User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: People-watching

Yep I people watch. It adds to my overall understanding of other people and myself. I've got to admit I'm guilty of wanting to read through peoples stuff, to get to know them better, but I refrain from doing so because it's a total invasion of privacy. Jeez. People stalker sounds so horrible T_____T

I just want to know you better, it's for my Fe project!!

MBTI
    IXFP
    Enneagram

sometimes I watch people for a quick sec then I don't think about them anymore.
    I daydream too much to stay focused on other people.

Banned

I find myself people watching almost every day. I travel by foot during the week and it seems to be an inevitable consequence. There are two things that strike me most, a person's gait and his/her shoes. I did a project for an anthropology class several years ago in which we had to describe the way the particular primates we were observing navigated their territory, and I haven't been able to shake the habit since. I catch myself puzzling over and describing the movement in my head. I like looking for patterns and similarities between body types and comparing the movements to other primates. It's amazing how much we look like bonobos in an upright position, lol!The shoe thing is probably related insofar as it's generally the wear that catches my eye.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Everyday. 50%+ when I'm out.

Yep, always do it. Goss makes the world go round.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    I don't. It seems to contribute to the overall magnificence of my life about as much as watching the pipes screensaver on my computer does. It might look different sometimes, but it's all the same. People are wonderful, but I just don't find it interesting to watch them. I'd rather ignore them, talk to them, learn from them, or do something with them. If I'm going to watch them, they better be doing something pretty amazing.

I love my own imagination and perspective and I don't really bother to wonder what it's like to be in someone else's shoes. Unless I like their shoes, of course, but I guess even that is only done for the sake of my own progress. In seeking what we want in life, we have to ignore thousands of things. And for me, people watching is one of them. Most people just don't offer me anything I'm looking for in that regard. I might miss an opportunity here and there, as we all do, but I'm still only trying to move in my own personal version of "up". And as long as I keep moving, I'm not really worried about any missed opportunities.
    Really? I don't feel this way at all. I'm really timid so I don't take as many chances as I really want to, but when I do- when I draw back the steel curtain so many people put up, people really surprise me. I think most people work really hard at seeming "normal" and people watching is a sort of one of the only ways to get at the weird insides without having to go through social defense. Each person is so many things to so many people. A lover, a friend, a child, a parent, a student, a mentor.

And even the little things unfold elegantly to reveal, it seems. I used to take a bus to class. And every morning a plumpish older lady took the bus at the same time, getting off at the same stop every day. She always wore very traditional, belly-bearing Indian dress, even though it was often chill. Until one day I suppose the weather got cold enough and she started wearing a powder blue full-length-ish puffy Marshmellow-man jacket over her belly-bearing outfits. I loved to imagine where she was going, and how the jacket came about.

I don't know. I guess I just see a lot of funny & touching things out and about. It's polite but silly to pretend we live him our own personal bubbles of thought, and we never seem to share this inner monologue cause it seems trivial.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Quote Originally Posted by juggernaut View Post
    I find myself people watching almost every day. I travel by foot during the week and it seems to be an inevitable consequence. There are two things that strike me most, a person's gait and his/her shoes. I did a project for an anthropology class several years ago in which we had to describe the way the particular primates we were observing navigated their territory, and I haven't been able to shake the habit since. I catch myself puzzling over and describing the movement in my head. I like looking for patterns and similarities between body types and comparing the movements to other primates. It's amazing how much we look like bonobos in an upright position, lol!The shoe thing is probably related insofar as it's generally the wear that catches my eye.
    That's so cool, juggernaut. Yeah, sometimes I'll go weeks looking for something in particular, to complement what I'd already thinking about. Sometimes it's something really silly though, like whether righties and lefties thread their belts in opposite directions, or friends and similar dressing patterns.

Walk is interesting, but I must admit I'm usually listening to the sound there. Some people walk really loud! And some people bob up and down a lot, while others glide by doing all the turning through the hips. I'm definitely going to have to check out some primate walking videos when I have the free time (establish a nice baseline and all).

Phantonym

I don't, at least not in real life. I'm too busy watching myself. But I'd like to do it. That's why sunglasses were invented.
    Online - yes, guilty as charged. Here my stalkerish tendencies are unleashed. I try to keep it under control and myself invisible.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Then what have you seen here, Sky is Blue? If you don't mind me asking. (I must admit to have not seen you around before.)

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Then what have you seen here, Sky is Blue? If you don't mind me asking. (I must admit to have not seen you around before.)
    I have seen loads of amazing people. And I know there's more to be seen And yes, I'm watching YOU.