• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Bizarre/obscure movies from childhood...

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What's the earliest film you recall watching that wasn't some well-known Disney/WB/etc movie?

For the longest time I wasn't sure if this movie ever even really existed, it was some sort of dreamlike memory for me. A 3yr old's very favorite movie.

I found it. Full-length.

And I think it's creepy as hell now.

..but I'm pretty sure I still love it.

[YOUTUBE="1OWdw1IwdYY"]The Mouse & His Child[/YOUTUBE]

The quest to be self-winding..

Anyway, share your bizarre childhood movies!
[and please, someone tell me if they ever saw this one!]

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
peanut-butter-solution-poster.jpg

Return to Oz... A truly disturbing "family" film.
Return-to-Oz----wheelers2.jpg

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
There were some weird cartoons, but I haven't been able to find them. Some of that stuff from the late 50's and early 60's appears to be lost.

Halla74

Artisan Conquerer
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I saw "The Exorcist" at age 6, followed soon after by "The Howling."

:whistling:

My favorite kid movie was "Darby O'Gill and the Little People."

:D

Synarch

Once Was
MBTI Type
ENTP
The Red Balloon. Stick through to the end. This one made me cry when I was a little boy.

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vm33ycVZ_r4&feature=related"]The Red Balloon - Part 1/4[/YOUTUBE]

juggernaut

Permabanned
Charly (from the book Flowers for Algernon).

It's a pretty cool movie, but it was kind of heavy at age 5.

Wade Wilson

MBTI Type
INTP
Not bizarre by any means but I've never met anyone else who has seen The Snowman. :huh:

Though I suppose that doesn't necessarily make it obscure, either. It just means I was a shut-in even as a child. :yes:

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I don't know if it's obscure or not but the evil flute in this freaked me out, actually the whole thing was somewhat creepy!

hr+puff.jpg

kuranes

MBTI Type
XNXP
I wasn't that young when I saw "5000 Fingers of Dr. T", but it seemed a tiny bit weird for a "family" movie at a couple points.

I sought out weird stuff as a little kid, but ( looking back ) the stories that I liked weren't really all that strange, just pulpey.

I watched "Clutch Cargo" cartoons in the early 60's, where the characters' lips were made to move more realistically than the rest of their bodies.

They might pursue an invisible monster etc. in Clutch Cargo, but it was basically just an early version of "Johnny Quest". Race Banner looked vaguely like Doc Savage, and his voice sounded kinda like the original Space Ghost.

"Astro Boy" was made by the same people who later did "Speed Racer". That seemed a little weird, at the time, since I had never seen Japanese animation and humor before.

"Space Angel" reminded me of Sgt. Fury/Nick Fury with his burly Irish helper "Dum Dum" Dugan. The burly guy was called "Taurus the Bull" in Space Angel. Unlike Sgt. Fury it was set in outer space, as a change-up to Flash Gordon.

"The Mighty Hercules" was a cartoon about a hero who depended on something to energize him, just as Popeye depended on spinach. Hercules had a ring that could "power up."

In addition to such heroes, there were also damsels in distress and villains. Very little that was weird, though, as I look back.

"Beany and Cecil" and "Spunky and Tadpole" were two other cartoons from early days.

There was an old show that used real actors and actresses in it, about a knight called Sir Crustabread. That one goes so far back I can hardly even remember it. "Sgt. Preston of the Yukon Patrol" was another that used real actors.

Because of such shows, I was fascinated with phenomena like quicksand and haunted houses. I looked around my neighborhood for such, since I had heard that they existed but weren't in plentiful supply. When a character got temporarily frozen in plaster or cement, and was later rescued by being "broken out", I became fascinated by cement; and was seeing my old favorite Greek mythology character Medusa ( loved that snake hair ) again, as the company mascot for one cement company.

The weird cartoons I mentioned earlier had characters and scenery that would morph from one thing into another, and another had especially sinister cowboy villains. There was one about a guy with a horse ( or "horse fly" ? ) that had adventures in a head of hair, each hair being like a tree in a forest. There was a particularly ugly, scary old hag in it, too, as I remember; though she was portrayed as being comical.

I was able to track down one old cartoon I liked as being named "Mr. Hoppity Goes to Town", and I will get it one of these days.