Rather easy to get dust inside if you're changing it outdoors.

Nikon and Canon are pretty much on par. I believe it's mostly a preference thing between the two. At a $600 budget though... you might want to consider other brands because these two are "pricier" than lesser known ones... like Olympus.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Is it a broad range? hahaha Landscapes and close-ups if I really had to choose then. :)

For $649 (with instant online rebate and free shipping), I suggest this kit:
Nikon | D40 SLR Digital Camera Kit with 18-55mm AF-S DX &

Nikon D40 body
18-55mm AF-S lens (auto focus, with motor in the lens)
55-200mm VR lens (vibration reduction)

I own a lot of cameras in higher price ranges, but I find myself grabbing my simple d40 more than any other camera. First, it's extremely light weight and when walking around all day, it matters. When traveling, it matters. I'm very sad that they are phasing this camera out. I love it. Get it now before it's gone. And I don't own stock in Nikon, btw.

If you can afford to scrap the 2 lenses and get the 18-200mm lens, you should do that, but it's pricier. The 2 lenses are plastic lenses and they are very light, while the 18-200 is a bit heavier but it's all you need (but that lens alone is about $600). But the weight of it negates the lightweight of the d40.

If you just get the kit with the body and 18-55 lens for $450, that's ok and you can add more lenses later. But for me, I think longer lenses are so much better for portraits. I think you'd regret it if you didn't just get the kit with the longer lens. You'll probably use the longer one more often.

When buying the 55-200mm, make sure you pay the extra $50 and get the VR version. The longer the lens, the more susceptible to camera shake when not using a tripod. And tripods are for suckers. Hahaha, just kidding, but with digital, tripods are rarely needed anymore unless using a telephoto or crazy slow shutter speed or shooting mostly night shots. Monopods are better for anchoring, or just get yourself one of these bad boys:
Joby | Gorillapod SLR Flexible Mini-Tripod | GP201P | B&H Photo

Don't waste your money with a camera bag or other silly accessories that scream: mug me. Don't bother with the big yellow camera strap that comes with it either. Get one that's less conspicuous and more comfortable. I like this one for lighter cameras like the d40:
Tamrac | N-25 Neoprene Quick Release Strap (Black) | N2501 | B&H

Don't be an idiot and dangle the camera from your neck. Always sling it around your neck and shoulder - less stress on your neck and you can run with your camera without it hitting you in the face. For the love of all things holy, don't use a back pack either. You can't shoot if you have to stop and dig for your camera. Get a UV filter for your lens - they screw on to the end and protect your baby from rays outside and also from scratching (I never keep a lens cap on - too much fumbling). I like Tiffen filters the best, but you can get Hoya or whatever. Your lenses are size 52mm, so make sure you buy that size when getting filters.
Tiffen | 52mm UV Protector Glass Filter | 52UVP | B&H Photo

I think that's about it for now. Let me know if anything isn't clear to you. And let me know what you end up getting. Happy shooting!!

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP

Canon 1000D with the 18-55 IS kit lens. Should just come in at that price if you shop around. My father bought one recently and I'm impressed. Entry level? Don't you believe it!

Personally, I'd add a circular polariser and a tripod.

Edit : This site is good for reviews and sample photos Steve's Digicams - Main Menu

Edit2 : Nightning, that's quite the thread resurrection of my photos, thanks :D

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Canon 1000D with the 18-55 IS kit lens. Should just come in at that price if you shop around. My father bought one recently and I'm impressed. Entry level? Don't you believe it!

Personally, I'd add a circular polariser and a tripod.

This is also a very good camera (it's called the Canon EOS Rebel XS here in the States).

I haven't run a test of all the lenses for Canon, but I find them to have significantly more lens creep than Nikon lenses (if you are shooting straight down, the lens ring slowly moves, putting you out of focus).

I only use polarizers when shooting through glass, but it's good to have if you are taking photos of water (cuts the reflection) - just don't use it at the same time as your UV filter because you will see ghosts.

The Canon has more megapixels than the d40, but that doesn't matter. Megapixels don't matter.

The d40 kit seems cheaper than the Canon with the one lens, but test them out at a store before buying and get whichever one you like better.

I tend to stick with Nikon, because I have so many more lenses for Nikon, I like the grip better and I like the colors better. The images just look better to me side by side. But these days, you can photoshop anything if you are not happy.

Either way, good luck.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
They all suck (no offense to you, of course). The 3rd one would be ok, but the 55-200 lens doesn't have the VR (vibration reduction). The link I sent you before is the best of all these deals. The B&H store is run by orthodox jews who will not accept orders, not even online, during sabbath. After sunset today EST, you will be able to order online from there.

Good luck.

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Not commenting on the price (as I'm in the UK!) but the Canon with the two IS lenses.. the 18-55IS and 55-250IS are pretty good lenses. They aren't up to the quality of L glass, but they are affordable and light.

Happy to post some examples taken with the 55-250IS (and generally with a Canon Rebel and good L glass, if interested).