User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Movies v. Books

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Default Movies v. Books

As a child I used to read tons and tons of books; now I watch more movies. I think this is because I have to do a lot of reading for my job, but I'm not sure. Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon?

Of course, I still read books. When I was younger, however, I always had my head stuck in a book. It made me wonder if education killed my love of reading or if I'm changing, or what the deal is....

Has this happened to anyone else, and if so, why?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    yupp

I read a ton of books up until highschool when they began making us read all the fracking time. Now I'm getting back into reading, though i still watch alot of movies except during the school year when i'm reading stuff for school. But once school is out or on breaks I read for my enjoyment. So for me the more I have to read the less I actually read. But if I had all the time in the world it probably be me alternating between watching movies and reading and writing.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTP

I've sort of noticed this too. I usually read on the commute to/from work and afterwards if I'm really engrossed or close to the end of the book but lately I've been watching anime on my commute. However, this goes in cycles. I'll buy a stack of books and read them all then take a break and repeat several months later.

At home, I really don't read as much as I used to but I have my TV on all the time.

I think because with TV I can just flip around and find something interesting. Books usually require me to do some research on what I want to read or I have to wait for a whim.
    I know a girl, she's one of a kind
    But the poor little thing, she's going out of her mind
    There's something you forgot - there's a reason why she's lost
    Cos baby she don't want to be found

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I read a ton of books up until highschool when they began making us read all the fracking time. Now I'm getting back into reading, though i still watch alot of movies except during the school year when i'm reading stuff for school. But once school is out or on breaks I read for my enjoyment. So for me the more I have to read the less I actually read. But if I had all the time in the world it probably be me alternating between watching movies and reading and writing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade Wilson View Post
    I've sort of noticed this too. I usually read on the commute to/from work and afterwards if I'm really engrossed or close to the end of the book but lately I've been watching anime on my commute. However, this goes in cycles. I'll buy a stack of books and read them all then take a break and repeat several months later.

At home, I really don't read as much as I used to but I have my TV on all the time.

I think because with TV I can just flip around and find something interesting. Books usually require me to do some research on what I want to read or I have to wait for a whim.
    I can relate to both of you. Hmm, it's interesting to see I'm not the only one that goes on reading binges and then movie binges. I was starting to think I was getting stupid or something.

Maybe my S is just growing hehe.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm always reading, still--but these days I do most of it online.

I like to read, but reading an actual book takes SO much of my focus that I rarely do it. When I read a good book, and good books are the only ones I have any patience for at ALL, that's what I'm going to be doing obsessively and without taking a break, until it's completely finished. I consume books when I read them. So I don't read as much these days. Too much else I'd rather do. I read a lot in captive places, though. When I'm traveling, I'm all about reading. And when I lived in New York and rode the subway all the time, I read a ton of books.

My main irritation with reading is that I don't retain stuff. I could read a boatload of classics, and if I didn't have to read them for an immediate discussion, I wouldn't remember them well enough to discuss them in detail even a week or two later. I retain the gist of the book, but not the detail.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post

My main irritation with reading is that I don't retain stuff. I could read a boatload of classics, and if I didn't have to read them for an immediate discussion, I wouldn't remember them well enough to discuss them in detail even a week or two later. I retain the gist of the book, but not the detail.
    I have that same problem.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    I'm always reading, still--but these days I do most of it online.

I like to read, but reading an actual book takes SO much of my focus that I rarely do it. When I read a good book, and good books are the only ones I have any patience for at ALL, that's what I'm going to be doing obsessively and without taking a break, until it's completely finished. I consume books when I read them. So I don't read as much these days. Too much else I'd rather do. I read a lot in captive places, though. When I'm traveling, I'm all about reading. And when I lived in New York and rode the subway all the time, I read a ton of books.

Exactly. And that's the frustrating element. It's like, you spend so much time doing something - for what? I tend to retain things I use, will need to use, or just fascinate me. Using up all your concentration for something you'll only retain just the general gist of seems like such an inefficient waste of energy, particularly when you don't need it. However, I read a lot in the context of work - retain it, use it, and learn quite a bit. (Or for translating, for example)...

Sniffles

I hardly watch movies or TV anymore. The older I get, the more I spend my time reading.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

It's harder to find time to read, Little Linguist! At least that's my problem.

Plus reading gets sort of lonely. I like to discuss what I get out of something with someone and it's easier to find people to discuss TV shows with than books.

heart on fire

I prefer to read.

When I was in college was the only time when I preferred watching movies over reading.