• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New StarTrek

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Damn nice, damn nice ! :D

I as a longtime fan, had some issues with some changes made to the ST universe, but I am over that cause the movie was so ultimatively great :D.

I was in a cinema yesterday with 99% male viewers and though everyone was very loud in the beginning they were very calm in the end and I bet some tears dropped :D.

So great, definitly a movie to take your girlfriend with you, mine was even more fascinated than I was and she hates Star Trek xD

I am gonna ignore the critics saying, they made to a big of a change to the ST universe, cause thats just conservative talk. I think too its time for change if the whole concept ought to survive :D

I give the movie 10 out of 5 stars :D

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
I can't wait to see it too, the trailer looks awesome and it's star trek ffs, even the shit ones still deserve to be watched. :D

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Just saw it. Excellent picture. Best one since First Contact. I loved how they handled the time travel in this one. Very resourceful way of rebooting a franchise.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I saw it a couple of days ago and I loved it. I wasn't expecting much and I'm quite critical of films - but even I almost shed a tear *sniffles*.

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm a bit late to head to the theaters right now, but maybe tomorrow if the line dies down a fraction of a percent.

I saw it a couple of days ago and I loved it. I wasn't expecting much and I'm quite critical of films - but even I almost shed a tear *sniffles*.

That's ok, apparently, so did Leonard Nimoy.

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Just saw it. Excellent picture. Best one since First Contact. I loved how they handled the time travel in this one. Very resourceful way of rebooting a franchise.

I knew you had weird taste in cinema Uber. And here's the proof.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
It looked real basic/amateur on the trailer, didn't think much of it.

... Looks like I got to watch it.

Synapse

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Yep its well done, the cast brings life to Star Trek, a cool movie that can continue the journey.

startre11.jpg

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1

+1

Not too impressed with Bana's bad dude though...

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
Watched it last night and it was awesome, I loved it, I enjoyed watching the gathering together of the main characters onboard the enterprise.

The only character I had (and still do) a bit of trouble accepting in their role, was sylar as spock, I kept waiting for him to start killing people and nicking their powers lol. :rofl1:

EDIT: did anybody else find themselves trying to type the characters through the film? :p

MBTI Type
INTJ
I loved it! It had humor, character and levity in addition to the fights and explosions. Which makes me think George Lucas should watch it so he can understand why he sucks.

Mole

Permabanned
I've just seen it and I thought it was awful.

I can't even bring myself to criticise it.

LunaIndigo

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I really want to see it! I'm not that big of a Star Trek fan (except for that Tribbles episode lol) but the trailers look awesome!

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
+1

Not too impressed with Bana's bad dude though...

Agree, he was uninspiring and I usually like him.
I've just seen it and I thought it was awful.

I can't even bring myself to criticise it.

That just means you loved it didn't you. It's okay Victor, we're all friends here, you can cry.

I really, really enjoyed it. Never much of a trekkie but I find myself completely hooked. I have a hetero man crush on Spock [big surprise I know].

kelric

Feline Member
MBTI Type
INtP
I saw it last night, and I enjoyed it - certainly enough that I'd go see a sequel, if they were to make one (and, come on... that was the whole point of the "reboot"). I thought that the storyline fit in well enough with established Trek story methods, and all of the little inside references were pretty fun (especially to the color red and the old red-shirt-of-death).

*minor spoiler alert*

Characterwise, I thought it was *okay*. Everything seemed a little too exaggerated for me. There was very little subtlety in the characterization, and introducing all of the main characters, although fun, seemed rushed. I know that the characters are all much younger in this film than in any of the previous shows/movies, but it seemed *too* overdone that way. While some of the characters (Kirk, Spock, Sulu) seemed at least close to their traditional characters, others (Uhura, McCoy, Chekov) seemed very different and not altogether plausible. The "bad guy" was eminently forgettable, but other than Ricardo Montalban's Khan, that's pretty normal for Trek - it's almost always about the crew, not the bad guys.

Although I enjoyed it, it didn't altogether *feel* like Star Trek of old. It felt like... a Michael Bay boom-boom Star Trek with Abrams flashy but superficial-characterization (Yeah, I know it's not fair to compare the new cast with one that was established over the course of three seasons of TV and numerous films, but there you go). Even Star Wars Ep. 1 *felt* like Star Wars (even though the story and acting were horrid, the setting really *did* match well to Star Wars). This Trek didn't, nearly as much.

*minor spoilers over*

All in all, I liked it, and I think most of the people in the theater with me did too. It wasn't "old Trek" - but it has some potential for fun summer action movies with ties to the established Trek universe. Not sure what I'd rate it as, but I enjoyed it and am happy I paid to see it in the theatre, so that's what matters, I guess.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I liked it.
As far characters being over done. People mellow with age. :D

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
Good acting, good story, surprisingly funny, very few slow parts, plenty of special effects and fighting. It makes the recent Star Wars movies look like boring crap.

But I didn't like how Kirk/feelings kept winning out over Spock/logic. That always happens in movies!

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
I was watching BBC breakfast news the other morning and they had two 'people' on that had seen the movie. One was a guy dressed as a Klingon and the other was a guy that had converted his flat to look like the interior of the next generation enterprise (he's done a really good job on it). Unsuprisingly they both thought it was excellent.

What amused me was when the presenter asked the Klingon if he'd gone to the cinema dressed like that he looked indignant and replied "I don't do that". But you don't mind being seen like that on national TV .... hmm.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It looked real basic/amateur on the trailer, didn't think much of it.

... Looks like I got to watch it.

That's how I felt about it. The trailers have made the movie look like some awful actiony knock-off. Going to see it this evening. Changed my mind after my roommate's best friend saw it and liked it.

Good to hear that most people like it. This may well be another example of poor selection with movie trailers in film promotion.

Last edited: