• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Digital Photography Class

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I said that package sucked but just on price alone compared to the Nikon package of relatively the same mm, but if you can afford it, this is a great option. Canon and Nikon are equally great.

Geoff: I would love to see some of the images shot with this, if you don't mind posting some. I love photos. *sigh*. I can also post stuff if you like. (is there a photography thread here?)

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
The advantage of both lenses is them having image stablisation.. it's worth up to 4 stops.. although typically I'm finding it worth 2-3 (or none, somewhat randomly :D ). It's not L glass.. but it's cheaper and light.. a great walk around.

3297567603_83167df69d_b.jpg

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah, the IS in the Canon is the VR in the Nikon. I wish they would all just use the same terminology...

beautiful image, Geoff! (did you use a polarizer?)

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
some silly stuff... d40.

Last edited:

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
Yeah, the IS in the Canon is the VR in the Nikon. I wish they would all just use the same terminology...

beautiful image, Geoff! (did you use a polarizer?)

Nope, just a UV filter. Polariser is too tough on available light for a zoom lens.

Here's a polariser on the L glass (17-40) lens.

(bear in mind these are downgraded jpg's at a smaller size)

590167551_66a92219b6_b.jpg

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
:cheese:

By adjusting the white balance...

Jesse Jackson was not pleased that I was taking his photo. What a death stare, huh?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
:cheese:

By adjusting the white balance...

Jesse Jackson was not pleased that I was taking his photo. What a death stare, huh?

Tripod.. slow exposure... then change the white balance so the yellowy white becomes green?

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
yes!!! I love that you know that. We must talk some more...

Here's one done with a 15 second exposure in low light and a tripod (obviously). the slow exposure water pictures are kind of my "thing"

2374170107_dd28e42693_b.jpg

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm in love with that one, Geoff. I don't take a lot of nature photography because I rarely get out into nature. But when I do, it's the ones like this that get me.

Scarfism

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
I'm am deciding between the Canon Rebel XS and XSi. Which do you think is the better option? I am leaning towards the XSi...

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I'm am deciding between the Canon Rebel XS and XSi. Which do you think is the better option? I am leaning towards the XSi...

XTI is cheaper than XSI and same thing, Megapixels have very little baring on photo quality.

tenINsFJ

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
1w9
I wanted to add a slow(er) shutter speed shot... this is from my first day of trying to do the silky water. The lighting got too bright so I couldn't get it open for a long time. Anywho, here is my handheld shot, lol.

20081122_0644.jpg

These below are with the XTI and the 18-55mm kit lens it came with..
Trail.jpg

reflections.jpg

im pretty sure the last one was unedited if i remember right

Scarfism

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
8w9
I ended up getting the Canon Rebel XS with 18-55mm lens. I got it for $484. Liking it a lot. There is so much that can be done with it.

jenocyde

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
nice!! post some pics once you get comfortable with it...