• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

News and Communication Style [split from NTs: Just Plain Rude?]

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Just a thought here, not particularly aimed at this post or any other.

A large part of how much "rudeness" a T gets away with has to do with how evenly they respond to the reactions they get. If one flames another, one has to be ready to stand and take what comes back in return.

If someone (T or F) comes down hard and heavy with a rude tone and insults and then gets hypersenstive when others give the same back in return, then people are going to start being confused by that person and in the end just not wanting to deal with them.

Then again, I've highly offended an NT's feelings by just saying I don't think Fox news is unbiased. :shock:

I think this comment highlights a germane point. Fox news demonstrates a bias in its presentation of the news in an "NT'ish" way. Most of the other news sources (esp. ABC) hold as great a bias (if not greater - perhaps greater only because it is more incestuously insulated) but present that bias in a more "NF'ish" way. Since the bias is presented with more consideration for news norms, people see it as more objective and believe it is more objective, when it is not.

Once could argue that while Fox News may be biased, it is more honest. The other major news sources are biased but are less honest in their presentation, and therefore are considered more acceptable.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think this comment highlights a germane point. Fox news demonstrates a bias in its presentation of the news in an "NT'ish" way. Most of the other news sources (esp. ABC) hold as great a bias (if not greater - perhaps greater only because it is more incestuously insulated) but present that bias in a more "NF'ish" way. Since the bias is presented with more consideration for news norms, people see it as more objective and believe it is more objective, when it is not.

Once could argue that while Fox News may be biased, it is more honest. The other major news sources are biased but are less honest in their presentation, and therefore are considered more acceptable.

You are kidding, right? This is a joke? I hope so.

Fox News airs altered photos of NY Times reporters | Media Matters for America

Aleph-One

MBTI Type
INTJ
This is so honest, it makes George Washington look like a pathological liar.
[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NYA9ufivbDw"]Some people say...[/YOUTUBE]
:yim_rolling_on_the_
Oh, the honesty!

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Since they weren't really related to NT rudeness but seemed like they could be an interesting topic by themselves I moved the above posts from this thread right here.

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Folks, by "honest" I meant honest in presenting in more inflammatory and openly biased ways. Clearly Fox is biased. Isn't it better that they don't work very hard to hide it.

But by your responses, it appears that you wear gigantic blinders to the bias of the more mainstream outlets.

I mean c'mon. A significant number of news correspondents were actually major players in former democratic party administrations. Yet to hear them in analysis you'd think they were presenting information from a non-partisan unbiased perspective. Stephanopolous and Moyers are a couple examples.

Then look at the other prominent faces...Dan Rather, Katie Couric, Charlie Gibson...the list pretty much could include all the ABC, CBS, NBC, CNBC, MSN famous faces. None of these people are moderate, conservative, or libertarian in their political perspective.
That's what I meant by incestuous insulation.

If a group of people all have the same bias and don't venture into hostile territory to be challenged, they will soon begin to believe that their bias is objective truth.

The only way I can see to get some glimmer of objectivity is to listen to a range of sources and try to strike the information that jumps out as inconsistent from more than one of them.

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
Since they weren't really related to NT rudeness but seemed like they could be an interesting topic by themselves I moved the above posts from this thread right here.

Isn't the way Fox or Limbaugh, for that matter, examples of the "I don't care what you think, I'm gonna trample these eggshells" style of communication?

Turn up the Ne/Ni a little bit. This is clearly related.

Dude, why are trying to censor me....(kidding!)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Isn't the way Fox or Limbaugh, for that matter, examples of the "I don't care what you think, I'm gonna trample these eggshells" style of communication?

Turn up the Ne/Ni a little bit. This is clearly related.

Dude, why are trying to censor me....(kidding!)

Your post could have been related. The ones that follow, mine included, not so much. I only removed the posts because I felt guilty about derailing juggernaut's thread. :)

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
"News and Communication Style" might have been a better characterization of my original point.

I still think heart's opinion of Fox based on style of presentation is a direct parallel to the NF - NT mis-communication tendency. But not because I think Fox is a great news source. I don't

I'd be interested in some dialog on topic, but I think burying this in Arts and Entertainment pretty much killed it.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
"News and Communication Style" might have been a better characterization of my original point.

I still think heart's opinion of Fox based on style of presentation is a direct parallel to the NF - NT mis-communication tendency. But not because I think Fox is a great news source. I don't

I'd be interested in some dialog on topic, but I think burying this in Arts and Entertainment pretty much killed it.

Burying? People post in A&E. It's about TV news, I don't see how it doesn't fit here.

Erudur

MBTI Type
INTJ
NF Idealic - 45 viewing
NT Rationale - 35 viewing
Arts & Ent - 3 viewing (2 of those are you and me)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Good threads are read and responded to no matter where they are. The shared haiku thread is in here. So if people are interested in the topic, they'll post on it.

TenebrousReflection

MBTI Type
INFp
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I think most of the political news personalities at MSNBC are pretty open with their bias as well and they are essentialy the left's answer to Fox. The rest of the serious networks do try to put on an unbiased face, but because they are consciously trying to be unbiased, if a unconscious bias slips in, they will deny it (I give them the benefit of the doubt that it is unintentional, but they are only human and to expect anyone to be completely unbiased all the time seems unreasonable to me).

Anyway, the topic of how type is reflected in the news is what seems more interesting to me, so lets get back to that...

How do you see fox as being NTish in their approach?
Granted I don't voluntailry watch fox, but my perception of them is that they focus on lots of social issues (FJ) and attempting to back their views up with facts and data (ST) - I don't hear a lot of theorizing and debate at a conceptual level that I'd expect if they had an NT bias.

Its been quite a while since I listened to him and I get the impression he may have become more closed minded over the years, but I do recall Limbaugh actualy engaging in debate as I'd expect an NT to, and the late Tony Snow would be a good example of a conservative NT (one I respected greatly).

Are the other networks more NFish than Fox?
I'd say yes, but more of a personality to personality view (Fox should also be judged on individual news personalities)

Stuff I don't watch very often
CBS - Don't watch enough to comment, but Couric I could see being an NF
ABC - Don't watch enough to comment,
CNN - I don't watch often, but I could see Anderson Cooper being an NF, I cant comment on anyone else on that network
NBC - I don't see it (at least not from Brian Williams (TJ?) or David Gregory (TP?)),

Stuff I watch ocasionaly or frequently.
MSNBC - Olbermann and Matthews both seem like NTs, Maddow seems NF. I don't watch the other news personalities on MSNC very often, but Schultz stands out as having an ESxJ tone to him.

Comedy Central - Stewart seems like an NT, but Colbert is probably an NF.

HBO - Bill Maher seems to clearly some kind of NT to me and is a good example of an NT approach to current events. Open debate without the political corectness filter.