• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New StarTrek

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Good acting, good story, surprisingly funny, very few slow parts, plenty of special effects and fighting. It makes the recent Star Wars movies look like boring crap.

But I didn't like how Kirk/feelings kept winning out over Spock/logic. That always happens in movies!

It might always happen in movies. But you'll find that people even in real life follow those who are passionate and show it. When someone is passionate about something they have a vision. It's that vision that makes them someone to follow. It thought it to be rather good and thought provoking in some sense regarding the "battle" between Spock and Kirk.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Agree, he was uninspiring and I usually like him.

Although, it was a nothing character. I suppose any time they would've taken to flesh out that character rightfully went to introducing the main characters. Hopefully the sequel will improve this, just like in Batman Begins the focus was very much on Batman so Ra's and Scarecrow weren't as developed and compelling as the Joker in TDK.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
it was phenomenal. I haven't really been into Star Trek until now, and seeing the movie, I was amazed I'd never gotten into it before. My dad used to watch all the old episodes and he said they kept it pretty real, character-wise. The theme was amazing. 10 out of 5 stars no doubt. I think I like it better than the three newest Star Wars, (old Star Wars is unbeatable). I'm going to rent the Wrath of Con soon.

Loved how they used the original Spock as the father in this one. It's awesome.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Although, it was a nothing character. I suppose any time they would've taken to flesh out that character rightfully went to introducing the main characters. Hopefully the sequel will improve this, just like in Batman Begins the focus was very much on Batman so Ra's and Scarecrow weren't as developed and compelling as the Joker in TDK.

Good point on the Batman reference, hopefully the next one will have a more interesting bad guy. Everyone loves a good bad guy, heh, but establishing strong main characters for continuations can be considered more important. Hadn't thought of it that way.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
it was phenomenal. I haven't really been into Star Trek until now, and seeing the movie, I was amazed I'd never gotten into it before. My dad used to watch all the old episodes and he said they kept it pretty real, character-wise. The theme was amazing. 10 out of 5 stars no doubt. I think I like it better than the three newest Star Wars, (old Star Wars is unbeatable). I'm going to rent the Wrath of Con soon.

Loved how they used the original Spock as the father in this one. It's awesome.

Did they use the original Spock for the father or for the old spock from the future?

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Future spock was the original.

I really liked it but I figure there will have to be another one coming out to fix it.

htb

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Less departure from canon than anticipated, far too many cuts and close-in shots, apt use of redheaded actresses, odd but defensible casting for villain, inclusion of Scott's cuddly cohort that piques interest, no shortcomings significant enough to make it less than two hours well-spent.

SpottingTrains

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w2
Not a Star Trek fan at all but I enjoyed the movie immensely.

Remember that reboots always have the added baggage of having to define all the characters from the beginning. You can anticipate that the sequel will have a lot more room to work with.

One criticism: Bana's character felt under-developed.

Also, Simon Pegg as Scotty was marvelous.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just saw it, it was an awesome movie. Not what I was expecting at all. Go see it, now.

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Saw it. Was great. I have very few complaints. It made me immediately want to go play EVE, though. Mmm...space ships and lasers and missiles.

I agree that it did feel rushed, but I am pleased that all the time travelling didn't turn into a mess as it easily could have.

JivinJeffJones

MBTI Type
INFP
Great movie, just saw it. I also enjoyed the whole time-travel/alternate universe thing. It'll mean they can play around with and re-explore that classic Star-trek era without having to worry about continuity so much. And Winona was in it! What a milf!

My main gripe is the incredible trivialization of black-holes. Those things were lame. I was more outraged by their disrespect for black-hole lore than their fundamental alteration of the Star-Trek universe. Ever since worm-holes came into sci-fi vogue people are just getting a little too cute with the whole concept. Soon they'll be using singularities instead of bin-liners. Or "Hi, come in, come in! Sorry the place is a mess - we had a little party last night and I haven't gotten around to cleaning it up yet. You want a coffee? Oh, watch your step there, Kevin dropped a singularity. Just step over the event horizon, I'll get it later. Cream and sugar?"

Oh, and Eric Bana was definitely too inherently likeable to be a convincing/scary villain, but he is Australian after all.

Eagle

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Future spock was the original.

I really liked it but I figure there will have to be another one coming out to fix it.

I know.

I just posed the question because someone had stated that Lenard Nemoy had played the Spocks father. I was like, "I don't think so.."

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I liked it a lot, although I was never a fan of 'first generation' star trek, and haven't seen the other movies.

The one thing that bugged me was that the whole red matter thing seemed very implausible - however in that way it's true to the series, lol. So overall, very entertaining and I anticipate the next one.