User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Default Geoff goes to a medieval joust - fun picture.

Hello all,

Thought you might like this - I found myself at a medieval joust unexpectedly when visiting a castle. A good opportunity to play with the camera!

Anyway check out this closeup. In particular the reflection in the breastplace (castle + man at arms "relancing" his knight)

Comments etc welcome as always :

-Geoff

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Neat. I'm not sure if cutting off the knight's head was a good idea (I keep expecting it to be there), though I do like the reflection. I think if the top of the image was cropped just so half of the horse's ears went off the image, it would feel even more solid and draw more attention to the breastplate.

MBTI
    INXP

Yes, there is a wider shot with the head in it too, which is quite neat, but I was trying to drawn an attention to this finer detail. I might post the full shot too!

-Geoff

MBTI
    INXP

Ok, here's the picture without the crop and sepia

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I wonder if the fabrics are true to period and if so, I would like to see them close up and touch them.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I wonder if the fabrics are true to period and if so, I would like to see them close up and touch them.
    It was a pretty good event.. lots of knights charging around knocking each other about with lances and organised by English Heritage. They claimed it was all authentic (but they would?)

-Geoff

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    It was a pretty good event.. lots of knights charging around knocking each other about with lances and organised by English Heritage. They claimed it was all authentic (but they would?)

-Geoff
    What I can see of the shirt sleeve does not look mass produced.

My group uses foam-padded weapons and only fight on foot.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ISXJ

Very nice pics! I really like both, although I will say that the first looks more authentic to the period. In the second you can see the people in the background wearing colorful tee-shirts and shorts (which, while fun, is not quite representative to medeival times). What kind of camera do you use BTW?, because the focus and clarity of the picture is awesome!

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    Very nice pics! I really like both, although I will say that the first looks more authentic to the period. In the second you can see the people in the background wearing colorful tee-shirts and shorts (which, while fun, is not quite representative to medeival times). What kind of camera do you use BTW?, because the focus and clarity of the picture is awesome!
    Exactly, that is why the crop and the sepia, it takes out the modern background (which I can't easily get rid off with photoshopping.. it just looks too unnatural )

The camera is a Canon Digital-SLR EOS300D (also known as Digital Rebel). The lens is a Canon 70-210 that is no longer made. The sharpness is near L glass quality and can be found on Ebay (like I did this one) for about $100. Only weakness is occasional purple fringing (as can be seen around the horse's eyesockets.

-Geoff

MBTI
    INFP

I think the top one is the best, it evokes images in my head of the knight coming towards me, almost as if it doesn;t stand still but is right up either in my face, or I am at the side watching the knights go off to war.

Will you carry my token into battle with you good sir? lol
    "No one can be free of the chains that surround them"