User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 13

  1. #1
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default Evelyn Waugh, etc.

    I'd like to see a show of hands of Evelyn Waugh fans here - Brideshead Revisited, Vile Bodies, Decline and Fall?

    Also, what do you think of media inspired by his novels i.e. The Brideshead Revisited mini-series from the early 80s, and the more recent films of Brideshead Revisited and Bright Young Things (based upon Vile Bodies).

    If you are a fan of his writing or the related media, do you also like other writers from the modern period such as Henry Miller, F. Scott Fitzgerald, Agatha Christie, etc.

    I'd love some feedback from people who are interested in literature and/or inspired art and film primarily from the 20's and 30's.

  2. #2
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    So there is really no one one this forum who likes interwar era literature?

  3. #3
    Senior Member Tiltyred's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None
    Posts
    4,383

    Default

    I'm sorry to say I haven't read any Evelyn Waugh firsthand, but I loved the Brideshead mini-series with Jeremy Irons. I saw the newer one, but it just wasn't quite as satisfyingly tortured.

  4. #4
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tiltyred View Post
    I'm sorry to say I haven't read any Evelyn Waugh firsthand, but I loved the Brideshead mini-series with Jeremy Irons. I saw the newer one, but it just wasn't quite as satisfyingly tortured.
    Agreed. However, I loved the vulnerability and sweetness of Ben Whishaw's portrayal of Sebastien Flyte. The newer one took great liberties with the novel, not as accurate, but I really couldn't help but love Ben.

  5. #5
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    I am a big fan of Waugh's. Have you not read Scoop?
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  6. #6
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    I am a big fan of Waugh's. Have you not read Scoop?
    Nope haven't read that. What is it about?

  7. #7
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Nope haven't read that. What is it about?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoop_(novel)


    Probably Waugh's funniest novel. It's one of those rare LOL books, like A Confederacy of Dunces.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #8
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scoop_(novel)


    Probably Waugh's funniest novel. It's one of those rare LOL books, like A Confederacy of Dunces.
    I'll have to read it, then.

    A Confederacy of Dunces is one of my favorite books of all time!

  9. #9
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    Agreed. However, I loved the vulnerability and sweetness of Ben Whishaw's portrayal of Sebastien Flyte. The newer one took great liberties with the novel, not as accurate, but I really couldn't help but love Ben.

    The old miniseries is in my Netflix queue. I was disappointed by the new feature film. They really upped the sternness of Lady Marchmain, didn't they? And she is not the protagonist. Look at the DVD/video cover:

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._revisited.jpg


    I don't consider that an accurate visual representation of the story. The early part of Charles and Sebastian's friendship didn't have that luxurious, joyful feel it should have had, either. The nostalgic warmth of the first part of the book stands in relief to the heartache later. The new film had a grimness throughout. The boozing and languor seemed pathological in a way.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  10. #10
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    25,301

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    The old miniseries is in my Netflix queue. I was disappointed by the new feature film. They really upped the sternness of Lady Marchmain, didn't they? And she is not the protagonist. Look at the DVD/video cover:

    http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi..._revisited.jpg


    I don't consider that an accurate visual representation of the story. The early part of Charles and Sebastian's friendship didn't have that luxurious, joyful feel it should have had, either. The nostalgic warmth of the first part of the book stands in relief to the heartache later. The new film had a grimness throughout. The boozing and languor seemed pathological in a way.

    Yeah, yeah - I did notice that they demonized Lady Marchmain more.
    In fact, it's like the sold the movie based upon the idea of her being this overbearing mother who stood in the way of Charles' relationships with Sebastian and Julia.

Similar Threads

  1. MBTI of stock characters, archetypes, etc.
    By Zergling in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 37
    Last Post: 07-15-2017, 09:47 PM
  2. MMORPG's (WoW, Guild Wars, etc.) and MBTI types
    By Maverick in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 81
    Last Post: 09-29-2013, 10:18 AM
  3. Words of Wisdom, Inspiring Quotes, etc
    By rivercrow in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO